SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Musicman USA SUB bass - upgraded - with BETTER PICTURES

RevMattRevMatt Frets: 829
edited June 2021 in Basses £
SOLD

Decided to sell my USA made Musicman SUB bass as I'm not really playing bass at present.

This is one of the early noughties models which were proper USA built guitars before the cheaper Far East Sub range was introduced. Basically these models had a few cost saving features - no body contouring, chequerplate scratchplate, non-lacquered textured finish etc.

So you get the iconic Musicman styling plus USA build quality and prestige, but without the full fat price tag.

However, with this bass you also get a little bit extra... It's been significantly modified to take it even closer to the full fat US models.

The guitar body has been refinished and lacquered - so no rough textures surface. The scratchplate has been replaced with one more reminiscent of the normal US models. The neck has been lacquered to give a smooth finish. It also had an £80 pro set up last September so plays perfectly/

So, you get a fully fettled and sorted US Musicman with some quality mods to get it closer to the iconic Stingray.

Thanks to all the work that's been done on this bass, it's in virtually mint condition apart from a few tiny marks here and there. There are really just 2 things to note:
1) where the neck has been re-finished / lacquered you can feel a feint line along the edge of the fingerboard where the lacquered edge meets the non-lacquered f'board
2) on the headstock an area has been left un-refinished so as to not lose the MM decals and label/serial no. - this leaves a slightly sunk area / line around the decals / label
Note - it will come with standard chrome strap buttons fitted, not the black ones pictured.

Price: £600 (collected from Nottingham or posted at cost)
There is no case with this, but I have lots of good packaging so can ensure it's well protected.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited July 2021
    GLWTS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Sterling or Stingray? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 829
    @TimmyO - not being a MM expert (or particularly a bass player for that matter) I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were essentially based on the Stingray, with the single humbucker and the 3x controls mounted on the crescent plate.

@mendy - Monday, I promise :) 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The US-made S.U.B. bass guitar is based on the 2-band EQ Stingray, including the nut width. (The EBMM Sterling Bass model had a Jazz Bass width nut.

I cannot recall whether the EQ is the vintage Bandaxall type or the modern cut/boost type with a centre detent.
    Be seeing you.
    RevMatt said:
    @TimmyO - not being a MM expert (or particularly a bass player for that matter) I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were essentially based on the Stingray, with the single humbucker and the 3x controls mounted on the crescent plate.

They did both - I had the Sterling one and foolishly sold it. The Sterling one had active 3 band eq so if yours has 2 band it’s the Stingray 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    RevMatt said:

They did both - I had the Sterling one and foolishly sold it. The Sterling one had active 3 band eq so if yours has 2 band it’s the Stingray 
    In a bizarre coincidence Facebook memories showed me my NBD pics from 7 years ago today when I got it! 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited May 2021
    Updated with pictures - will take some better ones and add them tomorrow.

EDIT - better pictures added @mendy ;
    edited June 2021
    I've had 3 inquiries about trades on this so far, so will update here for all...

Yes, trades may be possible - either part trades with cash in either direction, or straight swaps... I'm open to suggestions.

Things I could be interested in (although I am quite fussy, so please don't be offended if I decline) include:
    - small guitars (compact / travel acoustic)
    - something superstratty with a Floyd Rose