SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Nearly mint 1957 Les Paul Junior - try finding another!

What's Hot
MikeCMikeC Frets: 447
edited June 2021 in Guitars £
After much soul searching, I have decided to list my 57 junior here. Probably the cleanest one out there. I'm sure I'll regret this.

I acquired it about a year ago, but have decided I'm not a single pickup person, it's really too mint to gig with, plus it cost me a lot of dosh and I need to recoup some as the restoration of a 1956 bassman is going over budget....(remind me to never buy a vintage amp on a whim, and to never trust NoTom guitars in that respect). 

So here goes. I've lots of photos, but the best thing would be to see it in the flesh - I live in East Finchley in North London.  

Bad bits first: it's had a pickup rewind (to vintage specs). That includes (hard to spot) evidence of a resolder of the end wire where it meets the pots. Oh, and the 7th fret dot marker looks like it is newer than the rest. 

Good bits - everything else. I've cut and paste the report I got from 'Stairway to Kevin' of Denmark St who looked it over, fettled it, and took lots of photos I can provide. 

I've not seen a cleaner one (case included). David Pym has a similar one (but I think this is cleaner) on at £8,995 at the moment. ATB has good clean ones on at the moment for over £8k but they seem to sell out very quickly. Kevin valued it at £8,500. The last but one owner bought it for an eye-watering £12,500 from the now defunct vintage and rare Denmark St (see receipt in last photo). 

Priced at £7500, now £7,250.

Might consider a PX for a Huber Krauster ii (2 pick up version) with bigsby if it weighs under 8 lb (bad back) - or something similar. 

https://imgur.com/l7W98R7.jpg
https://imgur.com/rSdSP7M. jpg
https://imgur.com/mDEOZvl.jpg
https://imgur.com/SzLKCGY.jpg
https://imgur.com/vU8Xo0Y.jpg
https://imgur.com/Z6FyDCX.jpg

Lots more photos available or can be taken, but best to see it in the flesh. 

Kevin wrote:

"Instrument Serial Number Gibson Les Paul Junior (1957) 7 4177: 

Description: This 1957 Gibson Les Paul Junior is almost the cleanest example I have seen in nearly 25 years. It is nearly entirely original and includes the original case, both of which are in excellent condition. The finish of the guitar is clean and has nearly no colour fading, and almost no checking, indicating that it was stored in a stable environment for all its life. The neck is straight and true, with the original frets present and has the classic '1957' medium chunky back profile. Tuning machines are original and work perfectly and the guitar has just been setup with a fresh set of 10-46 strings. The only marks worth noting are on the rear bottom bout of the guitar where there are three small dings into the finish and on the back of the guitar where there are two very old light surface scratches that have been filled 20+ years ago. These are just above the control cavity cover. I am unwilling to remove the potentiometers as they have never been removed so I cannot get a source date from them. They are the original pots. The pickup reads 7.6Kohm and has been re-wound previously along with the 7th fret dot marker having been replaced at an earlier time. Such an example, nearly all original and in extremely fine condition I would rate at a value of £8,500.00.

Signed by Kevin Bourque 19/09/2020"
0reaction image LOL 32reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wowsers!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    edited May 2021
    Murphy Labs could age that for you, make it look used 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 447
    And charge me £5k for the work! 
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    OMFG! That’s stunning

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    Absolutely stunning.

What was the issue with NoTom guitars?
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
     :o 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 806
    This made me laugh yesterday.

I really want that. Or one of them anyway. GLWS

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    Re No Toms, I bought a 1956 bassman amp from them. A complete wreck! They did offer to refund at the start, but I didn’t realise the mess it was in so just agreed £500 back to get it sorted. But every step has been a mammoth task of what someone else bodged as my amp tech dug further into things. It really wasn't fit for sale in the first place.  Their description was shall I politely say somewhat  inaccurate. Clearly they hadn’t done their homework here. 

My fault for not taking the refund when offered, I just didn’t realize how much was wrong and by the time I did it was too late in terms of time and what had been done to it post sale as things slowly unfolded. Now the restoration is 90% done, despite the challenge of finding parts post Brexit / in a pandemic.

So I can’t really blame No Toms. They did treat me well in terms of offering a refund or offering their tech to fix it, or some cash back. So I’ve only myself to blame for being optimistic about the state of it. Maybe I expected them to have at least looked at it in a little detail before offering it to ignorant punters like me. Although I have owned a 50’s deluxe before. I do think vintage guitar shops have a duty not to bullshit when they clearly don't know their stuff / haven't checked properly. Caveat emptor blah blah.

But it will be bloody awesome once restored to its former glory! 

The covering isn’t original (as they claimed, despite me asking twice as it was just too new) but I’m thinking of relicing it. Anyone know someone in London that can do this? I might ask joe Dobson aka Joseph Kaye guitars as I know he's done stuff like this before. 
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    Joe's the man for the job
    Yocky, very funny! 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Bloody hell 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    I can say this is a stunning Junior, I had the chance to play it last year.

and Mike is a top guy to deal with :+1: 
    Ta, as were you! 
    Gentle bump for a lovely vintage guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A few nice offers, but still here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    and will also consider p/x or swap for a 2 or 3 pickup vintage firebird from the 60's
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Have a bump whilst I drool again over these pictures.......

Gentle bump

Might accept other PX's as well as a 2 pickup Huber or 2/3 pickup 60's firebird, eg 2 pickup Macon junior
    Gentle bump
    Bump