0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For a second there I was confused.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited May 2021
    Gosh, long time. 

I love this photo of Bob and the Wailers walking down the alley at the side of the Birmingham Odeon, insisting on carrying their own gear. 

https://i.imgur.com/iuGqRPs.jpg

There’s a very interesting short documentary about Bob coming to Britain that’s well worth a watch..

[ can’t get a link to work but it’s on iPlayer] 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I absolutely can't stand Reggae.

But I have one Bob Marley album. I think that says something.
  • skayskay Frets: 391
    For a second there I was confused.
    Me too, I thought he had died again!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I love this photo of Bob and the Wailers walking down the alley at the side of the Birmingham Odeon, insisting on carrying their own gear. 

No amps or drum kit?

Colin Murray had a big Bob Marley tribute on his radio show last night, a lot of people being very sycophantic and/or going on about how they were his best buddies, although they'd have all been extremely young when he died... I had to turn it off.

But I'll agree with @axisus - I don't like reggae (oh no, I love it no really I don't), and although I haven't got any Marley records I do like the hit singles I remember from my youth.

I don't know enough about reggae to say this - but it seems perhaps his songwriting was a bit broader in scope than many reggae artists?
    Philly_Q said:

No amps or drum kit?

Colin Murray had a big Bob Marley tribute on his radio show last night, a lot of people being very sycophantic and/or going on about how they were his best buddies, although they'd have all been extremely young when he died... I had to turn it off.

But I'll agree with @axisus - I don't like reggae (oh no, I love it no really I don't), and although I haven't got any Marley records I do like the hit singles I remember from my youth.

I don't know enough about reggae to say this - but it seems perhaps his songwriting was a bit broader in scope than many reggae artists?
    I listen to a fair bit of reggae and reggae influenced music and he stands apart. The very early Wailers stuff was generic ska and early reggae but he started making records that were produced more for a rock audience, he was a great showman, great singer, had some very good musicians* and wrote some classic songs many of which survive being covered outside the genre. 
    I probably prefer his old band mate Peter Tosh to listen to and Tosh took that blueprint of adding a rock influence but the lyrical and musical approaches weren’t as broad. A lot of seventies reggae is very much about religion and politics and Rasta culture which doesn’t translate to a wider audience. Then there’s dub from that period which almost takes away the song form entirely and I know that many people find it basically unlistenable.
    I can’t think of another figure to come out of reggae with anything like the stature of Marley. His kids have had careers and there are artists who have been big within reggae but nobody with that kind of cross over appeal. And dying relatively young he still had his looks and hadn’t had a chance to become embarrassing and is marketed as an iconic figure. He’s made a lot of money for his estate I’m sure.

* on stage guitarist Junior Marvin turned down Stevie Wonder in favour of the Marley gig. Roger Mayer ( famous for working with Hendrix as well Stevie Wonder) did tech work for Marley and Marvin. 
    Paul Kossoff was supposedly offered a touring gig as a Wailer but was too ill to go and suggested his friend Al Anderson who also made may of the Peter Tosh records. Wonderful blues based guitarist, I saw him live about 15 years ago and one of the great gigs of my life. And the rest of the Wailers pretty much the royalty of Jamaican reggae of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

No amps or drum kit?

IIRC the story was that they hadn’t long arrived from Jamaica and didn’t trust strange people offering to carry their stuff for them. Wether there was supplied backline, the backline was fetched on a second trip or it’s just not an accurate story I guess I’ll never know! 
    It’s really just a grim alley and if you go to the top of it you’re  onto a main shopping street. In the seventies and eighties the Birmingham Odeon was a major rock venue ( long since gone back to being a cinema only) but I don’t think many of the performers arrived like that.

[ Also the venue where Clapton made his racist rant ]
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    BBC World Service had an anniversary tribute programme, hosted by Benjamin Zephaniah. 
    Be seeing you.
    Philly_Q said:

No amps or drum kit?

IIRC the story was that they hadn’t long arrived from Jamaica and didn’t trust strange people offering to carry their stuff for them. Wether there was supplied backline, the backline was fetched on a second trip or it’s just not an accurate story I guess I’ll never know! 
    It’s really just a grim alley and if you go to the top of it you’re  onto a main shopping street. In the seventies and eighties the Birmingham Odeon was a major rock venue ( long since gone back to being a cinema only) but I don’t think many of the performers arrived like that.

[ Also the venue where Clapton made his racist rant ]
    I have been to the Birmingham Odeon once - to see Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush.  It was a coach from Swansea then straight home again at the end, so I saw nothing of the area!
    BBC World Service had an anniversary tribute programme, hosted by Benjamin Zephaniah. 
    There was a very low budget documentary on Sky Arts last night which seemed to have no access to any of his music so I gave up after ten minutes but I'll have a listen to BZ, he's someone I have a lot of time for.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Somewhere, in our attic probably, I have a CD of Bob Marley & The Wailers.  It might be one of the Legend series but other than No Woman No Cry, the music does nothing for me.  Still hard to believe it is forty years since he died.  RIP.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    I first got into Bob's music in about 1977 when I was hitch-hiking in Africa, and was picked up by a multi-national band of young people in a WV camper. They had huge hi-fi speakers in the back and played, among other things, 'Rastaman Vibration', as I remember, at high volume. I was lucky enough to see his show in Dublin on 6 July 1980, which was one of his last gigs (final one was in Pittsburgh in September).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I really love his early stuff produced by Leslie Kong and Scratch Perry, something about those records, the slightly lo-fi quality that can't be beaten. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2021
    No Woman, No Cry is a top tune!

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I’m not a fan of reggae in even the smallest way but Buffalo Soldier is a good song. 
    Can’t think of a single other reggae band which shows his cross over appeal
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    It's beyond my comprehension that people don't like reggae.  To chill, there's nothing better than any Bob Marley album and to tap your toes too, a bit of roots reggae or lovers rock is the business.
    Said the man who listens to Robert Johnson at least once every week.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    It's beyond my comprehension that people don't like reggae.  To chill, there's nothing better than any Bob Marley album and to tap your toes too, a bit of roots reggae or lovers rock is the business.
    Said the man who listens to Robert Johnson at least once every week.
    There is no point trying to comprehend anyone else's taste in music. :)
    If we all liked the same things we’d all be married to your father. 
    That was interesting, mostly about his funeral. State funeral which brought the country to standstill, not many other musicians anywhere who would have that kind of importance. 
    And a nice reminder of Bob the lyricist, they weren't all gems but he had a good turn of phrase. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I used to listen almost exclusively to reggae but the best way to enjoy it is when it's played live.
    Much as I liked Bob Marley and the Wailers, I kind of preferred Toots & the Maytals.