Ever walked into a record store and bought the record that was playing ....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
... having never heard it before?

I've done it three times

1 Lime spiders Slave Girl Ep. I was blown away by the energy of the track 25th hour - wonderfully raucous!

2 I went into Andy's, the best record store in Norwich. It was some time early 80s and I had gone to buy the latest Deep Purple album. Purple Rain had just been released. I knew of Prince but he was of zero interest to me. Anyway, Darling Nikki came on and I loved it! I went to ask what the record was and was most surprised that it was Prince. Bought the album and still love it, one of the best releases from the 80s. Sadly, Prince was never that exciting again (for me). At the time I couldn't believe I was walking out with a Prince album!

3 I was up in the Jazz section of Tower records, probably late 80s, and they were playing the Afro celt sound system first album. I was wandering around browsing for about 20 minutes (wonderful record shop) and decided to buy it.

.... followed by 30+ years of it not happening again ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2021
    Yep and I think they were all at HMV stores
    MSG (Michael Schenker Group)- Live at The Budokan
    Dub Side of the Moon by The Easy Star All-Stars
    Glory Road - Gillan
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    Yes America’s first album from the record shop in Andover in the early eighties. It was the only copy so I had to stay there until it finished. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    HMV in Bath I think.....The first Biffy Clyro album.
  • In my home town in Marlborough, I walked in to the long gone record store that I had spent a fortune in over the years. U2’s October was playing, I bought it on the spot, still love early era U2.
  • MattWMattW Frets: 80
    Used to happen a lot for me in a small shop on Park St back when I was living in Bristol - can’t even recall the name of it now, closed years ago. Got the first Charlie Parr album in there plus a ticket for a gig he was playing a couple of weeks later based on the track that was playing as I walked into the store. Another time I was queueing for something else when Thickfreakness started playing. By the time I got to the counter I had no interest in what I was originally waiting to buy and had to have that instead. Used to love that place, was gutted when I went back a few years after moving away and found it had closed down.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Couldn’t Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughn. It had just come out , 83?, I’d heard about him but hadn’t heard him playing. I asked at the counter who it was and then remembered his name and bought it.  
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    About twenty years ago when I was still living in the States I was browsing around in Newbury Comics in North Attleborough. They had this amazing music playing over the sound system. Went to ask the guy at the counter what it was and he told me it was The Fucking Champs. So with a name like that & the music being cool I thought "well, gotta buy it" and did.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Al green let’s stay together and the raconteurs, consolers. Almost bought the Trojan ska collection playing the other day. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I’ve done this a few times over the years, I’m sure. I remember having a nice chat with the guy serving in HMV Trafford Centre a few years ago who sold me a couple of CDs based on something I said about who was playing when I walked up to pay. I always used to feel like the staff in these shops would look at what you’re buying and make some sort of judgment on your taste. :)

Sometimes you’d get a decent conversation too. I was practically on first name terms with the folk in HMV in Leith back in the early 2000s when I worked nearby.

I miss this stuff actually. Those days are long gone.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Last time I was in HMV Belfast - feels like a lifetime ago....   Surprise Chef - All News is Good News. This funky, 70s sounding music was playing - for the first time in years, I asked the girl at the till who it was and bought the last (only?) copy they had. 

I hadn't done that since the 80s. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Yeah, there was a little independent store playing BRMC's debut album - Specifically the track "Rifles". Bought that.

And not exactly a record store, but WH Smiths in Stratford was playing the Music's debut album and I got that too.

I'm sure there've been others, but they're the two that spring to mind.
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited April 2021
    Amy Winehouse’s first album - they were playing In My Bed. 

I think that was the last new music I bought lol. Terrible I know!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited April 2021
    Yes, in a record store in Vienna when I lived there, a local band called Les Hommes Sauvages album was playing, bought it on the spot, still in touch with a couple of members of the band in fact to this day.

It wasn't this song (the only have a couple songs on Spotify) but this is the general style
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    Yes, Björk’s Debut.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    At Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus, on separate occasions, I bought Kula Shaker's "K" from the main bit and a Hounddog Taylor album when in the blues section.

I also used to buy many of the albums I heard when I went into the late, lamented Terrapin Trucking in Crouch End. That was a magical place.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Yes a Gretchen Peters album many years ago. Must have caught me in the right mood as I never really enjoyed it again. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    4 times for me..

1. George Clinton - R&B Skeletons In The Closet .. After hearing the killer bass on 'Hey Good Looking
    2. The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony etc .. cos of 'No Speak No Slave'.
    3. The Darkness - Permission To Land .. cos of 'Love Is Only A Feeling'.
    4. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid .. cos 'Wondaland'.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Audioslave - went into HMV Reading, heard it, asked assistant what it was, he told me, I bought it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Yeah a few times.

Ironically mostly albums I never listened to again.  It's the "buoyancy" of going in all happy because you are going to have a bit of a splurge...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Does listening to the albums on headphones in the store count? I used to spend a lot of time listening to them. Can’t remember specific albums......might have got L7 Bricks are Heavy and Teenage Fanclub’s Bandwagonesque this way.