Favourite guitar based theme tunes to TV shows/films.

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Bonanza.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Sweeeeenaaaay yet...

And of course it wouldn't be the same without the Thames TV intro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

Neill said:
    I'EricTheWeary said:
    Neill said:
    This is another of my favourites - from the TV show "Angels".

There's a few versions of the tune on YT but this is the version I remember.

If we talk about old TV shows in the Weary household that was very much a favourite of MrsTheWeary. She's a Brummy nurse ( probably a trainee at the time)and that was about nurses in Birmingham so she could relate. I used to watch it a bit and once saw a bunch of the cast walking around the Mander shopping centre in Wolverhampton which seemed quite exciting at the time. 

One of the cast was Pauline Quirke who had hosted her own show ( bear with) Pauline's Quirkes which had a resident band Flintlock. As well as featuring comedian Sarah Pascoe's future dad on vocals they used to do a little play on song at the start of the show which just about fits the category here... ( FF to 33 seconds)….    

Derek Pascoe went on to become a well respected jazz saxophonist did he not?  No indication of that destiny in the TV clip, but you can see the resemblance to his more famous daughter.

That show must have been a Thames TV only thing, I don't remember it at all.  There were definitely some advantages to living in the North back then..
    I remember it in the West Midlands ( on ATV). 

Nitefly said:
    Bonanza.

I was going to say that but the instrument on the original is so plinky plonky that I wasn’t 100% sure it is guitar. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Derek Pascoe went on to become a well respected jazz saxophonist did he not?  No indication of that destiny in the TV clip, but you can see the resemblance to his more famous daughter.

That show must have been a Thames TV only thing, I don't remember it at all.  There were definitely some advantages to living in the North back then..

We had it on HTV Wales too.  Maybe it was only the North which didn't show it!
    Philly_Q said:

Maybe YTV did show it and I have just erased it from my memory...
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    The correct answer is, of course, Paris Texas closely followed by Dead Man (the Jim Jarmusch one that is).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Neill said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think there was only one series in 1976 so I’m surprised anyone remembers it but it always stuck in my memory for some reason. Maybe it was the novelty of a drummer speaking ( IIRC he turned up later in The Tomorrow People). 
    Neill said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think there was only one series in 1976 so I’m surprised anyone remembers it but it always stuck in my memory for some reason. Maybe it was the novelty of a drummer speaking ( IIRC he turned up later in The Tomorrow People). 
    I think I remember it  for two reasons:
    • The novelty of someone so young having her own series, it seemed so unusual.  Still does.
    • The Flintlock connection.  I'd have had no idea who they were, except my sister used to buy a magazine called "Oh Boy" which seemed to feature them constantly - she always said she didn't like them but I think that's why we ended up with Pauline's Quirkes on every week.  And then Mike Holoway was on The Tomorrow People.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    What about the guitar part for blackadder or ren and stimpy?
    Yep. Ren and Stimpy for me too

https://youtu.be/OHPmI8x72Rk

I forgot how good it was 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Hardcastle and McCormick?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827

As far as cartoons go, Jamie and the magic torch had pretty cool music.

And psychedelic art.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Redlester said:

Roobarb and Custard has the nastiest fuzz tone ever and is a great tune. 

This (WISd)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Redlester said:

This (WISd)

I did sort of learn it once and was fairly sure from my googling that it isn't a guitar, it's a Moog synth through pedals. Written by Johnny Hawksworth who did all sorts of interesting things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hawksworth

Jalapeno said:
    Redlester said:

This (WISd)

I did sort of learn it once and was fairly sure from my googling that it isn't a guitar, it's a Moog synth through pedals. Written by Johnny Hawksworth who did all sorts of interesting things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hawksworth

I'm going to be really pedantic and say the show was called Roobarb, not Roobarb and Custard.

I've been saying that for 45 years but since 95% of the people who remember the show at all think it was Roobarb and Custard, I feel like I've become wrong due to the illusory truth effect....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    I found out recently that Drag Racer - the snooker theme - was a bit of library music written by a Canadian who had no idea what snooker was. It's quite a funny story.

Speaking of library music, no love for Alan Hawkshaw yet?

Not a TV theme, but he also wrote this (not-really-guitar-based-either) stone-cold classic which has been sampled a few times:

Nope - original themes only please.