Music Podcasts

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2558
Anyone have any music podcast recommendations? I have od'd on True Crime during my walks and I'm after some lighter listening.

One I've enjoyed is Song Exploder which is available both as a podcast and series on Netflix.
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618
    Sodajerker and Broken Record, depending on the guest. The NAMM Music History Project podcast is worth keeping an eye on. I liked Music Exists (I assume it will come back for another series at some stage), but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Wind of Change was fantastic fun, but it's obviously not a pure music podcast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Re. Sodajerker, the obvious thing is to work through the artists you like most first, but some of the best are the ones you might not immediately gravitate towards. I remember the Mann & Weil one being great fun, for example.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Oh the 9-42 one with our own @Jason ;

I know I suck up about this but I've tried random other ones and nothing else I go back to. I haven't listened to them all but you can choose the ones you fancy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader

I know I suck up about this but I've tried random other ones and nothing else I go back to. I haven't listened to them all but you can choose the ones you fancy. 

thank you :-)

I'm really surprised about how well the latest one with Doug from GS & Auden has gone, it flew straight away and kept going

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Sodajerker looks a good shout - something there for everyone
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Yo Mister, hope things are good with you. Joe Pug's "The Working Songwriter" is often pretty good. I recently enjoyed the Will Johnston episode, and it gave me a renewed appreciation of his main band, Centro-matic. It'll be good to catch up soon. Coffee (or even... shock horror!... a BEER in Perth sometime not too soon?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Jason said:

thank you :-)

I'm really surprised about how well the latest one with Doug from GS & Auden has gone, it flew straight away and kept going

I didn't think I'd be all that interested but it was really good. I clearly knew zilch about Auden beforehand! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Hey @camf - I'll check it out. Hope all's fine with you. Yeah a beer in one of Perth's many alfresco establishments would be good. Push comes to shove, we could take a carry out down the Inch!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Some of my favourites mentioned already, but I'd also add Sound Opinions, which is more of a magazine show rather than the long interview format most of the others use.

More guitar oriented but very good are No Guitar Is Safe and Cory Wong's Wong Notes.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

One other I'd forgotten about is Critical Karaoke, hosted by three college professors; it was short-lived unfortunately, but I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

• pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Turned out a punk is amazing - if you like that sort of thing! 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I quite like Strong Songs, but it’s one of those where you get much more from it if you already like the song he’s breaking down. But, it’s also prompted me to listen to some songs I’d previously ignored / overlooked.

pedalo said:
    Looks interesting - lot's to choose from anyway!
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    A friend of mine recently started one "Gig it up"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gig-it-up/id1540333276

Join performers and live music lovers Rebecca Biscuit and Nick Field in a funny and enlightening deep dive into seminal concerts throughout pop history. In each episode the duo discuss, debate and dissect a great gig by a great music act. This podcast is filled with revelations, discoveries and new twists and takes on the craft of creating gigs by major artists. Also featured are hilarious firsthand insights into the ridiculous world of, slightly more downscaled, touring performers. You love live music, seeing your favourite music acts perform and the thrill of a gig, and Nick and Rebecca do too!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    ewal said:
    pedalo said:
    Looks interesting - lot's to choose from anyway!
    Yeah he gets a good range of guests - even ones that you wouldn’t associate with punk. I really like the Robbie Brookside episodes in particular. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I've just started listening to Rockonteurs with Guy Pratt and one of the Kemps. Enjoyable so far. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I got into Nothing Is Real a Beatles podcast due to a recommendation on here. Super timeline detail on the Fabs delivered in a digestible format. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• CostelloCostello Frets: 44
    QueenPod: The Queen Podcast is fantastic if you like (or think you'd like), well, Queen obviously :) They go track by track with some really impressive insights into the music, vocals and history of the band, and Queen have given them permission to play their songs, which really adds a layer of richness to the experience. 2nd season just finished today and they're about 2/3 of the way through the studio albums - good time to jump onboard! 

It's A Pixies Podcast is a really good documentary podcast series following the Pixies as they made their most recent album. Lots of in-studio and creative process chat. 

Runnin' With The Dweezil is Dweezil Zappa talking to a host of well-known guitarists about Eddie Van Halen's techniques and contribution to music. I'm loving it. You need to pay for full episodes, but you can get snippets of every ep for free to see if it sounds like your cup of tea. I had never paid for a podcast before but am not regretting it; I think I'll go back and listen multiple times. There are bundles which work out cheaper than paying episode-by-episode, and you can choose to only pay for the Roth or Hagar years if you prefer. It's available via Dweezil Zappa's website. 

Thanks @english_bob for recommending Wong Notes upthread, I've started binging that this week. And I second your recommendation of No Guitar Is Safe, even the episodes that don't sound my cup of tea on paper always contain some interesting nuggets and Jude Gold is such a charming host. 
    I listened to an episode of Life of the Record this morning, where 'classic albums are told by the people who made them'. It was about the making of Thinks We Lost In The Fire by Low. Quite enjoyable.
  • andyp said:
    I quite like Strong Songs, but it’s one of those where you get much more from it if you already like the song he’s breaking down. But, it’s also prompted me to listen to some songs I’d previously ignored / overlooked.

I hadn't heard of this one before, and have really enjoyed the episodes I've tried so far - thanks for sharing!
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans