Deep Purple with Joe Satriani

What's Hot
martmart Frets: 5205
Last time I saw Purple was back in '94, with this rather temporary line-up, and it was a weird but enjoyable experience.

Listening to the St. Gallen bootleg this afternoon it just sounds like they're having so much fun, and Satch is flying. I can't be arsed with his solo stuff, but in this context he is just incredible. Blackmore was pretty good, but he seems to be on a different level.

Any other fans of this particular combo?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 396
    A lot of those stunt guitar players shine when they have a song to play on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    I would have liked to have seen that gig too. I've only seen Deep Purple twice - on the House Of Blue Light tour (classic line-up, very good) and the Slaves And Masters tour (Joe Lynn Turner, not good) and Blackmore live once recently, with 'Rainbow' (*really* not good).

I've always thought he would have been a much better permanent replacement for Blackmore than Morse was. Morse is a great player but it's never sounded 'like Deep Purple' with him to me, whereas it did with Satriani - even though Satriani was obviously subbing for Blackmore rather than writing new material.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Even so, Steve morse gave them some well deserved stability. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

I saw the reformed line up with Blackmore which seemed fine at the time: 30+ years ago? Although Blackmore had a solo spot which I remember as awful. 
    I saw a Morse line up a few years ago which was generally abysmal. 
    I saw the Blackmore’s Rainbow tour a few years ago which I think I liked more than ICBM but it was still very flawed. 

So, yes, I suspect the Satriani version might have been one of the better line ups. Found the audio on YouTube.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Never really thought they sounded like anything other than an Ian Gillan solo project with Steve Morse.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Is there any video of them with Satriani?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    I would have liked to have seen that gig too. I've only seen Deep Purple twice - on the House Of Blue Light tour (classic line-up, very good) and the Slaves And Masters tour (Joe Lynn Turner, not good) and Blackmore live once recently, with 'Rainbow' (*really* not good).

I've always thought he would have been a much better permanent replacement for Blackmore than Morse was. Morse is a great player but it's never sounded 'like Deep Purple' with him to me, whereas it did with Satriani - even though Satriani was obviously subbing for Blackmore rather than writing new material.
    I know what you mean, although it's weird - Satch has quite a distinctive style, so he should really stand out, but somehow it fits. It feels as if he could freely improvise in his own style, and Lord could bounce off him while relaxing, knowing that Satch could keep up with anything he could try.

And I guess I'm biassed by their choice of set list - they dug out lots of my favourite album tracks or b-sides - things like anyone's daughter, when a blind man cries, pictures of home.

I also saw them around 87 with Blackmore, and somehow that just seemed drab - they did not seem to be enjoying it, and then Blackmore stormed off and refused to encore, which at least made for a very memorable guitar-less SOTW.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:
    Agreed.  I like Morse but - although this can't actually be true - it doesn't feel like he contributes anything to Deep Purple.  I've bought several of the recent albums but I don't know why I did, they've all been "one listen then never again".  Mostly because I can't stand Gillan nowadays, but I never notice what Morse is doing.

It would've been interesting to see what Satriani might have done.  I think he'd have certainly made his presence felt, and not just in an OTT guitar hero way.  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I saw Purple on the 1987 House of Blue Light Tour at Wembley. It was the first time I had seen one of my favourite bandfs of all time. To say I was disappointed was putting it mildly. Blackmore seemed to be phoning it in and Ian Paice's drumming was, er, restrained. They could have been any other band. The post-Gillan albums that followed were just as bad.

Then Steve Morse joined. i liked Perpendicular, it was a much better album than I thought it would be. The next few albums were okay but the original Mark II lineup had been so brilliant that anyting that followed was going to pale by comparison.

Morse isn't Blackmore, Airey isn't Lord. But Gillan wasn't Evans and Glover wasn't Simper. Lineups change.

And strangely enough the latest album (Whoosh) is really good.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Redlester said:
    I would have loved to have heard them with Detective Chief Inspector Endeavour Morse on guitar. Shame that never happened. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    mart said:

I know what you mean, although it's weird - Satch has quite a distinctive style, so he should really stand out, but somehow it fits. It feels as if he could freely improvise in his own style, and Lord could bounce off him while relaxing, knowing that Satch could keep up with anything he could try.
    Yes, this. I should get another copy of that bootleg, in fact...

scrumhalf said:
    I saw Purple on the 1987 House of Blue Light Tour at Wembley. It was the first time I had seen one of my favourite bandfs of all time. To say I was disappointed was putting it mildly. Blackmore seemed to be phoning it in and Ian Paice's drumming was, er, restrained. They could have been any other band.
    It's interesting how variable that House Of Blue Light tour seems to have been - I saw them at the Edinburgh Playhouse and they were really very good. Blackmore was a grumpy bugger as seems to be normal, and he almost refused to play Woman From Tokyo (which he apparently hates, although it's one of my favourite Purple tracks), but the others actually seemed to be having a good time and played very well.

I've actually just bought the album again on CD, I had almost forgotten how good it is - I think it's better than Perfect Strangers, and is the last proper Deep Purple album, for me... The Battle Rages On doesn't really count, even though Blackmore and Gillan are both on it. The title probably reflects the atmosphere in the studio :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

merlin said:
    Redlester said:
    I would have loved to have heard them with Detective Chief Inspector Endeavour Morse on guitar. Shame that never happened. 
    @merlin I saw that lineup at Oxford on the Red Jag in my Garage tour. Some bloke called Lewis was on bass. It was bloody murder. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    Redlester said:
    merlin said:
    Redlester said:
    @merlin I saw that lineup at Oxford on the Red Jag in my Garage tour. Some bloke called Lewis was on bass. It was bloody murder. 
    Must have been Deep Purple Mk Thaw.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    StefB said:
    Redlester said:
    merlin said:
    Redlester said:
    Indeed it was. For the encore John sang   an old favourite from Deep Purple Mk Sweeney, “Smoke on the Dennis Waterman”. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    StefB said:
    Redlester said:
    merlin said:
    Redlester said:
    From the album Haskins Of Blue Light. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    I loved his version of "Deep Purple Rain" by The Artist Formerly Known as Endeavour. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Is there any video of them with Satriani?
    https://youtu.be/y9T2-zdacsk
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Wow, he still had hair! I'd forgotten that.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    edited May 2021
    Redlester said:
    Absolutely. I found out Steve Morse after seeing a gig back in the 90s. I'd heard his name indeed but I didn't know how sublime this musician was. His solos tore my head off that night. His solo albums are flawless. Anyway, what a supreme band. I think Blackmore is Deep Purple and there isn't really a possible replacement. However, it's been great to see them gig with Morse, and I reckon it would've been just as great to see the great Satch rocking along with Deep Purple. Those of you who've experienced this are massively lucky and I envy you :angry: 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    I prefer the lineup with Tommy Bolin. Sorry.