Solo of the Month (SotM) #69 - Challenge

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2021

Likewise - I mean to do one every month, but I never quite find the time. I'll try and do this one. I don't vote because of this - I try not to listen to what other people do before I do mine in case it influences what I do, and get stuck in a circle of not doing anything at all!!

Does this backing track from @imalrightjack ;;meet your criterion for metal?

IIRC when I had a go at a heavy metal backing (many moons ago), you were the one that pointed out that it didn't sound like proper metal

It's fine for metal! Haha - not sure that was me, I don't think I'd have been rude enough to diss a backing someone else had done  (I am now worried that it was me!)

Perhaps it was implied in your third post on the thread at the link below, where you describe your approach to SotM52

To be fair - you had a point.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036

Likewise - I mean to do one every month, but I never quite find the time. I'll try and do this one. I don't vote because of this - I try not to listen to what other people do before I do mine in case it influences what I do, and get stuck in a circle of not doing anything at all!!

IIRC when I had a go at a heavy metal backing (many moons ago), you were the one that pointed out that it didn't sound like proper metal

It's fine for metal! Haha - not sure that was me, I don't think I'd have been rude enough to diss a backing someone else had done  (I am now worried that it was me!)

Perhaps it was implied in your third post on the thread at the link below, where you describe your approach to SotM52

ahhh...all I meant really was that you'd done something a bit more inventive (musically and rhythmically) than a straightforward plod in Em with maybe a D thrown in occasionally! :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Likewise - I mean to do one every month, but I never quite find the time. I'll try and do this one. I don't vote because of this - I try not to listen to what other people do before I do mine in case it influences what I do, and get stuck in a circle of not doing anything at all!!

ahhh...all I meant really was that you'd done something a bit more inventive (musically and rhythmically) than a straightforward plod in Em with maybe a D thrown in occasionally! :) 
    You totally went in the book for that ;)

That SotM was before my time, I think...sounds okay to me!

• Likewise - I mean to do one every month, but I never quite find the time. I'll try and do this one. I don't vote because of this - I try not to listen to what other people do before I do mine in case it influences what I do, and get stuck in a circle of not doing anything at all!!

Now I’m insulted  =)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Now I’m insulted  =)
    Oh dear, I'm digging a hole for myself here aren't I?!  =) For clarification - I meant something more inventive than I would have come up with, as I would have totally chugged in E. 
  • @Vibetronic I’m not remotely offended, honestly :)

My band, Red For Dissent
    @Vibetronic I’m not remotely offended, honestly :)
     =) I didn't really think anyone was, I was just laughing at myself for making some frankly shitly-worded comments :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    I doubt I'll be able to take part this month, just waaaay too much to do. Also, I doubt I'd be able to do this backing track much justice with my playing style.

Will come back to vote and listen though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I doubt I'll be able to take part this month, just waaaay too much to do. Also, I doubt I'd be able to do this backing track much justice with my playing style.

Are you saying it’s not proper metal? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I doubt I'll be able to take part this month, just waaaay too much to do. Also, I doubt I'd be able to do this backing track much justice with my playing style.

Haha, no, not at all. I'm saying I'm crap at playing Metal.

B) 
    I doubt I'll be able to take part this month, just waaaay too much to do...

That's a pity, but you've certainly been a stalwart and entered (and probably won) more than anyone else.

It's not a competition.
  • I doubt I'll be able to take part this month, just waaaay too much to do. Also, I doubt I'd be able to do this backing track much justice with my playing style.

Haha, no, not at all. I'm saying I'm crap at playing Metal.

B) 
    Given my approach to the last one was a bit tumbleweed vote-wise, as it was very much different to my style, I have to say I still enjoyed it a lot.  I'm actually struggling to find five minutes to sit down and play over this myself - and it should be easy enough, given I wrote the track...sigh.

My band, Red For Dissent
    I doubt I'll be able to take part this month, just waaaay too much to do...

That's a pity, but you've certainly been a stalwart and entered (and probably won) more than anyone else.

Be back for next month. It's not been a normal month I'm afraid.

Next month will probably be Thrash Metal  :#
  • @Bellycaster That is thrash metal to my ears...however, good challenge!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I think I'll skip this one. Was tormenting my bass uke through a fuzz. But it is not yet to my liking and probably never will be. Used to listen metal a lot. Never learned to play it.
    Just a few days remaining. Entry closes at midnight 23rd April 2021.

It's not a competition.
    Entry sent, for once. I started off with a Strandberg into a plugin (Audio Assault something or other) for the first 10 seconds, then switched to my AZ/AX8 for the rest. The mixing is a little rough as I haven't recorded anything properly for a year, so I'm a bit out of practice!!
    edited April 2021
    Entry sent...
    Received. My god. Now I'm going to dig a hole and bury all my guitars in the garden  

... I'm a bit out of practice!!

...taking the piss now.

Although I might point out that it's far too clever and sophisticated to be considered 'proper' metal

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    edited April 2021
    @stratman3142 what you need to remember is that @vibetronic "out of practice" is around the equivalent of the rest of us practicing 10 hours a day for a hundred years 

EDIT : I've just had a listen, @Vibetronic ... f*** you man, f***********k yooooooooouuuuu!!! (I love it dude, absolutely awesome!)

... I'm a bit out of practice!!

...taking the piss now.

Although I might point out that it's far to clever and sophisticated to be considered 'proper' metal ;)

haha :) Out of practice at recording...the volume of the lead isn't consistent all the way through, and the whole thing took me a while as I always find I have to adjust my playing slightly going into a DAW rather than just playing through an amp/monitor. I also only just remembered to do a bit of EQ and do the mastering thing. It was a really fun backing to play over and made me think a bit which was good, so thanks for making it @imalrightjack ; =)

The others all sound great; I'm really glad I didn't listen before otherwise I'd have subconsciously nicked bits! @digitalkettle - love the phrasing in yours. 

I went for a little fill over the intro drums; I love shreddy guitar in sync with drums. That took ages as nothing fitted until I remembered a lick I've had for ages which did, so I just adjusted that.  Then a bit of melody. This took ages as what I first came up with was shit. Then tried to do a slightly slippery mid-paced lick finished with an ascending run, and the shreddy mid-section is totally nicked from Nuno's muted picking/legato thing, which is how I pick as alternate picking is not my strong point. Went for a melody after that, and was knackered with not much time left so just whacked a load of sweeps on the end. If I had time I'd do something a bit more thought-out there.