Partial barres - an unexpected problem

RockerRocker Frets: 4978
I have no problem using my fingers to play my bass yet never liked the feeling of my fingers playing the thinner strings of a guitar.

However to learn Stairway to Heaven it seems to be the way to go.  Stairway..... is a song that I never bothered learning but I decided, recently, to give it a try. The online instruction videos suggest learning the chord structure first.  On that basis the first chord is a shortened version of A minor at the fifth fret.  My problem is that the high E string (playing an A note) slips into the crevice of the joint between the first and second 'bits' of my fretting index finger.  And the note sounds muffled as a result.  Barring from the A string to the E string at that position ends up with the second (B) string muffled.

I want the strings to ring out so would welcome any suggestions on how to achieve this.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2021
    For the shortened version, how far is the finger tip of your index finger protruding beyond the 3rd string? It only needs to be far enough to hold down the 3rd string. Then (at least with my index finger) the first string is still on the index finger pad section.

It's not a competition.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited April 2021
    You only need to barre the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings while you fret the 4th string A and Ab notes. Then move your barre up to cover the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings at the fifth fret while your pinky is fretting the first string.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks @stratman3142 and @jimbro66 for your suggestions.  I will give them a go. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum