SUEDE - Best Song

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670

munckee said:
    Ahh... Suede, probably the most under-rated band of all time.

Best songs?  Crikey.... very little weak material on the first three albums, or any of their early singles.  That what was essentially a break-up gave us McAlmont and Butler AND Suede Mk 2 is the kind of luck we just don't get any more.

As others have mentioned, like Oasis, they had nobody saying "let's hold this one back and stick a remix on the single" and so three albums of very strong Anderson/Butler material turned into two albums and some stunning B-sides.  These days, I guess a lot of those would be what they deserved to be... "streaming singles".

At least they didn't do it on PURPOSE like Mansun did.

Given Blur's B-sides were at best forgettable and Pulp never made a genuinely great B-side, Suede's achievement is even more remarkable.  Let's be honest Radiohead never made a B-side comparable to the stuff on their albums (OK, MAYBE "Talk Show Host").

Was going to go through and list favourites but it's far too difficult.  I guess my overall favourite is still "The Asphalt World".

Well done everyone mentioning the new stuff, they have done three very solid albums since their comeback, with a fourth due sometime this year.
    Radiohead no good b sides, are you mad Ed??

how I made my millions, Palo Alto, killer cars, Lewis mistreated, the trickster -  the first that pop into my mind. 

Ahh. now I didn't say they didn't do any good ones, just nothing that compared favourably to their albums, by which I mean the "parent" album, both Suede and Oasis shat out b-sides that easily could have replaced songs on the albums.

I'd say, while great, the B-sides from The Bends sound like songs that didn't make it onto the Bends, and B-sides from OK Computer are great and in the case of Palo Alto, fun, but nowhere near the quality of that unbelievably good album.

In the case of "Killer Cars" - that could probably have swapped with, I dunno, "vegetable" off PH and no foul, but I don't think it was properly recorded until the Bends era.

IMHO, YMMV of course - I'm biased by the fact I think The Bends - OK Computer - Kid A are something of a holy trinity! :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    yocky said:
    The 2 BB era albums are just spectacular.

Think We Are the Pigs is my fav. Shit ending notwithstanding. 
    Three BB era albums because the first disc of Sci-Fi Dreams is better than the first Suede album and not far behind Dog Man Star. Like Oasis with The Masterplan, it's completely right to include a B-sides album when it's that bloody strong. 

As for best song... New Generation is still my favoured warming up track when the guitar is plugged in. However best SUede song outright is this one. 

Sci Fi Lullabies is my favourite Suede Album !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • munckee said:
    Forgot about my dark star, that might just pip metal mickey!
    Another vote for My Dark Star, lovely song. Also on the B side was The Living Dead. The A side? Stay Together. 3 Brilliant songs on one bit of vinyl. 

Suede were up there with The Smiths on the quality of their B sides, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Fun factoid - my copy of Blood Sports is credited to The London Suede.
    Must be an American import.
    Not as good a band name is it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    AlexC said:
    Fun factoid - my copy of Blood Sports is credited to The London Suede.
    Must be an American import.
    Not as good a band name is it?
    Not at all. Unfortunate that they lost the name in the US to someone who was in no way likely to be confused with the band.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stilwelstilwel Frets: 19
    ICBM said:
    Not at all. Unfortunate that they lost the name in the US to someone who was in no way likely to be confused with the band.
    We just call them Suede over here.  
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    As I only know the Singles from Suede, I would say Trash is my Favourite.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Fun fact #2 - I once accused Brett of stealing my fashion ideas and bless him, he played along with it, saying he had indeed seen me earlier that day and decided to rip off my look.

A charming and wonderful chap.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    edited April 2021
    I'd agree with My Dark Star.

Also, The Asphalt World and Breakdown.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    Hattigol said:
    Fun fact #2 - I once accused Brett of stealing my fashion ideas and bless him, he played along with it, saying he had indeed seen me earlier that day and decided to rip off my look.

A charming and wonderful chap.
    “I was very, very drunk.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    munckee said:
    KDS said:
    munckee said:
    Got to be Metal Mickey for me, first time I ever heard it was 1993 in an illegal student club in plymouth.

Also liked so young a lot.  My brother was in the fan club and is in the video to the Drowners!
    I was at Plymouth uni then in 93, what was the club?
    I can't remember I was visiting someone at the uni, it was in a derelict building and youhad to knock on a door and I kid you not a little eye slit opened and you couldn't get in without student ID.  There was a techno room downstairs and an indie room upstairs.

Awesome club.
    Was that just off the Barbican? Robin Hood club..... it was pretty creepy/weird
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Was never a huge Suede fan, but yet I like almost every song I hear.. must spend some time revisiting the tracks in this thread.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Was never a huge Suede fan, but yet I like almost every song I hear.. must spend some time revisiting the tracks in this thread.
    The 2cd version of the new best of is one of the best compilations of a bands work I've seen, if it helps.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    The 2cd version of the new best of is one of the best compilations of a bands work I've seen, if it helps.
    Cool, will check it out!