Best album with the worst cover?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    Their Born Again regularly makes it to worst album art lists. By no means their finest hour but not entirely terrible either so deserved something better than a lino print done by a ten year old. 
    Artwork by former Kerrang! art director and late-night TV presenter Steve "Krusher" Joule, if I remember correctly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    It's maybe a marmite thing but I can't stand the 'Stones "Sticky Fingers" artwork.  I don't think it's aged well but I always thought it was crass anyway.

Mind you, apart from Brown Sugar the music isn't that great (ducks to avoid flying objects).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Cols said:
    Beyond a doubt, Black Sabbath - Paranoid.  A terrible album cover in its own right which looks like it was shot on a budget of 50p, but doubly jarring compared to the evocative brilliance of the debut album cover.
    I think it's a great cover, which accidentally almost represents the album title in some ways.

Master Of Reality is a terrible cover though... that really does look like it was done on a budget of about 5p.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Scorpions - Lovedrive is pretty terrible considering who is responsible for it
    yocky said:
    Scorpions had a whole string of crass album covers, though, it was almost a trademark... at least on Lovedrive and Animal Magnetism the standard of photography was better.

I still like those covers.  I think they were "of their time" even though it may not be socially acceptable to say so.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4995
    Philly_Q said:
    Their Born Again regularly makes it to worst album art lists. By no means their finest hour but not entirely terrible either so deserved something better than a lino print done by a ten year old. 
    Artwork by former Kerrang! art director and late-night TV presenter Steve "Krusher" Joule, if I remember correctly.
    Yeah, it seems he really didn't want the job and sent in something he thought would get rejected. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

I remember seeing the cover when I bought a reissue and it was included for completeness. I thought it was tasteless and, frankly, a bad image - it had been stretched out slightly which made them all look a little odd. I was relieved when I found out that Hendrix hated it too.
    fob said:

I remember seeing the cover when I bought a reissue and it was included for completeness. I thought it was tasteless and, frankly, a bad image - it had been stretched out slightly which made them all look a little odd. I was relieved when I found out that Hendrix hated it too.
    I quite like it, even though by modern standards it's pretty sexist and in poor taste. It does capture the vibe of its time quite well, including the slight photo-distortion... it's like a pushing-the-boundaries Rubber Soul.

I had an original vinyl copy years ago... sold it when I cleared out all my vinyl. Of course it's now worth about ten times what I got for it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    fob said:

I quite like it, even though by modern standards it's pretty sexist and in poor taste. It does capture the vibe of its time quite well, including the slight photo-distortion... it's like a pushing-the-boundaries Rubber Soul.

I had an original vinyl copy years ago... sold it when I cleared out all my vinyl. Of course it's now worth about ten times what I got for it.
    Yeah, to me it's the cover I saw in the record shops when I was a kid and it's the "right" cover, whether Hendrix liked it or not!  It annoyed me when Experience Hendrix didn't use the picture when they did their first batch of "authentic" reissues.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
    edited May 2021
    The Fleetwood Mac dog and dustbin album where the graffiti has so obviously been added to the picture at a later date...

Not awful, but it just annoys me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Philly_Q said:
    yocky said:
    Scorpions had a whole string of crass album covers, though, it was almost a trademark... at least on Lovedrive and Animal Magnetism the standard of photography was better.

I still like those covers.  I think they were "of their time" even though it may not be socially acceptable to say so.
    I don't have an issue with its social acceptability. I'm just a bit confused about how you go to Storm whatshisface and end up with that. They got slightly better value for money next time with Animal Magnetism. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited May 2021
    Led Zep IV is a pretty good album, and Rolf's cover of Stairway is pretty awful, so does this count?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    One of my fave ever albums is Rush, Signals. I HATED the cover though - a dog sniffing a hydrant???? what a load of rubbish!

I never like Moving pictures either - blokes moving pictures ....

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited May 2021
    Metallica - Kill Em All 

• vizviz Frets: 10680
    The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette. Well the cover’s ok but doesn’t have universal appeal shall we say. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 476
    axisus said:
    One of my fave ever albums is Rush, Signals. I HATED the cover though - a dog sniffing a hydrant???? what a load of rubbish!

I never like Moving pictures either - blokes moving pictures ....

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Signals are either. 

I can get behind Moving Pictures though with the double/triple entandres. 

There are 5 man physically moving pictures
    The pictures themselves are well known and 'moving' (with the starman as a bit of tongue in cheek)
    The people to the right are being moved by the pictures.

Similar stories with Power Windows.
    Dated now, but of its time.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Blind Faith 

To this day I can’t work out why that was approved 
    But what a cracker of an album!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284

I can get behind Moving Pictures though with the double/triple entandres. 

There are 5 man physically moving pictures
    The pictures themselves are well known and 'moving' (with the starman as a bit of tongue in cheek)
    The people to the right are being moved by the pictures.

That's all to 'clever' for my liking. It's basically just a naff photo. I think great albums should have a powerful image - Rainbow Rising, Brain Salad Surgery, News of the World etc.
    axisus said:

I think great albums should have a powerful image - Rainbow Rising
    That's actually so bad it's almost great.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'd like to nominate 'Presence' Led Zeppelin.
    Just weird........