New amp incoming - can you guess? Now with pics on page 2

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    Fitted with a celestion g12h-100 which is an awesome speaker. Nowadays you can get the g12k-100 I think, which is a direct replacement.
    That's a very good speaker. The K100 isn't the same, it doesn't have the vented magnet and it's not as growly in the low mids.

I had one of those and the Master Lead 75 at the same time - I swapped the speakers so the Sidewinder (150W rated) was in the 100 and the G12H in the 75 - even better than the other way round. The Sidewinder is 101dB so you can imagine how loud the result was... :)

The only thing I don't like about the Mosfet 100 is that the later versions (which I think all the combos are) don't allow you to access the EQ on the clean channel from the overdrive channel, so you're limited to the single 'tone' knob.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23939
    I got here late. 

But I was going to say if it's not a JCM800 then you have made a poor choice! :D :D 

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I got here late. 

But I was going to say if it's not a JCM800 then you have made a poor choice! :D :D 

I mean, it's basically a jcm800 :D just without valves.

ICBM said:
    Fitted with a celestion g12h-100 which is an awesome speaker. Nowadays you can get the g12k-100 I think, which is a direct replacement.
    That's a very good speaker. The K100 isn't the same, it doesn't have the vented magnet and it's not as growly in the low mids.

I had one of those and the Master Lead 75 at the same time - I swapped the speakers so the Sidewinder (150W rated) was in the 100 and the G12H in the 75 - even better than the other way round. The Sidewinder is 101dB so you can imagine how loud the result was... :)

The only thing I don't like about the Mosfet 100 is that the later versions (which I think all the combos are) don't allow you to access the EQ on the clean channel from the overdrive channel, so you're limited to the single 'tone' knob.

Yes, that's the one! I don't think I'll be using the clean channel much, the last one I tried I just cleaned up with picking dynamics on the boost channel - it really did have the feel of a single channel amp.

I will try the clean channel but tbh it's not what I bought it for ;)

Interesting about the speaker! It is tremendous, I heard a 4x12 with them in being powered by a jcm800 at download and it was pure Marshall roar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Yup, that's the one! In good nick mostly. Let's hope it arrives safely...

To be honest, the cost was pretty much a ply cab and half a decent speaker. The amp is basically free at that price! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    C'mon @ThePrettyDamned just tell us, then we can discuss it.... 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited May 2021
    merlin said:
    C'mon @ThePrettyDamned just tell us, then we can discuss it.... 
    @merlin you must have missed it...

Marshall 5100 mosfet.

Edit: really cool that there are so many affordable solid state amps from the past fitted with good speakers and a ply cab, though! 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    MOSFET 100?

We have our winner!

It's the 1x12 combo with reverb that came a bit later - the Marshall 5100 mosfet reverb. As I understand it, it's the combo version of the head. 

I played one in a store yonks ago but said "meh, solid state". Then I played the head version in a cash converters and said "meh, too pricey at a whopping £150".
    Nice - I had a 5150 combo (2x12) as a teenager in the late 80s.Sounded great!
  • newi123 said:
    MOSFET 100?

We have our winner!

It's the 1x12 combo with reverb that came a bit later - the Marshall 5100 mosfet reverb. As I understand it, it's the combo version of the head. 

I played one in a store yonks ago but said "meh, solid state". Then I played the head version in a cash converters and said "meh, too pricey at a whopping £150".
    Nice - I had a 5150 combo (2x12) as a teenager in the late 80s.Sounded great!

I love that there is a 2x12 version.

It implies the 1x12 is quiet :D gotta admire that! 
    ThePrettyDamned said:

The 5150 is 150W as well! And has three channels, although the third one is an 'aux input' channel rather than switchable.

I measured both my Mosfet 100 with the Sidewinder and my Peavey Special - 130W with a Black Widow - with a dB meter app on my phone. I had to put it the other side of two closed doors to get a reading that wasn't off the scale :).

I can't remember what the actual figures were, but somewhere in the 130s once I'd calibrated it with a quieter sound.

The Peavey won by 1dB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

The 5150 is 150W as well! And has three channels, although the third one is an 'aux input' channel rather than switchable.

I measured both my Mosfet 100 with the Sidewinder and my Peavey Special - 130W with a Black Widow - with a dB meter app on my phone. I had to put it the other side of two closed doors to get a reading that wasn't off the scale :).

I can't remember what the actual figures were, but somewhere in the 130s once I'd calibrated it with a quieter sound.

The Peavey won by 1dB.

Oof. Ear splitting.

Those peavey amps are mad. I think the transtubes are still probably among the best clean solid state amps going, and if you want something like a jc120 there is the peavey chorus special 2x12... Insane amps.

I basically missed my transtube bandit. It was just right. But I also fancied something better looking for the living room :) hence the Marshall. They do look very good. 

Odd things I've noticed:
    - initially, I was looking for the lead 12. These have appreciated a lot!
    - a lot of lead 12s look knackered. 
    - the mosfet 100 head is worth much more than the combo versions! Appreciate they have the clean channel advantage, but that's not really why people buy these...
    - the combos are basically cost of cab. The amp is free. 
    - all versions are stock with really, really good speakers. A far cry from modern amps... 

There is another 5100 on ebay with a faulty reverb tank for £90. I was in process of negotiating but the seller went silent - I assume haggling with someone else. That one has a new speaker - a classic lead 80. Not sure it would be my first pick due to tighter bass, but still a good speaker and cab for very little money! The amp is free backup :) 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Frightfully close.

Imagine a lead 12 with more loud. 
    Master Lead 75 with Celestion Sidewinder
    Most of my cabs have Celestion Sidewinders - loud buggers!
    They are kind of like an EV with a celestion top end  - not very scooped in the mids unlike so many celestions 
    Kind of good for showing off midrange detail in your sound

I had one of those Master Lead 75s for a while - bit like a transistor version of a 2205/2210 and with a Sidewinder to boot
    Surprisingly good value for what you can pick them up for 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

- the mosfet 100 head is worth much more than the combo versions! Appreciate they have the clean channel advantage, but that's not really why people buy these...
    It's not the clean channel that's why the earlier head versions are better - it's because you can run the boost channel through the clean channel EQ, which gives a lot more control. Without that you only have a single tone control for the boost channel - technically, it's actually the treble control in a tone stack with fixed bass and mids (I can't remember the values). Unfortunately the circuit layouts are completely different and it isn't really possible to convert them.

The surprising thing is that actually the clean channel is better on the later ones as well - I had both because I had the mad idea of a dual-Marshall switching rig with the 75 for lead and the 100 for clean :). But in the end the Peavey was even better for clean.

There's also a Crate 160W 1x12" with an EV in the shop at the moment - I haven't measured the volume it can put out but I'm sure it's utterly bonkers! It's also tiny, barely any bigger than the shipping box for an EV... it may be a candidate for the highest 'volume density' of any amp :D.

• ICBM said:
    It's not the clean channel that's why the earlier head versions are better - it's because you can run the boost channel through the clean channel EQ, which gives a lot more control. Without that you only have a single tone control for the boost channel - technically, it's actually the treble control in a tone stack with fixed bass and mids (I can't remember the values). Unfortunately the circuit layouts are completely different and it isn't really possible to convert them.

The surprising thing is that actually the clean channel is better on the later ones as well - I had both because I had the mad idea of a dual-Marshall switching rig with the 75 for lead and the 100 for clean :). But in the end the Peavey was even better for clean.

There's also a Crate 160W 1x12" with an EV in the shop at the moment - I haven't measured the volume it can put out but I'm sure it's utterly bonkers! It's also tiny, barely any bigger than the shipping box for an EV... it may be a candidate for the highest 'volume density' of any amp :D.

Interesting! Mine will just be set up for a simple crunchy rhythm sound so it'll be interesting to see how good it can sound (or not!). I think it'll be fine though.

It has a loop for eq if there is a tone emergency :) 
    I've checked the schematic, and effectively the bass is on 10 and the mid on 4.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    I've checked the schematic, and effectively the bass is on 10 and the mid on 4.

Ha! That's not far off how I'd set it anyway. Bass on 10 = jcm standard. Mids should be fine also. Thanks for checking @icbm that's actually reassuring. 
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Ha! That's not far off how I'd set it anyway. Bass on 10 = jcm standard. Mids should be fine also.
    Yes, me too - bass 10, mid 4 is where I'd set it if using it for clean-up from the guitar and adding a pedal like an SD-1 for lead. If I was using the amp alone for the dirt I'd have the mid on 6 or higher.

• ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Ha! That's not far off how I'd set it anyway. Bass on 10 = jcm standard. Mids should be fine also.
    Yes, me too - bass 10, mid 4 is where I'd set it if using it for clean-up from the guitar and adding a pedal like an SD-1 for lead. If I was using the amp alone for the dirt I'd have the mid on 6 or higher.

Yeah, I'll be using my trusty df-2 or sd-1 probably, I like a more responsive sound from the amp. 
  • It arrived!

Sadly, the speaker baffle has come away from the front panel - presumably from inertia from the MASSIVE speaker magnet.

Plugged in, sounds absolutely great at whisper quiet volume. I don't yet have a 2 button footswitch but did manage to change to drive channel and it's absolutely brilliant - Marshall, why are you not making them like this anymore?!

The reverb doesn't seem to engage but turning it up does add background hiss so I'm predicting a loose connection somewhere from shipping. Will work on it over the weekend - I presume any old 2 button TRS footswitch will do? Was going to grab the cheapest I can find, either a second hand laney or vox one, or a used Marshall 2 button from Andertons - but none say boost/reverb. @ICBM any thoughts?

Channel change can be made by plugging in a regular cable to the footswitch so that's a normal one in any case :) 
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    Carlton?
    I remember seeing a Carlton Camel at A1 in Manchester many moons ago.  I really wanted it, nearly bought one in my adulthood.