Demanufacture

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
in Music tFB Trader
Just been listening to this as for some reason it was stuck in my head:

Back in 95 when I was 15 it just exploded my mind.
I don't think I was aware of music that sounded like this and I'm as far as I'm aware they were the first with this sort of extreme industrial metal.

Listening back now the sort of guitar tones which were revolutionary then are quite commonplace now as are the alternating shouting, singing vocals. The programmed drums sound a bit weak compared to what would be possible now so maybe it hasn't aged as well as other contemporary metal bands like Pantera and Machine Head.

I don't hear it being talked about much, but I think it must have been super influential.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    It's the only Fear Factory album I've got, which suggests it was probably a bit of a must-have at the time.  Can't say I've listened to them much subsequently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I was surprised to see they've released so many albums.

I'm comparing it to the new Gojira album which just sounds so much more alive while having much of the same blast beats, alternating sing/scream and staccato detuned chug. 

I think it's hugely influential, but maybe hadn't aged all that well.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited April 2021
    Great album. I'm in exactly the same boat as @Philly_Q - my FF delving started and stopped with that one, but I still listen to it every now & again with very little desire to seek out their later stuff.
    I'm much more into groovy, sloppy, stoner-y stuff nowadays, with lots of human error... but it is nice to hear some industrial precision sometimes.
    tFB Trader
    I've dipped into a few of their other albums on YT Music and it all seems much of a muchness without a lot of progression.
    I gather there's been a falling-out between Dino and Burton recently, so it's pretty much a Dino Cazares solo project now.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Yeah once you've heard Demanufacture, there's really not much point diving into their other albums other than for the odd track here and there. They found a recipe - a very unique at the time, and very influential recipe - and then stuck to it.
    Tim
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited April 2021
    Yeah I revisited it a couple of years ago, still stands up imho, so powerful. It was a huge album at the time, I was about 19. Used to be blasted on the jukebox of my local regularly. I even had a Demanufacture hoody! I too have never listened to any other FF albums.
    Just noticed it sits on my shelf between Moon in Scorpio by The Family Stand and The Amalgamut by Filter.  I had no idea I owned the latter....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited April 2021
    I remember the term 'cyber-metal' floating around at the the time, and I agree that they are, to an extent, an overlooked pioneer.

Don't think the Drums were programmed though.

Raymond Herrera was just machine.

Interview plus performance at 2:50. I remember this on Noisy Mothers, I was about 15.

tFB Trader
    I think they must be triggered. Every beat sounds identical.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    They famously used triggers...was a big deal at the time 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    I saw them live - Dino was using the then new Line 6 amp head. Sounded really good as it happens.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I saw them live supporting Devin Townsend and Tesseract and they were utter shite. Washed up doesn't even begin to cover it. Mostly Burton's fault admittedly.

Remember seeing them in the 90s and they were great though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    I saw them at the first UK Ozzfest.
    tFB Trader
    Saw them supporting Ozzy on the Demanufacture tour. They were brutal. I was stood by the speaker stack and  I couldn't breathe properly the bass was so intense.