Bands with keys...

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
Do you add keys to every song even if it doesn’t have keys? It’s looking like we have decided to bring a keys player on board. 

Some songs like Immigrant Song (for example) don’t have keys, so would you guys add a keys part or tell the keys player to sit it out? Some songs are powerful as they are and I I’m thinking about how to manage it. 

How do you do it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'd probably add something in, it doesn't need to be overbearing and particularly noticeable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    We just seem to find a way.  If the original version of the song didn’t have keys, then our keys player usually tries to add something to the sound.  If we agree that it’s not working then he shakes a tambourine instead. He’s good like that.
  • As a keys player.... depends.

Firstly the set is based on having keys in most songs.

Some benefit from adding.  We do crazy little thing called love but the live version has a piano.   Also brass in pocket and there is an ep run in one place, so I added an ep.

Sometimes I'll try and fill a 2nd guitarists parts as we only have one guitarist.

Other things like faith doesn't have keys nor does it suit.   I play tambourine in that

I feel its important the keys player has vocals as well.  Can do complex harmony work if not playing key parts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    You have to be very careful, or else every song gets an extra helping of Chas N dave pub piano and gets ruined.
    Queen had Spike Edney nearly ruin tour dates by overplaying on songs that didn't need a honky tonk accompaniment in their final tours. 
    But in some bands like Deep Purple and UFO the piano can be an essential part of the tune.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited April 2021
    You have to be very careful, or else every song gets an extra helping of Chas N dave pub piano and gets ruined.

And this is the sort of shit I am living with at the moment.  Our other guitarist plays electric like an acoustic but he can handle keys.  The only problem is that he insists on overplaying and doing it loud, and badly.  It's like if he is not outplaying everyone else, he will lose the competition.  The point being that it results in stuff get heavily cockneyed up.

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Depends on the band's sound and purpose I think.

If it's rock covers in pubs I'd generally let them use keys to make things sound bigger. On your immigrant song example I'd be straight on the dirty Hammond as a starting point.

In one band I put a full orchestral patch behind Run to the Hills - strings in verses and brass with timpani added in the chorus - obvs not authentic but it sounded big, dramatic and a bit of fun.

Often put Hammond behind acdc. Some subtle synth strings behind Panama...

Depends how good the player is at listening and adapting too - if they don't get it, like some of the examples above, then I guess you may need to be more prescriptive.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Ideally it's always better to have someone who can play keys and guitar, pref with a good backing vocal too. 

One of the advantages with keys is you don't need to just play keys parts, you can sample and trigger anything from backing vocals to guitar stabs to bits of ambience that you don't even know is there until they take it away. 

All the 3 bands I play in have the same keys player and in the tribute we have 3 keys players inc me. But the patches need to be carefully considered and worked out, you don't want someone just banging hammond on everything. 

Having a sound engineer helps as keys can use up a lot of headroom in a PA and generally swamp everything onstage. We are all IEM in all bands so it's not a big problem and I enjoy listening to our guy panned in stereo in my ears. He plays all the little production tricklets live that are on the record. 

Ultimately is a good idea to have a keys player as there really isn't any cover you can't do with a bit of thought with a good keys player who's up on the production side as well 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I think with keys in a band context, the hardest skill is not about being a technically skilled pianist, but having a good ear and knowing when to be quiet.

Stuff that sounds impressive on a guitar is usually pretty easy to play on a piano so some folks fall into the trap of then trying to overplay to show their supposed "mad skills" but actually end up just swamping the mix and making it sound like they are an old bloke at Blackpool Tower.

That said, I think it's hard to find lessons or tutorials or what not on skills that are useful for a band context - largely keys lessons tend to be about physical technique rather than application. I can already play piano (did all the grades and diploma etc) but never did get into modern band playing because I could not work out what skills to learn, how to use the synth side of things in context, etc
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think with keys in a band context, the hardest skill is not about being a technically skilled pianist, but having a good ear and knowing when to be quiet.

Stuff that sounds impressive on a guitar is usually pretty easy to play on a piano so some folks fall into the trap of then trying to overplay to show their supposed "mad skills" but actually end up just swamping the mix and making it sound like they are an old bloke at Blackpool Tower.

That said, I think it's hard to find lessons or tutorials or what not on skills that are useful for a band context - largely keys lessons tend to be about physical technique rather than application. I can already play piano (did all the grades and diploma etc) but never did get into modern band playing because I could not work out what skills to learn, how to use the synth side of things in context, etc
    It may be because a lot of keys players have a bit more knowledge than a lot of guitarists and a lot will take that at home style into a band as well so they end up fighting the bassist.

I was thinking of bands like The Cult who often have a keyboard player on tour although the records are pretty much keyboard free so they can add pads and texture live. On the other hand if you want the keys player to do something minimal during The Immigrant Song maybe there needs to be something more keyboard oriented where the guitar plays a minimal part.

Having band members step out for the odd song can look awkward. Probably fine if you are Tom Jones and you have 12 band members and mix and match dependent upon the song as they are obviously his backing musicians but at a pub/club level it can be a bit weird; even giving someone a tambourine is a bit like putting a dunce's hat on them. The first band I joined had been a three piece and so doing two 45 minute sets in pubs for the first couple of gigs they did the first 45 as a three piece and the second with all four of us whilst we worked up the wider set in rehearsals.* Seemed to work at the time and was the alternative to me sitting down with a pint during random songs.

*I'm making this sound massively more professional than it was!

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited April 2021 tFB Trader
    A lot of keyboard players aren't used to playing in a band and will try and play every single part at the same time.

I've had so many conversations around "Don't play the bass line with your left hand" it's great that they can, but it totally clashes with the bass player. 

I've played in bands where it worked quite well and often getting them to stick to dirty organ, or clav on rock songs lets them cover guitar parts in a way that sounds natural. They can also add some vocal type sounds to pad out a chorus again the more retro Mellotron type sounds work there.

In something like Immigrant Song I'd probably get them to hold off on the verse F# riff and then add some Hammond to beef up the ascending part of the chorus and the A and E big chords in the verse maybe with some choppy tremolo. 

I've had loads of problems with brass players who don't like standing around (that's why it's important they can do BVs) and just noodle about if they haven't got anything to do. It just sounds like a mess.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Thanks for the replies. I am concerned about having honky tonk style keys on everything but I don’t think this guy is like that. Essentially we want someone to add some rock and roll style piano to stuff like Johnny B Goode, Saturday Night, play the piano on the Queen stuff etc and then the synth for the more modern stuff.

Apparently he does play a bit of guitar but I don’t think it’s his forte so I’m saying keys only right now and then we can see how it goes. 

I think some songs just don’t need keys, so having them doing backing vocals and tambourine etc may be viable but I’d like to think that going forward if we have keys, that we would be adding songs that involve all musicians. I don’t like the idea of asking members to sit out.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    In much the same way as I find guitar parts to play in songs that don't feature guitars. I tend to keep them sparse and simple.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Thanks for the replies. I am concerned about having honky tonk style keys on everything but I don’t think this guy is like that. Essentially we want someone to add some rock and roll style piano to stuff like Johnny B Goode, Saturday Night, play the piano on the Queen stuff etc and then the synth for the more modern stuff.

Apparently he does play a bit of guitar but I don’t think it’s his forte so I’m saying keys only right now and then we can see how it goes. 

I think some songs just don’t need keys, so having them doing backing vocals and tambourine etc may be viable but I’d like to think that going forward if we have keys, that we would be adding songs that involve all musicians. I don’t like the idea of asking members to sit out.

IMHO you will either have to convince Richard Clayderman that he's the utility guy on keys, bv's and percussion or change the set.

I don't know if your band has two guitarists or not. Mine does and I wouldn't add a keyboardist. I cover pads on a Mel 9 or synth 9 when needed. 

Each musician should have enough to do in a set. Sometimes they are the star sometimes not. I gave up playing bass in bands because you can only play root fifth for so long without having a melt down. 

I check with the others, well, before covid, and make sure they are happy. I've added easy songs to coast and a couple that are difficult or stretch our abilities.
    Btw I once saw a question on a bbs...

Q what should I do with my left hand when playing keys in a band?

A sit on it.
    edited April 2021
    slacker said:

IMHO you will either have to convince Richard Clayderman that he's the utility guy on keys, bv's and percussion or change the set.

I don't know if your band has two guitarists or not. Mine does and I wouldn't add a keyboardist. I cover pads on a Mel 9 or synth 9 when needed. 

Each musician should have enough to do in a set. Sometimes they are the star sometimes not. I gave up playing bass in bands because you can only play root fifth for so long without having a melt down. 

I check with the others, well, before covid, and make sure they are happy. I've added easy songs to coast and a couple that are difficult or stretch our abilities.
    I'm the only guitarist. I’ve tried numerous times to add a second guitarist to bands and they either had all the gear but weren’t good enough, hadn’t learned the songs or came with a headphone amp or something stupid. There’s a lot of guitarists out there but not many good or even average ones. And then you may find a decent one and it doesn’t click personality wise. 

I tend to try and limit the amount of things that can go wrong and make it work with as minimal people as possible. There has been talk about a second guitarist but I’ve decided against it every time. But we have been talking about adding keys as a compromise and it’s the drummers mate so he’s recommended him, and we’ll give him an audition.

In my mind the guy needs to be able to do synth and keys. So everything from adding rock and roll piano to classics like Johnny B Goode to pads and lead lines for more modern stuff. 

edited April 2021
    @TeleMaster I've  had similar problems in the past. Generally you get an acoustic player who jangles up the works or an egotist. The other guitarist in my band is awesome and I'm not just saying that because he's a member here.

In your situation keys would fill it out and an audition is wise. Most keyboardist I have played with over play, have no dialogue, use wrong sounds, refuse to play pads and over power the bass player in varying degrees. 

One of the 'best' players I have worked with started on a mono synth and could just about play chords. It fitted in with what the rest of us were doing.

edited April 2021
    So does this person really need to have a synth and a digital piano or a synth that has good piano sounds in it? I play some synth but I’m learning and I’m not 100% sure about the piano sounds in my one because well, I’m not too interested in that. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    So does this person really need to have a synth and a digital piano or a synth that has good piano sounds in it? I play some synth but I’m learning and I’m not 100% sure about the piano sounds in my one because well, I’m not too interested in that. 
    Workstation ideally
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Workstation ideally
    Ahh yes of course. Thanks. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4084
    Exactly , stabs, and  atmospheric pads etc