John Taylor Duran Duran

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6264
I'm listening to the album Rio at the moment.

Not really ever listened to their albums much. He's a mighty fine player. Just check out the playing on the title track, v v good indeed. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    They always very good but their publicity concentrated on image because that was what sold records and concert tickets.

(See also: Nick Beggs)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    One of the most underrated bass players.

He's a big part of the reason I love Aria SB series basses, even though he actually hasn't played one - at least in public - since the 80s as far as I know. Apparently he still has one, according to his autobiography - which is a really good read, if you haven't already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    He did a few YouTube videos last year showing the bass lines for a number of songs.
    Always loved Rio. Played it in an 80’s band a few years ago.
    https://youtu.be/mtcLKAGN-II
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Brilliant band all round really
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Durans guitarist Dom Brown will be streaming a live show from his studio this very eve...

https://youtu.be/WgCqT-YdY6E

you can hear the new “ghetto 310” in full swing :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    A great bass player.

It's not a competition.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I always liked Rio - it's a good bass workout.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    A pro bassist mate of mine, Mike Brooks, has a channel and he interviewed John Taylor back in 2015 if anyone's interested

I reckon in the 80s, John Taylor was responsible for more people picking up the bass than a lot of other bassists. If you listen to his basslines in isolation, they're real work outs and quite involved.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I was 13 when Rio was released, and I was a fan of all Duran's singles, but never bothered with the albums, Decades is a good compilation, from the late 80s. They were massive, and to be fair, a proper band with proper players, proper songs. But...never paid much attention to the bass playing. I was more interested, back then, in listening to Mick Karn, Pino Palladino.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    When I used to play in a covers band I got the band to play Girls on Film just so I could play the bassline as it's super fun.

It's impossible to get the basslines sounding exactly like the record. Apparently a lot of them were done with the main parts played with a pick to get that even clicky sound and then the fills are overdubbed and played with the thumb to get the pop.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Iirc he has a couple of Bernard Edwards' Stingrays. Also I believe his name is really Nigel. I've always liked them but haven't really paid attention to them since Ordinary World was out. I shall investigate. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Yes he's a Nigel ( it's a bit less rock'n'roll ). He has cameo in the film King Rocker which shows he has a sense of humour as well.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2627
    Yes he's a Nigel ( it's a bit less rock'n'roll ).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HCDaviesHCDavies Frets: 12
    Have to say a the time, the press presentation of DD meant I didn't even listen to them, the beeb bracketing them with Human League and Culture Club. However the tune they did with John Barry for View To A Kill did impress me. If only John had stopped the keyboard player dominating they could of been so much better.

Learnt a few of their songs, also was very impressed with the Powerstation album which really shows John and Andy's abilities far better than DD. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited May 2021
    Bloody love DD I do. 

Edit - oh, I already said that earlier. Soz
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Absolutely brilliant pop band. I have an in-progress playlist of every uplifting song I can think of (600 songs and counting - highly recommended playlist everyone should have, btw) and I always break out in a grin when Rio comes around on shuffle, 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    He’s outstanding, his book as someone said is awesome too, also Andy Taylor book is great and Martin Kemp , bass player wise Stings books are ace and I really like guy Pratt’s too 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    They were all good.........Nick Rhodes was a great player too
    They were the Coldplay of the 80s (sophisticated pop ) but in a different league musicaly
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited June 2021
    Le Bon does have some issues with accurate pitching, it has to be said... which would now be simply fixed with AutoTune before it saw the light of day. But still a great frontman, and (at least most of) his lyrics aren’t bad. There’s certainly a lot more of a proper band writing and performing their own music than a large amount of what passes for mainstream pop these days...

[/Isoundlikemydad] :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    I love John Taylor, I was surprised that Guy Pratt singled him out for ridicule in his stand-up show.

(See also: Nick Beggs)
    As for Nick Beggs - anyone who's played bass for John Paul Jones can't be bad!