SUEDE - Best Song

What's Hot

Comments

• stilwelstilwel Frets: 19
    Paul_C said:

Everything on the first album is great, but my favourite song for singing along in the car is this:

That tune is SO Bowie.  I know people always say the Bernard era is best, but I really like the Richard Oakes stuff a lot.
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    stilwel said:

No wrong answers. 
    Park Life.
    I stand corrected.   =)
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    KDS said:
    munckee said:
    Got to be Metal Mickey for me, first time I ever heard it was 1993 in an illegal student club in plymouth.

Also liked so young a lot.  My brother was in the fan club and is in the video to the Drowners!
    I was at Plymouth uni then in 93, what was the club?
    I can't remember I was visiting someone at the uni, it was in a derelict building and youhad to knock on a door and I kid you not a little eye slit opened and you couldn't get in without student ID.  There was a techno room downstairs and an indie room upstairs.

Awesome club.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    This still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, just about my favourite song ever 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    Wow, tough call to make as there are so many really great tunes. At this moment it would be "The Drowners", another time, another favourite.

• We Are The Pigs

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited April 2021
    The Wild Ones. Richard Oakes was just what they needed but Dog Man Star is my favourite album of theirs.. made under incredible strain it still makes me incredibly nostalgic. The start of another great era for British pop. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 391
    stilwel said
    I stand corrected.   =)
    ...said the man in the orthopaedic shoe.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Wild Ones. Richard Oakes was just what they needed but Dog Man Star is my favourite album of theirs.. made under incredible strain it still makes me incredibly nostalgic. The start of another great era for British pop. 

Wisdom for a glorious song.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    https://youtu.be/xOAMHGb7hPE

Pantomime Horse (in case link doesn't work).
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Still Life from Dog man star ( though they are all corkers) and It starts and Ends With You from Bloodsports probably top my list.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Dog Man Star LP never gets old. Couldn't pick out an individual track as they're all magnificent.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2021
    Not their best, but some nice guitar work.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    https://youtu.be/xOAMHGb7hPE

Pantomime Horse (in case link doesn't work).
    +1 - absolutely brilliant.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    Getting old is odd.  I couldn't name a Suede song if you paid me nor, apparently, could I identify one when I heard it on the radio the other day.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Hard to pick, but Beautiful ones was the song/riff I was desperate to master when it came out.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    yocky said:
    The 2 BB era albums are just spectacular.

Think We Are the Pigs is my fav. Shit ending notwithstanding. 
    Three BB era albums because the first disc of Sci-Fi Dreams is better than the first Suede album and not far behind Dog Man Star. Like Oasis with The Masterplan, it's completely right to include a B-sides album when it's that bloody strong. 

As for best song... New Generation is still my favoured warming up track when the guitar is plugged in. However best SUede song outright is this one. 

B-side on So Young, the last single release from the first album, and it shows how quickly Bernard went from the first album stompers to something more introspective and something that relied on more than guitarbassdrumsvocal. It showed how Dog Man Star would be. 

It's also my favourite because it will forever be associated with one of those perfect moments in time. FInished work one afternoon at Southwark College, walked into the centre to pick up a couple of classical CDs, called someone who would become my wife some six months later and talked. Afterwards I sat on the steps of St Martin-in-the-Fields with a cigarette looking out over Trafalgar Square, a mixture of warm summer evening and love and feeling every moment of this track going through me. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Ahh... Suede, probably the most under-rated band of all time.

Best songs?  Crikey.... very little weak material on the first three albums, or any of their early singles.  That what was essentially a break-up gave us McAlmont and Butler AND Suede Mk 2 is the kind of luck we just don't get any more.

As others have mentioned, like Oasis, they had nobody saying "let's hold this one back and stick a remix on the single" and so three albums of very strong Anderson/Butler material turned into two albums and some stunning B-sides.  These days, I guess a lot of those would be what they deserved to be... "streaming singles".

At least they didn't do it on PURPOSE like Mansun did.

Given Blur's B-sides were at best forgettable and Pulp never made a genuinely great B-side, Suede's achievement is even more remarkable.  Let's be honest Radiohead never made a B-side comparable to the stuff on their albums (OK, MAYBE "Talk Show Host").

Was going to go through and list favourites but it's far too difficult.  I guess my overall favourite is still "The Asphalt World".

Well done everyone mentioning the new stuff, they have done three very solid albums since their comeback, with a fourth due sometime this year.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I really love the song "Trash" as well.  

FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    edited April 2021
    Ahh... Suede, probably the most under-rated band of all time.

Best songs?  Crikey.... very little weak material on the first three albums, or any of their early singles.  That what was essentially a break-up gave us McAlmont and Butler AND Suede Mk 2 is the kind of luck we just don't get any more.

As others have mentioned, like Oasis, they had nobody saying "let's hold this one back and stick a remix on the single" and so three albums of very strong Anderson/Butler material turned into two albums and some stunning B-sides.  These days, I guess a lot of those would be what they deserved to be... "streaming singles".

At least they didn't do it on PURPOSE like Mansun did.

Given Blur's B-sides were at best forgettable and Pulp never made a genuinely great B-side, Suede's achievement is even more remarkable.  Let's be honest Radiohead never made a B-side comparable to the stuff on their albums (OK, MAYBE "Talk Show Host").

Was going to go through and list favourites but it's far too difficult.  I guess my overall favourite is still "The Asphalt World".

Well done everyone mentioning the new stuff, they have done three very solid albums since their comeback, with a fourth due sometime this year.
    Radiohead no good b sides, are you mad Ed??

how I made my millions, Palo Alto, killer cars, Lewis mistreated, the trickster -  the first that pop into my mind.