Songs/tracks with utterly cringe moments?

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just read every post here hoping that nobody had already mentioned this particular one.... and to my joy, they haven't.

Ram Jam's 'Black Betty'.  Fabulous song utterly destroyed by the stupid Benny Hill extension to the guitar solo.

I give you 02:00 in....

I will ruin it further for you...

You will sing that everytime you hear it now ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    poopot said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just read every post here hoping that nobody had already mentioned this particular one.... and to my joy, they haven't.

Ram Jam's 'Black Betty'.  Fabulous song utterly destroyed by the stupid Benny Hill extension to the guitar solo.

I give you 02:00 in....

I will ruin it further for you...

You will sing that everytime you hear it now ;)

He Heeee... Panda lamp, love it.

Talking of misheard lyrics there's one that never seems to come up among the usual suspects (Blue Seal in the Sky with Diamonds, Let's Pee in the Corner, etc etc) and I can't get it out of my head.  It's the Three Degrees "My Simple Heart" - when I heard it for the first time I thought why on earth are they singing about a bicycle pump..?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    Black Betty has a long and complicated history and seems to have started as a 19th century folk song about a musket. The Leadbelly version gave it new prominence and then the Ram Jam version which reintroduced the authentic 19th century extended guitar solos. There were attempts to get the record banned in the UK, I think it would be seen as racist, although it was still a hit twice. You probably have to know that the song is a metaphor rather than thinking it is a patronizing song about a black woman.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neill said:

Talking of misheard lyrics there's one that never seems to come up among the usual suspects (Blue Seal in the Sky with Diamonds, Let's Pee in the Corner, etc etc) and I can't get it out of my head.  It's the Three Degrees "My Simple Heart" - when I heard it for the first time I thought why on earth are they singing about a bicycle pump..?

A long time ago Mark Radcliffe ruined (not that I actually ever chose to listen to it, it was just ubiquitous at the time) You Got The Love by The Source when he casually pointed out that it really did sound as if Candi Staton was singing "Sometimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air".
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2021
    What's that one off use your illusions with the kind of EDM beat? I forgot about it because when I put the albums onto cassette I missed it out.

Edit ; "my world". 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the awful 'Big boys don't cry' nonsense in 10cc's I'm Not in Love.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Hattigol said:
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the awful 'Big boys don't cry' nonsense in 10cc's I'm Not in Love.
    Because, until now, we had all erased it from our memories...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:

Oddly enough I was thinking about Dreadlock Holiday which is a song I always really liked but these days I have a bit of a double take at the lyrics. Open to interpretation maybe but not something that would get released these days perhaps. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Hattigol said:

Oddly enough I was thinking about Dreadlock Holiday which is a song I always really liked but these days I have a bit of a double take at the lyrics. Open to interpretation maybe but not something that would get released these days perhaps. 

Is it bad? All I remember is he gets mugged then shags a bird. Loved that song as a kid. 
    axisus said:
    Hattigol said:

Is it bad? All I remember is he gets mugged then shags a bird. Loved that song as a kid. 
    I don't know although as I typed Dreadlock Holiday into Google it tried to complete it as Dreadlock Holiday is it racist  so I don't think I'm the first person to wonder. I'm not sure anyone gets shagged.

I was walkin' down the street
    Concentratin' on truckin' right
    I heard a dark voice beside of me
    And I looked round in a state of fright
    I saw four faces, one mad
    A brother from the gutter
    They looked me up and down a bit
    And turned to each other
    I say
    I don't like cricket (Oh no!)
    I love it
    I don't like cricket (No no!)
    I love it
    Don't you walk through my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet
    Well he looked down at my silver chain
    He said "I'll give you one dollar"
    I said you've got to be jokin' man
    It was a present from me mother
    He said "I like it, I want it
    I'll take it off your hands
    And you'll be sorry you crossed me
    You'd better understand that you're alone
    A long way from home
    And I say
    I don't like reggae (No no!)
    I love it (Eh!)
    I don't like reggae (No!)
    I love it (Eh!)
    Don't you cramp me style
    Don't you queer me pitch
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet
    I hurried back to the swimming pool
    Sinkin' pina colada
    I heard a dark voice beside me say
    "Would you like something harder?"
    She said, "I've got it, you want it
    My harvest is the best
    And if you try it, you'll like it
    And wallow in a Dreadlock Holiday"
    And I say
    Don't like Jamaica (Oh no!)
    I love her (Eh!)
    Don't like Jamaica (Oh no!)
    I love her (Oh yeah!)
    Don't you walk through her words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk through her words
    'Cause you ain't heard her out yet
    I don't like cricket (Oh no!)
    I love it (Dreadlock Holiday)
    I don't like reggae (Oh no!)
    I love it (Dreadlock Holiday)
    Don't like Jamaica (Eh!)
    I love her (Dreadlock Holiday)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Dreadlock Holiday is the only 10cc song I actually like... I don't think it's racist, although it could possibly be construed as stereotyping.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I think Dreadlock Holiday is problematic, some people nowadays could take offence at the lyrics, a lot more people could take offence at Graham Gouldman (I think it's him) singing in a cod Jamaican accent.

But there was no ill-intent at the time.  It is a very good song. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    If people will take offence at Dreadlock Holiday they might spontaneously combust over Typically Tropical's Barbados. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1509
    Living Next Door to Alice.
    Who the fuck is Alice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

The instrumental break in My Sharona.
    What?  It's good we're all different I suppose.

Wasn't Dreadlock Holiday about an actual mugging incident he had? Bit unfair to be labeled a racist because he wrote a song about it.

To go back to Meatloaf there is a song in which he sings 'sex and drums and rock and roll'. Bit rich coming froming Mr Loaf.

There's also a Paul Weller song where he sings something like 'stones kicked away, displaced by feet'. Jesus!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    fob said:

Wasn't Dreadlock Holiday about an actual mugging incident he had? Bit unfair to be labeled a racist because he wrote a song about it.
    Apparently it was something - or something very like it - that happened to Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3127
    fob said:
    To go back to Meatloaf there is a song in which he sings 'sex and drums and rock and roll'.
    That's almost 'very good indeed' ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Reverend said:
    Gangland rules, as do all the maiden songs mentioned. 
    I just can't take them seriously after hearing the lyrics. The music is fine and the albums themselves are classics :) Maiden were my first real love in music, but these ones do make me chuckle still.

Gangland - murders are for sale..
    In a land, when dinosaurs roamed the earth...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    has anyone said the rant in the middle of down with the sickness yet? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    A couple of lines in Up The Junction by Squeeze make my balls retract into my body.....
    Specifically, 'With some or other passions', 'Although the room was smelly' and 'I took her rather nifty'.
    I can forgive them though for 'The devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie', which is brilliant. 

Pretty much every Kiss lyric makes me want to pull the legs off kittens and 'One likes to believe in the freedom of music' reinforces my instinct that all Rush fans should have their faces rubbed vigorously up and down a dry stone wall. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom