Jazzmaster not working

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3435
edited April 2021 in Making & Modding
So, my jazzmaster has stopped working on the main circuit. There is a very slight audio signal (you can hear it if you turn the amp up) but it's very quiet.

Rhythm circuit is fine.

Any ideas on the best place to start looking? Pots? Wiring?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73410
    Probably the rhythm circuit switch. If the top of it gets bashed it can push the contact strip out of the bottom of the frame and stop it working in one position or the other (or both, but not always). If it's just one it will be the position the switch was in when it got pushed that doesn't work now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14893
    If the pickguard has been up recently, something could now be making physical contact where it should not, shorting the signal to ground.

When I first got my AV65 Jazzmaster, it rattled. One of the little triangular steel thingies that fasten the control cavity screening plates had come loose. That could easily have bridged contacts across the Rhythm Circuit pots or switch.

On a Squier VM, CV or Mascis Jazzmaster, you have to wonder whether the slider switch itself is of adequate quality.

If you have had a budget JM screened retrospectively, the foil could be shorting against exposed metal parts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom