Favourite guitar based theme tunes to TV shows/films.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’ve got an album which is the OST to Frankie’s House by Jeff Beck and Jed Lieber (Jerry Lieber’s son, I believe). Never seen the original mini-series, which was about a War Photographer in Vietnam, but the music’s great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Neill said:
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Sweeeeenaaaay yet...

And of course it wouldn't be the same without the Thames TV intro.
    "Who the hell are you?"
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner."

Not just the theme, but the incidental music was generally brilliant too.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    randella said:
    I found out recently that Drag Racer - the snooker theme - was a bit of library music written by a Canadian who had no idea what snooker was. It's quite a funny story.

Speaking of library music, no love for Alan Hawkshaw yet?

Not a TV theme, but he also wrote this (not-really-guitar-based-either) stone-cold classic which has been sampled a few times:

I suppose going by my original post library music shouldn't qualify as outside the "dedicated compositions" criteria.  But it's hard to know sometimes.

What I was trying (and failing) to avoid was existing well known rocks songs/tunes that have simply been cut and pasted into film and TV shows - there are legions of them and it's not very interesting.
    edited April 2021
    Neill said:
    I suppose going by my original post library music shouldn't qualify as outside the "dedicated compositions" criteria.  But it's hard to know sometimes.

What I was trying (and failing) to avoid was existing well known rocks songs/tunes that have simply been cut and pasted into film and TV shows - there are legions of them and it's not very interesting.
    It's murky because you get the feeling a lot of TV themes work this way - someone finds a tune in a library. Unless you're Dennis Waterman and your contract stipulates that you sing the theme .

Films are a little different I guess, bigger budgets and higher profiles (various Bond themes by a different artist every time).

Have we had Henry Mancini yet? Pretty sure the Pink Panther theme was a one-off for the film. Possibly Peter Gunn too...?

Struggling to think of guitars specifically though. This is hard!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Redlester said:

Roobarb and Custard has the nastiest fuzz tone ever and is a great tune. 

This (WISd)

I did sort of learn it once and was fairly sure from my googling that it isn't a guitar, it's a Moog synth through pedals. Written by Johnny Hawksworth who did all sorts of interesting things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hawksworth

I'm going to be really pedantic and say the show was called Roobarb, not Roobarb and Custard.

I've been saying that for 45 years but since 95% of the people who remember the show at all think it was Roobarb and Custard, I feel like I've become wrong due to the illusory truth effect....
    Although the later follow up series was Roobarb and Custard Too. Which is neither but maybe some justification for calling it Roobarb and Custard? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    What about the guitar part for blackadder or ren and stimpy?
    +1 for Ren & Stimpy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPmI8x72Rk
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Redlester said:

This (WISd)

I did sort of learn it once and was fairly sure from my googling that it isn't a guitar, it's a Moog synth through pedals. Written by Johnny Hawksworth who did all sorts of interesting things

I'm going to be really pedantic and say the show was called Roobarb, not Roobarb and Custard.

I've been saying that for 45 years but since 95% of the people who remember the show at all think it was Roobarb and Custard, I feel like I've become wrong due to the illusory truth effect....
    I know how you feel.  I'm sick of reminding people that "Emmerdale" was originally titled "Emmerdale Farm".  So when I remark that, for example, Lesley Manville used to be in Emmerdale Farm, I mean she used to be in EMMERDALE FARM, not "Emmerdale". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Ooh ooh got one!

Mike Judge wrote it apparently, as well as the programme in which he did all the voices. Quite the Dave Grohl work ethic.

EDIT - and it was mentioned on page one. Never mind. I'm out. :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    randella said:
    I found out recently that Drag Racer - the snooker theme - was a bit of library music written by a Canadian who had no idea what snooker was. It's quite a funny story.

Speaking of library music, no love for Alan Hawkshaw yet?

Not a TV theme, but he also wrote this (not-really-guitar-based-either) stone-cold classic which has been sampled a few times:

The Grange Hill theme also used for the TV show Give Us A Clue for a while. I don't know if being used for two shows is unique but it is unusual. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

The Grange Hill theme also used for the TV show Give Us A Clue for a while. I don't know if being used for two shows is unique but it is unusual. 

Ah, that would be the show featuring "mime master" Lionel Blair.

Who could forget the relish in his eyes as he got stuck into Howard's End..

Or when he received Free Willy from Michael Parkinson..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Redlester said:

This (WISd)

Although the later follow up series was Roobarb and Custard Too. Which is neither but maybe some justification for calling it Roobarb and Custard? 
    No-one of our generation ever watched that though, did we?  Unless with small kids or grandkids.

And it wasn't made until 2005.  I'd been correcting people for 30 years by then. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
  • LogieLogie Frets: 440
    Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. 
    The Bridge.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Persuaders, classic, still sounds good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom