Awful songs that somehow made it.

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    The one and only - chesney hawkes
    Noooo! The Chez and the Kersh are great!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I looked up the UK Charts when I turned 14 (which wasn't that long ago) and had to go down to no 40 until I found a song I actually remember/recognise. Not a very good song, but listenable, it was not a good time for music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I looked up the UK Charts when I turned 14 (which wasn't that long ago) and had to go down to no 40 until I found a song I actually remember/recognise. Not a very good song, but listenable, it was not a good time for music.
    I did a similar exercise with a chart from 1977 or 1978 not long ago and I remembered all but two or three of them.  Which isn't to say that was necessarily a great time for music - although I think it was pretty good - it just shows how into the charts I was at that time (and never again since, really).
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    In moments of boredom/laziness I sometimes watch Now70s on Sky. They don't have the widest or most extensive selection but I am amazed that I can hear something I've not heard for decades and remember the words. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Justbdid then same for my 14th birthday.  Reet Petite, living on a prayer,  final countdown, over the hills and far away, jack your body, caravan of love,and more. 
    Pretty memorable selection. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Reverend said:
    Justbdid then same for my 14th birthday.  Reet Petite, living on a prayer,  final countdown, over the hills and far away, jack your body, caravan of love,and more. 
    Having been born a week before Christmas the charts are always pretty dire for any of my birthdays. I know it was Boney M at number 1 on my 14th. So, in terms of this Discussion ‘any songs in the chart on my birthdays’ would pretty much cover it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Reverend said:
    Having been born a week before Christmas the charts are always pretty dire for any of my birthdays. I know it was Boney M at number 1 on my 14th. So, in terms of this Discussion ‘any songs in the chart on my birthdays’ would pretty much cover it. 
    It's always rankled with me that I was born in 1964, probably the height of The Beatles' chart-bothering, but Cilla Black was number 1 on my birth date.

But I've just looked up the list of number 1s for 1964.  A week later and it would have been Roy Orbison, a month earlier it was Juliet by The Four Pennies (just listened to it - dear God, an awful song that somehow made it...), so maybe I didn't do too badly with Cilla after all.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    Just checked the Top 5 on my 14th birthday.  1: Everything I Own - Ken Boothe.  2:  Far Far Away - Slade.  3: Gonna Make You A Star - David Essex.  4: All Of Me Loves All Of You - Bay City Rollers.  5: Killer Queen - Queen.  So 3 out of 5 ain't bad.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    George Ezra - Budapest 
  • Philly_Q said:
    It's always rankled with me that I was born in 1964, probably the height of The Beatles' chart-bothering, but Cilla Black was number 1 on my birth date.

But I've just looked up the list of number 1s for 1964.  A week later and it would have been Roy Orbison, a month earlier it was Juliet by The Four Pennies (just listened to it - dear God, an awful song that somehow made it...), so maybe I didn't do too badly with Cilla after all.
    @Philly_Q It's unfortunate that you got "You're My World" - it could have been "Anyone Who Had a Heart", which is a killer song and ranks up right up alongside Lennon & McCartney.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7165
    Speaking of Horses, I still wonder how Horse With No Name by America even made it to the radio DJs' turntables in 1971 or at any time thereafter.
  • I had pretty much forgotten Lena Zavaroni, she's slightly mixed up with Bonnie Langford in my head. I did read her Wikipedia page afterwards which was a bit sobering. 
    The Bicycle Song (?) I had thought was Mungo Jerry so I learned something new. 

Not an awful record, IMHO, but Nut Rocker by B Bumble and the Stingers needs an airing.
    I think I remember Lena zavaroni starting on opportunity knocks ,which spawned some frightful songs into the charts (Bernie flint)  I remember bonnie Langford being in the just William series .
    lena zavaronis is a sad sad story . 
  • Those two starship songs are freakin great ,and hotel California :)
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited September 2021
    Two Little Boys  ...........................................(too soon?)

The Wombling Song

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • I had pretty much forgotten Lena Zavaroni, she's slightly mixed up with Bonnie Langford in my head. I did read her Wikipedia page afterwards which was a bit sobering. 
    The Bicycle Song (?) I had thought was Mungo Jerry so I learned something new. 

Not an awful record, IMHO, but Nut Rocker by B Bumble and the Stingers needs an airing.
    I think I remember Lena zavaroni starting on opportunity knocks ,which spawned some frightful songs into the charts (Bernie flint)  I remember bonnie Langford being in the just William series .
    lena zavaronis is a sad sad story . 
    I couldn't remember much about Berni Flint so looked him up on wikipedia. I liked this bit...

Berni or “Flinty” as he is affectionately known is now an avid golfer he is much better than his nephew Darren “Daz” McDowell who now chops it around off 12.
  • The early 90s eg 90 to 94 it was still possible to get a few regular bands on top of the pops 
      Including megadeth ,maiden, Bon jovi , Aerosmith , Rolling Stones ,guns n roses, etc  so there was still a hint of diversity  ,even as late as 97 - 2000 .

in the mid 2010s though when in a cafe on a Sunday afternoon /early evening. The chart show would be a mix of awful stuff  lots of it weird auto tuned singing , what is now called R&B (But bears no resemblance to what we originally called R&B) and stuff that sounds like someone has gone mad with Logic Pro loops 
    Philly_Q said:

@Philly_Q It's unfortunate that you got "You're My World" - it could have been "Anyone Who Had a Heart", which is a killer song and ranks up right up alongside Lennon & McCartney.

I know I'm a Philistine but I've always been fairly impervious to the magic of Bacharach & David... I just have to deal with the fact it was Cilla, regardless of the song!
  • The early 90s eg 90 to 94 it was still possible to get a few regular bands on top of the pops 
      Including megadeth ,maiden, Bon jovi , Aerosmith , Rolling Stones ,guns n roses, etc  so there was still a hint of diversity  ,even as late as 97 - 2000 .

in the mid 2010s though when in a cafe on a Sunday afternoon /early evening. The chart show would be a mix of awful stuff  lots of it weird auto tuned singing , what is now called R&B (But bears no resemblance to what we originally called R&B) and stuff that sounds like someone has gone mad with Logic Pro loops 
    When my son was doing community radio a few years ago I would listen in a supportive dad manner and I have watched some of those Rick Beato chart run downs ( including the tik tok one he did the other day). So I'm hardly paying a lot of attention to the charts these days but it does seem to be music drawn from a very narrow band. 
    Also a few years ago but I remember that clip of Frankie Boyle talking to Fearne Cotton and saying something like 'oh Fearne you have the great job of presenting the chart show on Radio 1, just a pity that you weren't doing it twenty years ago the last time when anybody gave a shit.' 
  • At the Grammy awards, the winner of the best song category is announced and a committee comes on stage to accept it.