Ever walked into a record store and bought the record that was playing ....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Not as far as I can remember, but I did once drive directly to a record shop and buy the album after I heard a song for the first time on the car radio.

Evanescence - Bring Me To Life - Fallen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I was in the old Reddingtons Rare Records in Brum in the early 80’s and “Satan’s Serenade “ by Quartz came on, thought it was great, bought it  on red vinyl, and the chap asked if I wanted it signed as the lead singer ,Taffy Taylor, was stood behind me!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    ICBM said:
    Not as far as I can remember, but I did once drive directly to a record shop and buy the album after I heard a song for the first time on the car radio.

Evanescence - Bring Me To Life - Fallen.
    Same. Never regretted that purchase. Has very much stood the test of time too. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Grumpyrocker said:

Never regretted that purchase. Has very much stood the test of time too. 
    Still one of my favourite albums of the last 20 years. Shame the band didn't! They were never the same after Ben Moody and David Hodges left.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Once at Fop. Bought the Ryan Adams self titled album. Still play it now, fantastic depth.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin in Nottingham MVC amazingly!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Beta Band “Dry the Rain” was playing, just had to buy their “The Three EPs”
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    Yes, the Propellerheads album Decksandrumsandrockandroll
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Rudder - Matorning.

There must be others but none comes to mind right now.
    Be seeing you.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    The Beta Band “Dry the Rain” was playing, just had to buy their “The Three EPs”
    Were you in Championship Vinyl by any chance? ;)

I'm sure it's not the only time I've done this, but I remember doing it in HMV in Sheffield with an album by Robert Randolph and the Family Band. I kept hearing tasty blues licks, then a guitar doing things I was fairly sure a guitar couldn't do. "What witchcraft is this?" I asked the guy at the counter, and he duly sold me the album.

On the back cover is Randolph's pedal steel. Oh. Riiiiiight.

I also had the memorable experience of working in a record shop one Christmas (between jobs, had always fancied it...). It was a bit of a game for us to try to pick stuff to play on the shop stereo that people would buy. I know I shifted a few copies of a Chess records compilation (everybody needs Chess Chartbusters Vol 1-6), and the first Crosby, Stills and Nash album. The boss eventually had to institute a rule that we couldn't play anything on the stereo we didn't have two copies of in stock.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited April 2021
    Yup a few times.

Portishead Dummy
    Mandaly Empathy
    Ron Sexsmith Secret heart
    SOAD 1st album

Sad part of this, is that I can't remember the last time I actually set foot in a record store... must be at least 10 years and that was most likely an HMV :(
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I've done this just once that I can recall, which given how much time I've spent in record shops seems low.

It was in an HMV (I think) in Welwyn Garden City. I was in the habit of finding a record shop in whatever city I was in on a Monday (I travelled a lot) and looking at the new singles, since they'd often be heavily discounted the first week.

The Killers' Hot Fuss was playing, having just been released that day I believe. It sounded ace. Me and a colleague both bought copies.

I've listened to it about twice since. :(
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Only once, the first Rage Against the Machine album.
    Like an earlier poster though, I used to shop in Bristol's Park Street, and also at the top in Revolver where Roger used to get me into all sorts of good music.
     I also had a similar experience with the Couldn't Stand the Weather album by Stevie, my mate was in a Clash type band when that came out but he was a guitarist and played it for me - before the first track was done I knew I was buying it and moving on from punk.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Once. I found the CD again recently, it was the second Grandaddy album and it's actually quite dull. Oh well.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Not actually in a record shop, but I was at a film festival once and between films they were playing tracks by what turned out to be a French band called Nouvelle Vague - they did lounge music versions of things like Love Will Tear Us Apart, Making Plans for Nigel and Too Drunk to Fuck.

Anyway, I bought it and it was shite.  One track at a time it was amusing, but as an album it got irritating really quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited April 2021
    I went to see Cathedral at Manchester in I think 95. Fantastic gig. And the support band Mourn (who I'd never heard of but I believe Reverend of this parish was involved with) were so damn good both me and my mate bought their CD right there. 

Still have the CD. Just as well, it's not on Spotify. 

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited April 2021
    Meddle by Floyd in my local guitar/music shop after they played it on vinyl record store day 

Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse in Tesco Home & Entertainment

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I was in a record shop once and there was some great guitar playing, I asked the chap and he said it was Steely Dan who I had never really listened to. I bought the best of, didn’t sound what I had heard at all. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    edited April 2021
    Bought a Gloria Estafan cd on hearing Oye mi canto. The album was pants, in fact the song is a bit meh but the transition at the end of it were it does that syncopated brazilian thing is great. I played half a song on an album many times !
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Couple of experiences but not in record shops. Once a guy was driving past blasting out some great Hendrix styled rock that I liked. I caught up with him when he got to traffic lights and I asked him what it was. It turned out to be Robin Trower’s Bridge of Sighs. I bought the album later the same day. 

Another time I was walking past Dixon’s and heard a great groove, went in and asked who it was. Level 42, Love Games. Still got it on 12” vinyl.