Producers.

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Jimmy Page.  Without his brilliance as a producer, Led Zeppelin records wouldn’t have sounded half as good as they did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    edited May 2021
    Reverend said:
    Rick Rubin ahd done some incredible records. 
    There's a moment in the making of RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magic that perfectly demonstrated the value of a good producer to me.

Flea was trying to figure out what worked best for the chorus of Give It Away.  Rick Rubin steps in, makes a quick suggestion and it instantly turns into the part we know.

From 4:23

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Reverend said:
    Martin Birch. On so many perfect records. 

Oddly, Mutt Lange is a big no for me. Took a killer heavy metal band from Sheffield and turned them into a slick but meh pop band. 

That's kind of my point though I guess, a brilliant producer can take a band like that and make them palatable to teenage girls stacking shelfs in Tescos who normally listen to pop music. The records can then sit on the radio alongside the Jacksons and other mainstream artist. Def Leppard wanted that, the label wanted that, Mutt Lange was a producer who could make that happen with the 2nd album he produced and the third just went mental sales wise and dominated US radio for a while and even Animal and Women got played on radio 1 here at the time. Mike Shipley did a fantastic job mixing too. 

Oddly enough generally when a band picks a certain producer it's because they want to change direction and evolve, U2 picked Eno for that very reason, Madonna picked Stuart Price for COADF. 

Other artist pick producers that will add something but stay on the straight and narrow .. Waters picking Ezrin for example for The Wall. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 581
    Terry Date
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Some good calls here. Birch. Mutt. Padgham. 

You have to say Quincey Jones. 

Teo Macero who did so many classic Columbia jazz albums. 

Rudy van Gelder ditto. Incredible story. Google it. 
    Joe Boyd, almost as much for his talents as an A+R man 

Trevor Horn.

Bob Rock. Bruce Fairbairn- defined the sound of late 80s/ early 90s hard rock between them.  
  • Alan Moulder. Don’t know much about him but he produced a large amount of the indie albums I was listening to in the early 90’s. Ride’s Going Blank Again for example, a superb sounding record. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:
    Mitchell Froom has done some of my favourite-sounding albums too - including the first three Crowded House albums, although ironically the one I like best is Together Alone, produced by Youth... who apparently (from accounts of the sessions) barely seemed to know what he was doing!
    I've never quite got used to the idea of Mitchell Froom as a producer, to me he'll always be the bloke who joined Ronnie Montrose's band Gamma in 1982 - and drowned Gamma 3 in synthesizers.
    Alan Tarney
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Late 80's/90's I was on a huge cd buying splurge and I would buy from bands I'd not heard of purely by reading the booklet and who'd produced it. I'd follow guys like Froom, George Drakoulias, Don Gehmen, Rick Rubin, Malcolm Burn, T-Bone Burnett, Brendan O'Brien etc. I'd then pickup on some of the session players on these records and follow those too. Like David Grissom, Mike Landau, Kenny Aronoff. I found some great new to me music that way. Discs were so cheap back then and I'd shop at the used record shops in Soho and around there picking up the ex promo and radio discs for a few quid. Happy days. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I'm just going to add a couple not mentioned so far,

Dave Jerdan, responsible for the first Jane's Addiction, and more importantly first couple of Alice in Chains.
    He got a bit disillusioned after spending a long time working on an album for a band called Violets Demise, which was finished but not released by the record company, a couple of tracks exist online, and it is an interesting example of a band that could have been massive, Oni Logan and Rowan Robertson, and a weird mix of AIC / Cult psychedelia.

Andy Wallace, for his early production of Walk this Way, and a few things like White Zombie and Jeff Buckley, before seeming to give up on production and concentrate on mixing, almost everything put out since the 90's, seriously.
    Nevermind and a go on Chinese Democracy are definite highlights.
    Magic ears there. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Bob Ezrin.   He co-wrote Detroit Rock City, a very fine rock song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited May 2021
    Joe Baresi - Clutch, QOTSA, Kyuss, Tool
    Robert John Lange - Great work on Hysteria by Def Leppard 
    Robert Rich - Ambient/new age producer 
    Bob Rock - A divisive figure, but he did a great job on the Black Album. Also The Cult's Sonic Temple.
    Chris Kimsey - Night time by Killing Joke. Always loved the atmosphere on that record. 
    Eddie Kramer - Hendrix, Zeppelin.... 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    andy_k said:
    <snip>

Andy Wallace, for his early production of Walk this Way, and a few things like White Zombie and Jeff Buckley, before seeming to give up on production and concentrate on mixing, almost everything put out since the 90's, seriously.
    Nevermind and a go on Chinese Democracy are definite highlights.
    Magic ears there. 
    Grace is the fine album it is because of Andy Wallace. The 20th anniversary edition of Grace includes a 20 minute DVD documentary of how Grace was made. Very interesting in how he set things up to make life easy for the artist. It worked. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    I'd say Martin Hannett, responsible for the sound of Joy Division (& many others) at Factory Records through the late 70's-early 80's.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Chris Goss - for Kyuss and QOTSA. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    There were just 2 albums I bought that really wowed me for production - Peter Gabriel So and Kate Bush Hounds of love. I thought that they both sounded AMAZING on release. KB seems less perfect to me now on account of programmed drums, but still a great album.

I hated the production of Soundgarden's Superunknown when I bought it. Could have sounded 200% better to me.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    edited May 2021
    Phil Spector, despite his erm, 'peculiarities'.
    Also Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys & the man that made me buy a Tom Jones record o  Ethan Johns.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I'd say Martin Hannett, responsible for the sound of Joy Division (& many others) at Factory Records through the late 70's-early 80's.

Gotta say I'm completely the other way with Hannett, I think he was a talentless chancer who ruined some records that could have been great. Listen to any Joy Division bootleg and it's obvious they were a massively powerful live band. The album just sounds really gutless. I guess he gave it an atmosphere but it could have been so much better.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Dave Fridmann. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Fridmann#As_producer

Some seriously good albums in there.