Best band /musicians ads/classifieds?

What's Hot
Slash'N'burnSlash'N'burn Frets: 162
edited May 2021 in Live
Which site do you find best for joining/starting a band or finding others to jam with?

I’ve had a look on joinmyband.co.uk and bandmix,  a few others that don’t seem to have much traffic, and others with apps but they seem to be limited to just London at the moment.

Have I missed anything good or the most popular?

The last time I did this, it was ads in the Loot

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Going back a bit now but I used JoinMyBand okay. You have to ignore all the crap, I'd also suggest that you advertise - when I did I had quite a lot of responses from people who lurk on there but don't want to deal with all the crazy people.
    I guess local facebook groups as well. 
    Presumably we will see a bit of an explosion in the next few months but understandably all a bit quiet at the moment.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    We've just had to recruit a drummer and a bass player for one of my bands.

I placed an ad on JoinMyBand and got replies from 8 drummers and 5 bass players within a week to 10 days.  We found our drummer this way.

We placed an ad on Bandmix but actually found a bass player on their already looking, so we're sorted.

I've done the recruiting before, so I knew what to expect.  Be prepared;

Have answers to the obvious questions.  What's the set list, if this is a covers band, or have a decent explanation about your style / links to recordings if it's original material.  When and where do you practice, how often do you gig etc.

Think about how and when you will meet / audition.

Start a list / spreadsheet with everyone's details right from the first response.  Username, real name, age, direct email, phone etc (some people will provide some details straight away others won't be so forthcoming.  It is really difficult to keep track after only a couple of inquiries because you are not putting names to faces.  User names vs real names is also fun.

Make a note as to where you are with the exchange.  Are you awaiting answers or do you owe them some info?

The direct messaging service on JoinMyBand is shit.  The inbox capacity is miniscule and the reply structure is confusing, so record the most relevant info before it gets deleted.

Finally, be prepared for fuckwits.  They are a fact of life.  I love the guy who contacts you with the message "set list" (not even a ? at the end).  You reply with the list / details anyway, you hear nothing and then 4 weeks later you get a 'request' for the set list from the same person.  At this point it is perfectly acceptable to let the ignorant twat have it with both barrels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Musicwolf said:

I placed an ad on JoinMyBand and got replies from 8 drummers and 5 bass players within a week to 10 days.  We found our drummer this way.

We placed an ad on Bandmix but actually found a bass player on their already looking, so we're sorted.

Have answers to the obvious questions.  What's the set list, if this is a covers band, or have a decent explanation about your style / links to recordings if it's original material.  When and where do you practice, how often do you gig etc.

Start a list / spreadsheet with everyone's details right from the first response.  Username, real name, age, direct email, phone etc (some people will provide some details straight away others won't be so forthcoming.  It is really difficult to keep track after only a couple of inquiries because you are not putting names to faces.  User names vs real names is also fun.

Make a note as to where you are with the exchange.  Are you awaiting answers or do you owe them some info?

The direct messaging service on JoinMyBand is shit.  The inbox capacity is miniscule and the reply structure is confusing, so record the most relevant info before it gets deleted.

Finally, be prepared for fuckwits.  They are a fact of life.  I love the guy who contacts you with the message "set list" (not even a ? at the end).  You reply with the list / details anyway, you hear nothing and then 4 weeks later you get a 'request' for the set list from the same person.  At this point it is perfectly acceptable to let the ignorant twat have it with both barrels.
    Have you considered deploying a full CRM system?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    horse said:
    It's almost what you need to do.  The first time I ran an ad like this I thought no problem, few enquiries, I'm used to managing teams of people spread across several different countries, I'll do this in my sleep.  Then suddenly you've got emails from 'Dogsbollox72' asking questions about the set list and practice times who then turns out to be called Mike but not the same Mike who is called 'Bass-man2' but who wants to be contacted directly at mikeanddebby@gmail.com.  Neither of whom you have met.

Thank god we have found our guys and we can move on.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Joinmyband has worked for me. Just do everything that @Musicwolf has said. 

It’s been said that “Being in a band is easy. You just have to turn up and play. A lot of wannabees fail at step one.” After that it’s down to teamwork and personality.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Musicwolf said:
    horse said:
    It's almost what you need to do.  The first time I ran an ad like this I thought no problem, few enquiries, I'm used to managing teams of people spread across several different countries, I'll do this in my sleep.  Then suddenly you've got emails from 'Dogsbollox72' asking questions about the set list and practice times who then turns out to be called Mike but not the same Mike who is called 'Bass-man2' but who wants to be contacted directly at mikeanddebby@gmail.com.  Neither of whom you have met.

Thank god we have found our guys and we can move on.

I know exactly what you mean, and agree - just the detailed instructions made me chuckle :-)
  • Slash'N'burnSlash'N'burn Frets: 162
    Musicwolf said:

Thanks all.

So it seems it’s not so much which site you use, it’s how you deal with the fuckwits, and how you keep track of the good’uns. :)

Got some decent responses from joinmyband so far, not ventured into bandmix yet.

So it seems it’s not so much which site you use, it’s how you deal with the fuckwits, and how you keep track of the good’uns. :)

Yeah.  You've have to kiss a lot of frogs I'm afraid.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    It's not always easy...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Any alternative to these? Just wasted a fuck ton of time to audition for a band. Charted & learned 2 h of material, learned solos, worked out everything and practised it. Turned up to the audition and the lead singer knew 2 styles of rhythm guitar. Out of tune and flat out distorted Marshall. Seemed a bit put out when I politely corrected his selection of chords. Then I had to show him how some of the songs ended and pointed out missed chords.

Oh yes we are adding ‘this’ to the set, can you jam along?

And is there anything you would like to try? I select a song from the set.....’Oh we don’t know that yet....’

Time wasters.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rsvmark said:
    Any alternative to these? Just wasted a fuck ton of time to audition for a band. Charted & learned 2 h of material, learned solos, worked out everything and practised it. Turned up to the audition and the lead singer knew 2 styles of rhythm guitar. Out of tune and flat out distorted Marshall. Seemed a bit put out when I politely corrected his selection of chords. Then I had to show him how some of the songs ended and pointed out missed chords.

And is there anything you would like to try? I select a song from the set.....’Oh we don’t know that yet....’

Time wasters.
    I tend to ask to see or hear some live or rehearsal footage or recordings before I bother learning anything new. Just to make sure they're not a waste of time
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    horse said:
    rsvmark said:

Time wasters.
    I tend to ask to see or hear some live or rehearsal footage or recordings before I bother learning anything new. Just to make sure they're not a waste of time
    Do this! It might seem a bit precious...but, my god, it would have saved me from two or three endless evenings of misery over the years; politely dodging awkward questions about 'availability for next time' whilst packing away :'(
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    Also, focus on the rhythm section: if that ain't working, nothing will save it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23938
    Also, focus on the rhythm section: if that ain't working, nothing will save it!
    This.

It's a simple fact that a band can survive a mediocre singer / guitarist. But if the rhythm section is off then the whole thing is off.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Remember you are auditioning the band not just them auditioning you. Approach it in that light and you cant go far wrong.
    There are a lot of frogs and few prince/princesses so pucker up.
    Seems you have to be patient with joinmyband,  after a week I had no replies and my ad was buried several pages back, then there was a sudden surge of over 10 messages ranging from a signed band, to paid duo work (both out of my league) and various cover bands/ jamming opportunities. 
    horse said:
    rsvmark said:

Time wasters.
    I should of done this - arranged an initial jam with a band - pretty good setlist but I haven't asked enough questions, no idea on their skill level or what their plans are - I’ve learned about 10 songs on a rough basis from their setlist which has took up a lot of time -  could be an interesting evening!