Gibson hunting in London - where’s good?

What's Hot
TrudeTrude Frets: 914
A friend of mine is heading into London on Weds and has around £1500 to drop on a used Gibson acoustic. He’s interested in sunburst LG2/3 but I’ve suggested he tries a few other models to see if anything jumps out at him. 

Any suggestions for good shops he should visit?
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Used Gibson acoustics don't usually sit around in shops. Best he call ahead to Hanks, Wunjo, Hobgoblin, C Chandlers and see if they have anything like that in stock. If he is driving and buying new then to consider going South to Guitar Village. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Used Gibson acoustics don't usually sit around in shops. Best he call ahead to Hanks, Wunjo, Hobgoblin, C Chandlers and see if they have anything like that in stock. If he is driving and buying new then to consider going South to Guitar Village. 
    Thanks, yeah, I think GV would be worth a visit.  We're both down Portsmouth way anyway, so it's nearer.  He just happens to be heading into London for a day's anniversary celebration and his wife actually suggested they do some guitar shopping whilst they're in town!  Clearly she's a keeper!

Trading feedback here
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    I’m sure this one is in the classifieds, a bit over budget but may be worth seeing if a deal can be done. In the Liverpool are though so may be a non starter 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35820718-gibson-lg-1-1952-sunburst
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 704
    edited May 2021
    CMW335 said:
    I’m sure this one is in the classifieds, a bit over budget but may be worth seeing if a deal can be done. In the Liverpool are though so may be a non starter 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35820718-gibson-lg-1-1952-sunburst
    Yeah, I think that one is lovely and have seen the FS thread here, but yes - the location is the main problem. If it was closer I'd be telling him to stretch the budget a bit!

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TDubs said:
    Thanks! Not sure why it's not on their main website but I'll suggest he swings by. Maybe they'd take an offer on it...

Trading feedback here
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Guitar Classics in Wandsworth might be worth a look if he's open.  The guy who runs it is a lovely guy.  I'm not sure if he is open though.  His website is always out of date.  There is a notice on there from 12th September last year saying that he was closed for a short break until 25th September.  You could give him a call to see if he's open and what he has got.

Glenn’s Guitars always have a good selection of acoustics but you’ll need to arrange an appointment and he’s based in north London.

https://www.glennsguitars.com/gibson/
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    @TDubs said:
    Glenn’s Guitars always have a good selection of acoustics but you’ll need to arrange an appointment and he’s based in north London.

Cool! never knew about this dealer. Roughly where in N London?
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    How Nevada music these days? 
    @TDubs said:

Enfield, so technically more north east London. Best to get in touch with Glenn if you want to visit.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    Having been to GV lately (I live 5 minutes up the road) and being on the lookout for a used Gibson in the same price range I don't think £1500 will get your friend too far, unfortunately.
    He's just bought a sunburst J45 Studio Walnut brand new for £1450, so all good! It's a lovely thing, and £150 cheaper than the one they have in GV :)

Trading feedback here
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    How Nevada music these days? 
    Long gone. Went bankrupt, assets acquired by PMT.
  • @TDubs said:

Second this rec of Glenn's guitars. I doubt there is anyone who knows more about Gibsons than Glenn in London. He's not high pressure either although you have to make an appointment.