Songs/tracks with utterly cringe moments?

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    HAL9000 said:
    The guitar solo on Easy Like Sunday Morning sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it.
    And the rest of the song doesn't?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Also, the ‘We haven’t got a clue what to do’ bit in The Sweet’s Blockbuster - sounds as camp as a row of tents (but like the Meatloaf spoken bit I guess that’s the point).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Haych said:
    The yodelling in Hocus Pocus, it's really rather a good song up to that point.
    No, without the yodelling, that song is just another Prog record. The yodelling makes it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Brad Paisley’s I’m Still a Guy. I understand that the song is tongue in cheek ( well, let’s hope it is) but it ends...

My eyebrows ain't plucked
    There's a gun in my truck
    Oh thank God I'm still a guy

...and you have a bit of a double take. I saw him on TV doing some live thing in the U.K. which included that song and an acknowledgment that a lot of British listeners have a bit of an issue with it. 
    I get what you mean about Brad Paisley - I can take him in small doses but some of his lyrics are very much in the ‘I got up this morning / Then I ate breakfast / It was coffee and eggs / Then I made my way to the shops’ mould.
    HAL9000 said:
    The guitar solo on Easy Like Sunday Morning sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it.
    And the rest of the song doesn't?
    Not quite as much as that sorry excuse for a guitar solo.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    Dan_1 said:
    From Piece of Mind, which is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album, To Tame A Land is easily their worst track ever in my opinion. It’s so bad it’s cringeworthy. 

it's not good, is it?  My personal lowlight on that album is Quest For Fire. Truly terrible lyrics. I love the rest of the album though!

Not to mention sun and steel or the lyrics in still life.

When they make a good tune it's damn good but when they make a bad one it's almost comical. 
    Since we're talking Maiden, I've always hated Back in the Village on Powerslave.  Bruce's vocals on the chorus are just painful.  

Yep the duelists and flash of the blade aren't great either tbh. Compared to the other songs anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    dindude said:
    I like John Mayer but when his lyrics go all creepy it’s the cringiest thing, like the second verse to Still Feel Like Your Man when he’s banging on about shampoo bottles left in his shower, just no! 
    The Bold As Love cover he does on 
    Where The Light Is is even worse. All that rambling spoken nonsense, bleurgh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 77
    edited May 2021
    The Kill kill kill kill part in one of the st anger tracks....Sweet Amber I think it is. actually pretty much that entire album.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    Philly_Q said:
    Dan_1 said:
    From Piece of Mind, which is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album, To Tame A Land is easily their worst track ever in my opinion. It’s so bad it’s cringeworthy. 

it's not good, is it?  My personal lowlight on that album is Quest For Fire. Truly terrible lyrics. I love the rest of the album though!

When they make a good tune it's damn good but when they make a bad one it's almost comical. 
    Since we're talking Maiden, I've always hated Back in the Village on Powerslave.  Bruce's vocals on the chorus are just painful.  

Yep the duelists and flash of the blade aren't great either tbh. Compared to the other songs anyway. 
    Nooo! Powerslave is their finest moment!
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Dan_1 said:

Omg I LOVE that song - the eerie beginning and that FANTASTIC build up to the climax with those pedal points in the bass. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268

C.W. McCall - Convoy, 1978. It's actually pretty good except for the cringe moment, which starts at the beginning of the third bar and goes through to 4:02.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:

C.W. McCall - Convoy, 1978. It's actually pretty good except for the cringe moment, which starts at the beginning of the third bar and goes through to 4:02.
    Err…, what’s your load Plastic Chicken?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Cat's rap in Alphabet Street, except in retrospect it tips into "so bad it's good". 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
    HAL9000 said:
    Brad Paisley’s I’m Still a Guy. I understand that the song is tongue in cheek ( well, let’s hope it is) but it ends...

My eyebrows ain't plucked
    There's a gun in my truck
    Oh thank God I'm still a guy

...and you have a bit of a double take. I saw him on TV doing some live thing in the U.K. which included that song and an acknowledgment that a lot of British listeners have a bit of an issue with it. 
    I get what you mean about Brad Paisley - I can take him in small doses but some of his lyrics are very much in the ‘I got up this morning / Then I ate breakfast / It was coffee and eggs / Then I made my way to the shops’ mould.
    I think that's part and parcel of the genre though, fairly simplistic (song and lyric wise, guitar playing is exceptional).

He does play on the comedic side of music too, see Ticks/Online. I'm still a guy doesn't push that side all the way though which makes it a bit awkward.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    Weaver85 said:
    The Kill kill kill kill part in one of the st anger tracks....Sweet Amber I think it is. actually pretty much that entire album.
    That's the last track, All Within My Hands. I really hate that too, it just sounds like they've run out of ideas. There are a couple of tracks on that album I like, but it's not great is it?

To answer the OP though, I could definitely live without the "No Mommy" bit in Down With the Sickness
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Philly_Q said:
    Dan_1 said:

can't believe I didn't mention Gangland off NOTB. Easily my least favourite Maiden song. Used to have endless conversations with my mate at school about how shit this song is. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Gangland rules, as do all the maiden songs mentioned. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Gangland's fine, IMO.  But sticking with NOTB, if we're talking cringe-worthy bits in otherwise great songs:

Invaders... pillaging
    Invaders... looting
    etc.

(And the spoken bit in the OP is just fine.)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842
    I think the outro to Layla would be almost listenable if they had bothered to check the guitars were in tune with the damn piano.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I think the outro to Layla would be almost listenable if they had bothered to check the guitars were in tune with the damn piano.
    I think the general idea is that if you've got all the way to the end of the track you must be stoned and the instruments will sound perfectly in tune. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom