I Don’t like ******* but!

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
edited May 2021 in Music
When I was playing in a Country band I never really liked playing Country Clubs as they were either run by die hard Jim Reeves fans  or they were younger and had no idea what country music was. 
Now playing rock or regular pub venues was much better as they didn’t have that mind set.
however the most common phrase we heard was “I don’t like Country, but”. they would then go on to say how much they enjoyed the gig.
Now I would never think to say to a rock band , “I don’t like rock music but I like your band”.
But it’s quite a common thing to say to Country bands as it seems to me they don’t want to admit they have an open mind and like some Country but not others. I like Pop music, not all of it but I think some is great, same with Blues, Soul, Jazz even some Classical. There still seems to be a stigma about Country Music. Why is that? 
It’s as broad as any genre, I know there’s stuff that I hate which is mainly what they play on Country mainstream radio, but looking at bands like Reckless Kelly, Micky and the Motorcars, Cody Canada, William Clark Green, The Steel Wheels etc, it’s probably better now than it ever has been.
so many great festivals and the one I would love to go to is Mile O Fest in Key West Florida. 
Where the cream of Texas and Oklahoma bands are playing. And what’s great about that festival is a lot of the bands will do different sets and invite other members from other bands to play so you see great combinations of musicians, some times two lead singers from different bands will get a small PA and put on a show next to a swimming pool. It’s brilliant. If you get a chance just google some of the social media being played from there. 
Age range is teenagers to pensioners all enjoying great original bands. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Americana is it's more socially acceptable brother:
    Hiss Golden Messenger, Ryan Adams, Sarah Jarosz, Calexico, Justin Townes Earle, Jason Isbell, Sara Watkins etc etc

When I hear "Country" I think of the US categorisation: either old time 60's & 50's stuff or modern bland pop like Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Reba Mcintyre etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Country and Western...

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Americana is it's more socially acceptable brother:
    Hiss Golden Messenger, Ryan Adams, Sarah Jarosz, Calexico, Justin Townes Earle, Jason Isbell, Sara Watkins etc etc

When I hear "Country" I think of the US categorisation: either old time 60's & 50's stuff or modern bland pop like Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Reba Mcintyre etc
    Americana, is a term thrown at country artists who are too country. Then all sorts of roots and folk artists get lumped into it. So much more energy in REAL country music now and their songwriting is also not relying on a panel of producers and hangers on making sure every cliche is stuck in song. Modern mainstream country is a mixture of 80s AOR, Hip Hop and Soul. Absolutely nothing to do with country music that most would identify as Country. 
    Tyler Childers won an Americana award and said thanks, but I don’t know what Americana is, he plays Country. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    It think it's mainly a hangover from when people derided the good ol' boy, cowboy hat, pickup truck and whisky clichés of some Country. It was seen as incredibly naff to some. Of course Country has always been more complex than that.

I'm a Willie Nelson,  John Prine, Iris DeMent and Jesse Winchester fan.( Country, Americana, Folk?) I don't care what you call it, just great songwriting.

And of course everybody loves Dolly.  :)
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    There still seems to be a stigma about Country Music. Why is that? 

Rhinestones.
    Rhinestones, yeah that must be it. 

• TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Country tends to be typecast (by those who don't know how incredibly diverse it is) by those awful wailing dirges that constitute a particular sub-genre of it, or else by those FM radio blanded-out bands of the 70s and 80s. Similarly, some (not many) people still typecast the whole of rock after hearing 30 seconds of Black Sabbath circa 1972, and a great many people typecast 500 years worth of classical music as a Wagner opera. 

It is a grave mistake to typecast any genre of music. All forms have a good deal to recommend them. 

(Except rap, of course.)

Agreed I love old Deep Purple, but was never a fan of Black Sabbath. Loads of great music in every genre, plus plenty that’s great that you won’t like.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    There are two kinds of music:
    (1) Music you like;
    (2) Music you don’t like.

I listen to a lot of country music but I don’t like all of it by any means. My tastes range from ancient (Ernest Tubb) to modern (Chris Stapleton) so it’s not a matter of ‘I just like the older stuff’, simply personal preference.

I also enjoy music from many other genres.

If someone claims not to like country music, get them to name 3 country songs that they dislike. Many people can’t because they have just picked up the idea that country is somehow uncool to like.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Missus Munckee is a country fan from dolly to Sam hunt and everything in between. We’ve been to country to country a few times and seen some amazing live acts. When I get home and download their songs all the live magic has been processed to death. We saw little big town who were awesome live and are hard to like on record. 

I really like Maddie and tae and David nail. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I was really excited when people started talking up the whole alt-country and Americana scene in the 1990s. But when I actually listened to any of the music I was always like 'WTF has this got to do with country?' Mostly it was terrible indie bands who'd decided to hire in a pedal steel player.

You don't have to listen to all that much 'real' country music from the 50s-70s to realise that it's a genre with quite distinctive musical conventions, but apparently none of these people had bothered to do that, or maybe they didn't see it as important, I don't know.