Cover challenge 13 voting thread.

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited May 2021 in Making Music
This is the vote for the 12th fretboard cover challenge. All the entries can be found in the following playlist

”love is the drug” roxy music 
or
anything else by roxy music

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-13

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

however @bezzer and @stratman3142 each have a bonus 5pts for picking the original song choice by the previous winner

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Friday 7th May

Just to add, there are high level talks taking place as to how we proceed with this challenge moving forward... the next challenge may well be different.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I’ll kick off.

5pts @stratman3142 - deffo had that floyd vibe

3pts @bezzer - love it... 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    Well my voting is made a lot easier since I CAN only vote for one technically ha ha

So, um, 5 points for @stratman3142 ;

if allowed ... 3 points for @poopot too cos it’s a great instrumental track until my last minute warble fucked it. 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Well done to everyone who managed to put anything to disk on this one, I tried to get enthusiastic about anything from Roxy Music but everything I heard was the audio equivalent of brussel sprouts; it made me gag until it was removed. Anyway, my votes go to:

5 points for @stratman3142 - Nailed the Floyd vibe whilst maintaining the the melody of song (which is quite good when Bryan Ferry isn't singing it)
    3 points for @poopot ft. Bezzer - Very accomplished musically, also a very tenuous link to Roxy Music, really like this version of Jealous Guy but then I am a fan of Black Crowes. @Bezzer I was very impressed with the vocals, couple of tweaks needed here and there but you have a great vocal tone!

1 point @Bezzer - Nice work production wise, guitars and drums sounded right for that style but I wasn't grabbed by the vocals, do more classic rock!

Well done again guys, very tough and a shame that the winner did not enter, can one of you tag him in the OP so he votes on the entries? 
    IMC1980 said:

Well done again guys, very tough and a shame that the winner did not enter, can one of you tag him in the OP so he votes on the entries? 
    Calling @AlbertC ;
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    5 points : BezPot @poopot ft. Bezzer : An authentic country rock sound with a hint of the Stones as well. Nicely arranged

3 points : @Bezzer : For an insane version of the original. Very clever and creative recording approach.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    edited May 2021
    I don't know anything by Roxy Music so going in blind. 

5 points @Bezzer - seriously, what on earth was that?!  That was slightly unexpected coming out of the speakers!! I'm guessing that's not how the original sounded!! Really well done and great fun, sort of Meshuggah meets Korn with some shred in the background. Great stuff!! (edit: it did actually make me laugh when it started!!)

3 points @stratman3142 - lovely arrangement and great tasteful playing and yes, very Floydy. 

1 point @poopot - also very well done as per the other two, they just floated my boat a bit more. Great arrangement and really good vocals. 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    @Vibetronic ha ha, thank you man! Yeah, it’s a slight departure from the original. Glad you spotted the references ... and it made me laugh too, so job done :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    The version by @Bezzer is so extreme it merits the new musical term "doing a Bezzer" :) Which I may well use in future.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    5pts: @poopot Reminded me of the Quireboys
    3pts: @stratman3142 Very Gilmourish as intended, and a good interpretation
    1pts: @Bezzer Made me think of Lamb of God. I hope your throat has recovered since. =)
    Voting closed...