Tight live performance

What's Hot
JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
Did you ever see such a tight live performance?  Recently released footage from an old Ed Sullivan show - The Band at the top of their game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKu0OTDvQ-w&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0VzEJbOXi5awlaWVxTU6FMhPO2V3zzexpIDYjHLYv5IX9Xc3yKVhoIGJs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23923
    I enjoyed that but I don't think it was unusually tight.

Slayer, Prince, Pantera, Hugh Laurie's band, Meatloaf - just a few I've seen that were as tight or tighter.

It's a shame that some acts are viewed as unusually tight as an exception - it really should be the sloppy ones get called out.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited May 2021
    I too don't want to pour scorn on something you clearly like, but 'tight' isn't something that would spring to mind listening to that.  Sorry!  (I'm not suggesting I'd use a derogatory word, it's just that I wouldn't think 'ooh, they're tight').
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Not watched it yet. The band that come to mind as tight when I saw them live were Chic.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Two standouts for me: Slayer at Reading Festival in 2006, and James Brown supporting RHCP in Hyde Park.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ‘Tight’ Basically describes Tower Of Power.

https://youtu.be/UrxRJ9HlfZk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I'd never seen that before so thanks for posting. An incredible lineup with each of them being super special at multiple disciplines. A lovely shot of Garth noticing he's on camera and getting a little shy. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Steely Dan in 2014, 2017 and 2019 (I think) - similar lineup all three times save for Walter only being there for the first one - insaaaaanely tight. Metronomically tight. Ridiculous, actually. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Two standouts for me: Slayer at Reading Festival in 2006, and James Brown supporting RHCP in Hyde Park.
    Have to say I've never thought of Slayer as a tight band.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Have to say I've never thought of Slayer as a tight band.

Are you out of your mind? Slayer with Dave Lombardo are/were the tightest and meanest metal band of all time
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Gotta say, I agree with @PolarityMan ... never thought of Slayer LIVE as particularly tight. The sheer speed of a lot of it, and the very heavily scooped tones hide quite a lot.  No doubting Lombardo's powers mind.

Chic yeah, I think the most "in the pocket" tight I ever saw was Prince's band during the O2 residency.  Just incredible.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23923
    Slayer's tone isn't scooped at all. The mid boosts they use on mid heavy JCM800s is mental. It shouldn't work.

I saw Prince on that run too - what a show that was!
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    Whitecat said:
    Steely Dan in 2014, 2017 and 2019 (I think) - similar lineup all three times save for Walter only being there for the first one - insaaaaanely tight. Metronomically tight. Ridiculous, actually. 
    Yep....
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

Bezzer said:
    Gotta say, I agree with @PolarityMan ... never thought of Slayer LIVE as particularly tight. The sheer speed of a lot of it, and the very heavily scooped tones hide quite a lot.  No doubting Lombardo's powers mind.

Chic yeah, I think the most "in the pocket" tight I ever saw was Prince's band during the O2 residency.  Just incredible.

Tbh they're barely a metal band..have very much a punk vibe.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Also Kerry kings leads sound like he is falling down some stairs while playing guitar.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Whitecat said:
    Yep. I was at 2014 and 2019 shows and would agree wholeheartedly.

also, surprisingly so, but Funeral for a Friend were one of the tightest live shows I ever did see
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    Most Megadeth line ups spring to mind for tightness, but particularly the classic Mustaine, Ellefson, Friedman & Menza era, and the current incarnation with Loureiro & Verbeuren. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Snarky Puppy are pretty damn tight

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    joneve said:
    Whitecat said:
    Yep. I was at 2014 and 2019 shows and would agree wholeheartedly.
    My dad was with me at the 2017 & 2019 shows - he said that the only other band he’d ever seen that was on that level was Duke Ellington’s orchestra. Quite a compliment for Fagen & co quite frankly and I think he’d graciously accept that!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Tightest I’ve seen was Robert Cray.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it