Synth advice please

What's Hot
Hi all,

As a complete newb to the world of synths, I recently got a Komplete Kontrol A25 which is great and really versatile software synth, does most of I want in terms of recording in Reaper, however......I now need a hard synth, the madness has begun.

I'm leaning towards a Behringer Pro 1 as mostly interested in soundscapes and Ozrics or the Orb type sounds, building background etc, not acid house!

So the question is that I will need a keyboard for a Pro 1 but is it totally necessary or will it be easy to use the A25?

Or........what else should I be looking at with say a £700 budget?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    I have a cobalt 8 and it’s excellent. The deepmind12 also looks great. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3596
    edited May 2021
    Deepmind 12, Korg prologue 16.. for the analog stuff.

or a couple of the cheaper Yamaha reface units - the CS.

We have an Arturia microfreak in the band which can do a lot. 

Perhaps scope to get two or three for £700

but... today, the iPad and a few of the synth apps could be best use of money.. Korg got a lot of their classics synths emulated and apps like Korg gadget are packed with cool stuff.  The free Synth One is pretty cool.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

This.
  • Deepmind 12, Korg prologue 16.. for the analog stuff.

or a couple of the cheaper Yamaha reface units - the CS.

We have an Arturia microfreak in the band which can do a lot. 

but... today, the iPad and a few of the synth apps could be best use of money.. Korg got a lot of their classics synths emulated and apps like Korg gadget are packed with cool stuff.  The free Synth One is pretty cool.

I'd second Synth One, The Moog simulation apps are pretty good too and are sometimes on offer/free if you want some cheap classic analogue sounds.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Thanks, I guess the issue is the sheer amount of synths available, I was looking for a "one synth to do it all" as in keys with twiddly knobs on one unit but now spoilt for choice.

I guess the Pro 1 is the 80's classic sounds that I've always aspired to but no keys. Deepmind looks really good too.

More hours googling and reading internet opinions required!!

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    If you want Ozrics look out for a used Supernova. The Pro1 copy will get you waterfalls and such like, I think Ed has one now and retired his originals. His main synth for years was a D50. In one of his recent home studio videos he was using a Roland System 1, with the green lights. Seaweed squeezed a lot out of a JP8000. If you don't mind a bit of menu diving, perhaps a Korg Prophecy.

If you've got big money then only an OSCar or a SYNTHI will do. Or VST's to that effect.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Tone71 said:
    Thanks, I guess the issue is the sheer amount of synths available, I was looking for a "one synth to do it all" as in keys with twiddly knobs on one unit but now spoilt for choice.

I guess the Pro 1 is the 80's classic sounds that I've always aspired to but no keys. Deepmind looks really good too.

More hours googling and reading internet opinions required!!

Doing it all at the price point is difficult, but I've got a Cobalt 8 and it's really great.
    Oooooohhh short trip to the coast today and came home with a Deepmind 12 :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    :)
    Awesome!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    deep mind is great - I have one.   Cobalt would have been the other option - not analogue but very very nice.   Had I not had an argon 8, Id have had a cobalt.  I have a virus and a peak as well in module form, and a fantom as a synth so really couldnt  justify another subtractive synth.  I am considering a sequential of some sort (OB6, PO6, P5 ref v) just to  spoil myself in a core sound though.

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    How are you enjoying the Deepmind 12 so far @Tone71 , I'm thinking of getting one so would welcome any feedback you have...
    Benm39 said:
    How are you enjoying the Deepmind 12 so far @Tone71 , I'm thinking of getting one so would welcome any feedback you have...
    The Deepmind is simply superb, soundscapes are huge and it is more than capable of making any sounds and I've only just scratched the surface with it but it is phenomenal.

I'm not a synth obsessive but for me it ticks every box , it is a far, far better synth than I am a musician that's for sure.

This is a quick recording I did a few weeks ago........

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    Benm39 said:
    depends what you want.  Its a pad and atmospheric monster.   its not really a bass or lead synth - I mean it can do that but there are better synths for that.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    Tell me about the arp function ease at gigs.... with a good arp and nice pads on quick recall, I only need a cheaper piano/epiano as my main keyboard.  We have a microfreak at the moment.
    Tell me about the arp function ease at gigs.... with a good arp and nice pads on quick recall, I only need a cheaper piano/epiano as my main keyboard.  We have a microfreak at the moment.
    I've actually yet to get that deep into it yet, life's getting in the way! Taken it to the studio a couple of times but it's hard to get it to fit in with a rock band situation, I'll probably just use it for solo projects, atmospheric background ambience and lo-fi for now until I've had a chance to spend good quality time with the different functions.