Is rehearsal now legal?

What's Hot
firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
I ask this from the point of view of a pub band not a professional outfit as I understand the rules are different for those .....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think if you are a band with proper paid gigs booked in, as opposed to just a bunch of mates having a jam sesh, then that counts as using the service for 'work purposes' so it's technically allowed. 

At least I hope it is, as I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    No, not until 17th of May.

Pro bands and choirs can rehearse now. 
  • I think if you are a band with proper paid gigs booked in, as opposed to just a bunch of mates having a jam sesh, then that counts as using the service for 'work purposes' so it's technically allowed. 

When I say pub band I mean one which gets paid for pub and club gigs. Sure this rule applies to us?
  • We used an outdoor space under latest ‘rule of six’ recently but we have a few paying gigs booked again now to argue a case for now but we have indoor rehearsals booked toward end of May.

• ColsCols Frets: 6988
    Our local rehearsal studios are all open again, and from what I can fathom indoor rehearsals are permitted for “the purposes of work”.  If you have paid gigs arranged, that would theoretically qualify as work.

No idea how carefully - or at all - that would be policed, either by the studios or by the local constabulary.  I suspect the studios will, at most, be asking on booking “Now, you are a professional band, AREN’T YOU NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK?”

Or you could practice outside, until the neighbours start throwing things over the fence.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3651

It's a grey area according to one of my bandmates who's a lawyer (probably down to how you define ‘professional’).  Some rehearsal rooms are open, others seem to be waiting until after 17th May.

If you are operating under the ‘pro bands’ exemption then you should follow all the workplace protocols which include regular testing.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    We are back rehearsing every 2 weeks, got a string of theatre gigs booked from August onwards and well rusty at the moment. 
    The way it was explained to me ... if you have paid work that would involve cancellation and loss of earnings should you not be able to rehearse then you can rehearse ..... doesn't matter if it's a pub, club, theatre or stadium gig 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3663
    edited April 2021
    The point about workplace covid secure procedures is good.  You can get free test kits from pharmacies now to help.

We were all vaccinated at least once before we even considered meeting up to play outdoors under rule of 6.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited April 2021
    I think if you are a band with proper paid gigs booked in, as opposed to just a bunch of mates having a jam sesh, then that counts as using the service for 'work purposes' so it's technically allowed. 

Only if your main source of income is the band.  If not then its classed as recreational not business.  Foesnt matter that you earn from it or if you'd incur cancellation fees (because you shouldn't accept a booking if your not ready is the reason it doesn't apply).  To be classed as professional in this case (from government perspective) is it being ypur main source of income.

This has been clarified by the government to relevant union, and I am aware of band that has been fined for an indoor rehearsal despite trying to use the "it's for a paid gig" justification.
  • Outdoors is fine.  We've done one in a garage with all the doors open so theres a through draft.

We did do one in a club, but we set up the sound system for them prior to re opening and used that for a rehearsal...to test the install.

When I say pub band I mean one which gets paid for pub and club gigs. Sure this rule applies to us?
    Nope
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    We’ve been in for the last few weeks. We got the ‘big room’ last week because McFly have finished with it for now! :) 
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    Next question..when can we gig inside? After May 17th?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24199
    I thought that was in June when mass events are allowed again?
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    The Gov Pathway indicates that live performances are permitted inside with 50% capacity...
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    The Gov Pathway indicates that live performances are permitted inside with 50% capacity...
    That’s us fucked then ..we can only get 10% :s
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Its live music venues rather than pubs from may 27th, and its a bit misleading in terns of numbers. Its UPTO 50%, but social distancing must be maintained. 

We have our first back early june, and is still 35 people max in a 200 people venue & still at tables. So same as last time we were allowed to play just before Christmas. 

Proper relaxation is June 21st earliest. Fingers crossed!
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    I never rehearsed before the pandemic ;-)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    So we had our rehearsal today ready for the gig on the 22nd.
    It was great to feel some air move and wonderful to be with old chums. But by heck I'm out of condition - I had chronic left hand cramp after 3 hours and felt knackered after the 4.5 hour session. I also need to harden up my calluses as my fingers are sore and my throat took a beating.
    So get yourselves into shape folks, as a veteran of decades of gigging I was not ready.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Is rehearsal now legal?!  If certain members of the band I'm in are to go by, practice* has been outlawed, let alone rehearsal.

*Practice - that thing one is supposed to do before turning up to rehearsal.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom