SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Fender Custom Shop Pro Stratocaster 1107; G&L Espada; 1960/61 Epiphone Newport

What's Hot
I'm after two guitars and a bass, so just wondering if anyone has any of these they may want to sell.

The first is the Fender Custom Shop Pro Stratocaster 1107, the 22 fret model. It has lots of great features that I like (12" radius, roller nut, noiseless pickups, 2 point vibrato, large headstock, 22 frets) and I assume it was discontinued as perhaps the majority of Fender Custom Shop customer base don't like change from the original design! Any colour finish or fretboard material is fine as I don't really care what it looks like, but would prefer the guitar to be all original parts.  

https://ne1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net/00077D/fender/images/2013/customshop/retired-models/models/2009_strat_pro_1000.jpg

The next is the G&L Espada, which was released to great fanfare by G&l a couple of years ago as the last Leo Fender design (or something like that) then never available after the first ones sold. There is one at Andertons, but I don't want to pay £2k for one of these. Again, any colour finish or fretboard material is fine.  

https://glguitars.com/2020-clf-research-espada-lineup/

Finally, a bass. I have a 1960 Epiphone Coronet and would like the matching 1960 or 1961 Epiphone Newport bass. There was one available around October 2019 at GuitarGuitar, but I was moving house the next month so didn't want to splash out on guitars before doing so! I'm after one with the metal Epiphone badge on the headstock.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px180629329114003--epiphone-1961-newport-bass-cherry-pre-owned

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    That metal badge one was mine! My friend's collection has another, and it is coming up for sale in around 3 weeks. It is a 61 but has the pearl Epi logo rather than the badge. There were, I believe, only 114 made that year in total, and are super rare with either logo. I saw this one a couple of years ago and it seemed really nice. LMK if interested, thanks, and btw you have good taste!
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 268
    Zoonyboy said:
    That metal badge one was mine! My friend's collection has another, and it is coming up for sale in around 3 weeks. It is a 61 but has the pearl Epi logo rather than the badge. There were, I believe, only 114 made that year in total, and are super rare with either logo. I saw this one a couple of years ago and it seemed really nice. LMK if interested, thanks, and btw you have good taste!

Oh wow, that's interesting. What was it like and what made you want to sell it? I've never tried one, but like the idea of the scale length combined with that pickup and the 60 year old mahogany. My Coronet is great, there's something about it that I don't get with other guitars and was expecting that to translate to the bass too.

I thought that they may be rather rare, so a bit of a long shot. I would be interested in photos and the price of your friend's although my heart is set on the metal badge version so I have a matching pair. I buy some guitars for live use and others for collecting and those old Epiphones are more on the collection side for me as they're not the most versatile instruments!

Thanks for your compliment on my taste, but I can assure you that I've had some quite horrific guitars in my time!
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    I sold the other one as I wasn't using it, doh! I have an old 64 Rivoli which could do a similar thing, so thought it would be OK. I saw my Newport getting reduced in GG and almost pulled the trigger to get it back. Since then I've regretted it, and lined up a Newport double (!) from my friend's collection. An EB-3 a-like. My old metal badge Newport single played great and was actually an excellent gigging bass if all you wanted was low end, and that suits me. The frequency was centred way below the knees, and it was like a giant bear sound wise, if that isn't too strange an analogy. Definitely not versatile but 10 out of ten for low end and ease of playing. All you need is a big loud amp, and play softly. Perfect!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Zoonyboy said:
    I sold the other one as I wasn't using it, doh! I have an old 64 Rivoli which could do a similar thing, so thought it would be OK. I saw my Newport getting reduced in GG and almost pulled the trigger to get it back. Since then I've regretted it, and lined up a Newport double (!) from my friend's collection. An EB-3 a-like. My old metal badge Newport single played great and was actually an excellent gigging bass if all you wanted was low end, and that suits me. The frequency was centred way below the knees, and it was like a giant bear sound wise, if that isn't too strange an analogy. Definitely not versatile but 10 out of ten for low end and ease of playing. All you need is a big loud amp, and play softly. Perfect!

It sounds like it would have been perfect for me! Although I'm not a gigging bassist at the moment, I prefer a bassy sound rather than one with lots of high end added which competes with other instruments. You're obviously a fan of the old Epiphones then!

I must try a Rivoli when I get the chance as I reckon it would be right up my street too.
  • donnerdonner Frets: 48
    edited April 2021
    Just a little heads up –
    Brandnew Espada content on YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOnVZwR5-iE
    donner said:
    Just a little heads up –
    Brandnew Espada content on YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOnVZwR5-iE

Thanks for the link. It makes me want one even more now!
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 736
  • To revive this thread a little: 
    Anderton's Espada is on sale!
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gl-guitars/g-l-usa-clf-research-espada-in-sonic-blue

• donner said:
    To revive this thread a little: 
    Anderton's Espada is on sale!
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gl-guitars/g-l-usa-clf-research-espada-in-sonic-blue

Thanks for the heads up. I now have this guitar in my possession!
  • How much? Let me know how it is, I’m interested!