Further Tyler finish query

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
Having attempted a Burning Water style finish (and been quite pleased with the results), I'd like to up my game a little and try out the Shmear finish they do, much like this one.

Tyler Japan Studio Elite HD Black Shmear Black Headstock Rear Rout Rosewood Fingerboard (guitarguitar.co.uk)

Looking at the Burning Water/Vomit finishes, I think the Shmear may be used as a base layer too. However, Im not sure how to go about it. To me it looks like 2 slightly incompatible/non mixing lacquer have been applied wet. But I would very much appreciate any advice from the finishing guru's out there.
What lacquer/paint would you recommend, how would you apply them?

It may be possible to achieve this with a dipped paint effect (which Ive never done), so advice on doing such a thing would also be greatfully received.

Many thanks,
Adam

P.S. If anyone has any poor condition Squier Silver Series they would like to sell on, please let me know!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1468
    It looks like a marbilzer has been used
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    euan said:
    How would that be applied? Given that it is an all-over finish? Cheers, Adam
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    some of them look almost like a swirl that hasn't been swirled properly.  Some look like paint has just been chucked on them and left to drip

so likely a poured effect similar to this kind of thing - with all the challenges of doing that on a weird shape

• euaneuan Frets: 1468
    Kalimna said:
    euan said:
    You spray it the base colour, then the marbilzer colour, then wrap it in some form of plastic sheeting(cling film or something heavier), move the finish about by hand then remove the wrap.
    edited May 2021
    euan said:
    Kalimna said:
    euan said:
    You spray it the base colour, then the marbilzer colour, then wrap it in some form of plastic sheeting(cling film or something heavier), move the finish about by hand then remove the wrap.
    plastic bags work well... get them whilst you still can

it gives this kind of effect

I must be bored, I just had a play.

I started with black, silver and clear acrylic pored into a little shot glass similar to the acrylic pour technique.  poured it on and let it run.   paints a bit thin so it ran straight off, but promising

I added some silver drops straight to that and lay it flat.  after about 10 minutes i pulled the silver through the black with the end of a pencil

I then left it stood at an angle so it could start to flow out - which i think starts top get close to the desired effect

would take a lot more practice before I was happy to try it on a guitar though
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited May 2021
    WezV said:
    some of them look almost like a swirl that hasn't been swirled properly.  Some look like paint has just been chucked on them and left to drip

so likely a poured effect similar to this kind of thing - with all the challenges of doing that on a weird shape

I did an Acrylic pour on a Tele body, it was an utter disaster! Mrs B had done several on canvas, which worked well, so I gave it a go....the body is sulking in the loft.....I havent the energy or inclination to try and remove the acrylic paint, nor know how!.....its a technique that really doesnt give predictable results...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

WezV said:
    I must be bored, I just had a play.

I started with black, silver and clear acrylic pored into a little shot glass similar to the acrylic pour technique.  poured it on and let it run.   paints a bit thin so it ran straight off, but promising

I added some silver drops straight to that and lay it flat.  after about 10 minutes i pulled the silver through the black with the end of a pencil

I then left it stood at an angle so it could start to flow out - which i think starts top get close to the desired effect

would take a lot more practice before I was happy to try it on a guitar though
    That looks pretty much bang on the money there. Acrylic paints are not something I have any experience of (beyond a small amount of airbrushing models), would you mind sharing brands/volumes/timings etc to achieve that? As I don't think the marbleising methods mentioned earlier (though fabulous looking on their own) don't achieve the 'flowing' effect of the Shmear.
    Cheers,
    Adam
    That was just some Tamiya model paints I have.   I probably wouldnt use on a guitar so I would be looking to replicate  colours and consistencies  in the lacquer of choice.

I think viscosity and timings will be important. .. but it seems to be a mix or pour, tilt, fiddle  etc.  I suspect Tyler drag the finish across in streaks, then let it run
    Thats interesting - im familiar with the clear acrylics in Tamiya's range. It might be worthwhile trialling the solids too.
    Do you think they cure hard enough for a guitar?
    I wonder if using jets of air might be a way to achieve a softer 'streaking' effect?
    But yes, i agree that the viscosity/timing/(?ambient temp) will be important.
    Thinking about it more, I would probably try rag rolling  the colour on, before letting it flow.   The Tyler's seem to have repeating patterns in the streaks, which a roller could potentially replicate.  It might make it easier to work round a suspended body too

• Following :)
    Great gen lads...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life