The new Oil City Redneck ... now a set

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
The new Oil City Redneck set in one of our demo Teles
We have worked hard to iron out some of the construction and reliability issues suffered by other SC sized noiseless Tele pickups ... and this is the second prototype set ... they sound pretty awesome :-) 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Does this mean you might be persuaded into noiseless Strat territory again?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader

Yeah that would be cool.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader

Yeah that would be cool.
    Possibly ... rails pickups are easy to knock together poorly, using proprietary bobbins and ignoring longevity ... but doing them right is very time consuming for a small business. People will say 'well I can get a Chinese rails pickup for a tenner what's so special about yours? It's tough to show how all nut three parts of the Redneck for example are made in our workshop ... we don't use plastic bobbins and assembly is all hand fettling and fitting. We might make more rails ... lets see :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• hi
    Can't see photos (because I'm blind, not because you did them wrong) but your previous post about this said it was HB sized, but this post mentions a single coil size? If the latter I am quite possibly interested. Are there sound clips anywhere?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    They are telecaster sized rail pickups.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    hi
    Can't see photos (because I'm blind, not because you did them wrong) but your previous post about this said it was HB sized, but this post mentions a single coil size? If the latter I am quite possibly interested. Are there sound clips anywhere?
    Yes they are rail pickups but they are the same dimensions as standard Tele neck and bridge pickups.

No soundfiles so far.

Ash, what pots do you recommend for these? 250k or 500k? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    your previous post about this said it was HB sized
    The critical omission in the earlier thread announcing this pickup model was the word Telecaster. Thus, no text reader could convey what would have been assumed to be self-evident from the photograph of the pre-production prototype pickup.
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    hi
    I'm sorry @bermudianbrit ;
    My granddaughter is blind due to being albino ... so I really should think more about making sure text readers can get all the info. 

I'm never very happy about 'sound clips' as the compression involved can make either the best pickup sound awful or some pile of tat can be made to sound better than it is (I'm super anti reverb and other effects being used on sound clips) - added to which in a tiny company like ours I simply don't have the time to make them (I'm too busy making pickups). Perhaps at some stage I can find a 'redneck jazz' player who will demo them in the way they disserve..   

•  Hi. No problem. So...are they single coils or hbs?

Matt
    tFB Trader
     Hi. No problem. So...are they single coils or hbs?

Matt
    They are single coil size humbuckers, so right on both counts :-)  As in: twin rail, low output humbuckers in Telecaster single coil form factor.