Giant Steps at 330 bpm

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3426

I want a full transcription on my desk by Monday morning, class!
And yes, Ben Eunson has joined the Ibanez AZ army.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    Omg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    I discovered Eunson about a year ago, he’s outrageous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    viz said:
    Omg
    Nothing that the great @viz couldnt handle! In fact I reckon you would improv a harmony in double stops for fun!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024

• Jesus wept. I did as well if we're being honest! 
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I can certainly appreciate the incredible dexterity and technical ability of players like this but the relentless barrage of notes sounds to me more akin to an endlessly nagging woman than anything of musical appeal. Sorry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    not my Giant Steps ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Jimbro66 said:
    I can certainly appreciate the incredible dexterity and technical ability of players like this but the relentless barrage of notes sounds to me more akin to an endlessly nagging woman than anything of musical appeal. Sorry.
    100% agree.

An utter waste of noise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited April 2021
    carlos said:

Great player I'd never heard of. Thanks for posting.

Love my new AZ2402, but I'd already got my eye on an AZ2204 as well.

It's not a competition.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    edited April 2021
    Jimbro66 said:
    It's bebop, so it sounds exactly like it's supposed to. It's just that a relentless barrage of notes ("sheets of sounds" is the actual term for it) is usually played on a horn. But there's a reason I put it on theory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    carlos said:

This is just an exercise, but Ben has released a rock album plus all the session work he does. In the rock album he sounds a bit like... Jeff Beck?!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was actually going to suggest Ace of Hearts myself and I also hear a fair bit Jeff Beck (with a healthy dose of Holdsworth). 
    Brad said:
    I was actually going to suggest Ace of Hearts myself and I also hear a fair bit Jeff Beck (with a healthy dose of Holdsworth). 
    There's a cover of  "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" on it, which I think Jeff Beck did the most popular guitar version.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited April 2021
    carlos said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    It's bebop, so it sounds exactly like it's supposed to. It's just that a relentless barrage of notes ("sheets of sounds" is the actual term for it) is usually played on a horn. But there's a reason I put it on theory.
    It was bebop guitar players like Jimmy Rainey that first inspired me in my teens but maybe that's 'old fashioned' bebop? The 'sheets of sounds' often associated with sax players have always left me asking "why?" but that's subjective of course.

As you said, it is posted in Theory not Music. In terms of technique it is mind-blowing.

FWIW I enjoyed the second posted video so thanks for that. Always good to hear new players in performance.
    edited April 2021
    carlos said:

They look and sound great. I wish my Vigier Shawn Lane had the same switching options. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    This is why some people ‘hate jazz’. Personally, it feels devoid of any ‘feel’ or swing. I appreciate there is a level of skill and talent required to deliver exactitude at these speeds but speed alone does not bepop make. I don’t much care for super high speed stuff but here’s an example of how phrasing manages to put feel into something so fast. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Swing is really hard to do above a certain level of bpm, and 330bpm, for that clever talented guitarist, is too high. To my ears there's no pocket.

I'd be disappointed if the guy in the video sees this as music and not a crazy exercise. It is crazy and impressive.

Anyone interested in the construction of Giant Steps - Bruce Gregario's video is a great start

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Swing is really hard to do above a certain level of bpm, and 330bpm, for that clever talented guitarist, is too high. To my ears there's no pocket.

I'd be disappointed if the guy in the video sees this as music and not a crazy exercise. It is crazy and impressive.

Like this?
    Interesting question... not for me, maybe it's the lack of other musicians to create tension, maybe it's the lack of dynamics (to my untrained ear)... 

For pocket I'd say: 

and although people are divided about him, this guy did write the book on sheets :) and swings 

but it's all different perspectives and this is just to my ear ... there's more meat on it (for me)
    Nice, I study from Zucker's book all the time. One day I might even use what I learned...
    Hmmm I think it's a little unfair to bring Sco into it smile 99% of guitarists can't touch him for pocket (amongst other things) and it's a totally different context...

That being said, I don't think it's anything more than a blast on social media. Silly tempo and a stiff backing track don't help don't help his style imo. He's got a cool approach and interesting lines nonetheless.

Still, out of anyone Joey Alexander's performance still truly floors me to this day. And that's in spite of him being 11 years old at the time.