Bypass loopers- thoughts and general experience with them

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
Hello guys and gals

After a decade or so of farting around with pedals. And even thinking about going down the dark route of a multi fx  (i kid, I'm just too dim to use them!). I have finally established my pedal needs

Wah
Medium to High gain pedal
Middley compressed overdrive (D word pedal)
Boost
Four step phaser/or
Chorus
Autowah
Delay
Volume pedal

So I'm thinking about going down the bypass looper route..... But I'm not sure if I'm just spending money for the sake of it. At the moment all of the above aren't fixed onto a board. And that agitates me. I don't gig at the moment, and I'm not even in a band.

Personally speaking I've never been audibly offended by a pedal that isn't true bypass. I used to honk a huge pedal board around. And that only went down once at a gig. But I did do a lot of tap dancing with that stupid set up.

So the bypass looper is a potential safety net if I start to play live again. I also offers the option to switch off multiple pedals at once. The Twah has a slightly dicky switch, as does the Danelectro. So I'd rather rely on a sturdy footswitch than those in a live situation.

I was just after everyones thoughts on them really? Anybody made the leap, and if so was it worth it? Logically it makes sense to me.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've been using a gigrig quartermaster for several months. Very happy with it and when the loops are all off, you are going straight to the amp. Definitely sounds better than the signal going through each pedal in the "traditional" way

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I have a Moen GEC-9, which is on my main (home) board.

It's very usefull if you want to go from a (EG) clean, delayed and chorused tone to a heavily driven, phased tone in one step. Also it does the amp channel switching for me. I had (the board is currebtly stripped) the dealys in the amps loop, but drive/chorus/phase/flang into the front of the amp.

Personally I had my wah and boosts outside of the switcher.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    I'd go for Gigrig if you've got the money or something from these guys: http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/ - I used their Midi 8 way looper (couldn't afford the Gigrig midi 8!)

I hate tap dancing so always try and inrorporate some kind of switching to reduce it.  
  • dougjonezdougjonez Frets: 2
    well, what - specifically are you looking to get out of it? (I have assumptions, but it's best to check and it might be food for consideration)

What are you looking to get out of it?
    Programmability? (ie the device acts as a switching matrix of sorts taking care of multiple switch states with a single button press)
    selection of bypass type (true, buffered, etc)? (and does this have to individually selectable?)
    do you need the effects order to be swappable?

as for safety (I always pref to have a total bypass and mute with a complex system...or at least a secondary cable at the ready...and I mean at the ready, not in a case or under the mixing console, not even with a velcro loop keeper on it, for a quick change)
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    I used a bright onion 6 way looper for a number of years. 

It was great and if i had a bigger pedaltrain i would have kept it, however pedal real estate was needed! 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Thanks guys. Well I don't necessarily need a fully programmable unit. And again pedal board real estate is an issue. Just more the ability to be able to switch of multiple pedals at once. Say a chorus, delayed clean sound. Half tempted to buy two and then split the chain clean and dirty. I dont use any delay or modulation on a lead sound. Hmm will hunt around, the bright onion is the sort of thing im looking at. :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    I bought two Bright Onion mini loops a while back, having two minis takes up less space and enabled me to have a volume pedal always on between the loops.  All my dirt in one loop, mod and delay in t'other.  Go from modulated, delayed clean to dirty as you like in one stomp.
  • stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 41
    +1 for the Moen GEC9, it's reasonably priced and is a piece of cake to program. It has certainly saved me tap dancing! I also have it setup with some pedals in front of the amp, some in the loop and it's also channel switching 2 channels and a boost on my amp too- works a treat!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@stefjudd nice set-up fella, way neater than mine.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3692
    There are a couple of decent Joyo switcher/looper models. There are 4 loop (PXL4), 8 loop (PXL8), 8 loop with amp switching (PXL Pro) and 8 loop with amp and MIDI switching (PXL Live). Here's a demo video of the PXL Pro:

• stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 41
    mike_l said:

@stefjudd nice set-up fella, way neater than mine.

Thanks! That photo was taken a while back- it's not quite as neat now as I have managed to cram on another couple of pedals!...
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Thanks guys, I don't think I'm going to down the programmable route. More to do with the size tbh