Help me find a Bonzo Dog Band song

What's Hot
smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
edited December 2020 in Music
Hi all,

I remember from my yoof, a Bonzos song that I haven't been able to find again. From what I remember, it consists of an apparently endless series of cliche classical music endings - each apparent ending, instead of actually ending, just goes into another deceptive non-ending. And it goes on and on like that until (ironically) it fades out.

Anyone remember the song I mean??

(There is another song, by Dudley Moore, that is based on a similar idea - but I'm pretty sure that's distinct from the one I'm thinking of.) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Are you thinking of Intro and Outro

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    Thanks - but, no, not that one. Like I say, it sounds like a piece of classical music - imagine the dramatic finale of something like Beethoven's 5th. But every time you think that big crashing chord is the last, it instead goes into another false build up, then another, then another... Five or so minutes of thinking it's the end, but it never is (until the fade out).

If you've heard it you'll know what I mean - it's brilliant.

Someone must remember it...?
  • I'm a big bonzos fan but I dont recognise that description. You sure its the Bonzos? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was hoping the question would be "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    edited December 2020
    It's by Peter Schickele in his brilliant comic guise of P.D.Q Bach. I can't remember what it's called though.

I've been looking for it for ages. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    > I'm a big bonzos fan but I dont recognise that description. You sure its the Bonzos? 

Pretty sure. It was on a double LP compilation album that I had in the mid 70s.

> It's by Peter Schickele in his brilliant comic guise of P.D.Q Bach. I can't remember what it's called though.

Do you mean this:  ?? If so, no, it's not that! It wasn't a real orchestra - just the Bonzos lads playing their usual eclectic collection of instruments.
    edited May 2021
    No, the piece I'm thinking of is a long orchestral (and classical) cadence, going on and on for about five minutes, kind of 5-1-5-1-5-1-5-1-5-1-5-1.....etc with a full orchestra. 
  • RichardLWRichardLW Frets: 0
    You are right, I remember it well and have been looking for it for ages.  It's as if Beethoven didn't know when to stop
    Richard LW
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Slush?
    mart said:
    Slush?

No, not Slush - that’s the one with the spooky repeated laugh over a dreamy orchestral theme.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Yeah, I just remembered the orchestral bit. 
    Are you sure it's the Bonzos?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    I've just skimmed though the cornology box set and nothing stands out as being like what you are looking for. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I have the 2011 3-CD set, A Dog's Life. All five studio albums plus about a dozen bonus tracks. Nothing orchestral with multiple false endings springs to mind. 

My best guess is Jazz (Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold) from the album Gorilla.
    Be seeing you.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Hmm, it sounds like something Victor Borge might have done?

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    Gerard Hoffnung, perhaps.
    Thanks for looking guys - although you're starting to make me think I've imagined it. Except that @RichardLW gives me confidence that I haven't :-).

By the way, there's also a Dudley Moore thing that has a similar concept of never-quite-ending:

That is also quite brilliant - but it's not what I'm thinking of.

Actually, the only Bonzos LPs I ever owned were "History the Bonzos" (a compilation) and "Let's Make Up And Be Friendly". so it must be on one of those two. I guess I'll just have to get the track lists of those and listen to the songs one by one.

I remember it too, so you're not on your own, there are at least three of us living in this particular altered reality. 
    merlin said:
    I remember it too, so you're not on your own, there are at least three of us living in this particular altered reality. 
    Phew!
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Could the mystery music be from a Bonzo's television appearance? e.g. Do Not Adjust Your Set.
    Be seeing you.