John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
edited July 2021 in Guitar
Whatever you think of JM you can’t deny his massive positive influence on current guitar music. I happen to think he’s one of the most talented guitarist songwriters on the scene, last gig I saw pre COVID too.

Within hours of releasing the first few tracks off his upcoming 80s influenced album Sob Rock, the lead single Last Train Home has multiple full length guitar lesson and cover videos on YouTube. Probably more lessons than some classic songs from yesteryear.

Then you’ve got the Mary Spender reaction video off the back of the version she wrote/ extrapolated following a snippet of the song released a few months ago, which JM had responded too. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    edited June 2021
    I enjoy Mayer, not a massive fan but do enjoy his music and his playing is exceptional. I’ve listened to this song at least 20 times today, think it’s brilliant. I especially like the obvious Clapton influence on it, the song wouldn’t be out of place on Behind The Sun. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited June 2021
    Kylef said:
    I enjoy Mayer, not a massive fan but do enjoy his music and his playing is exceptional. I’ve listened to this song at least 20 times today, think it’s brilliant. I especially like the obvious Clapton influence on it, the song would be out of place on Behind The Sun. 
    Or “August”. Agree it’s a good song. In the video he even seems to reference the Clapton floating hand vibrato technique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Big , big Mayer fan here but that sounds like a Clapton B side from the mid 80s.  Love the guitar sound but think the song is weak 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I like it, love the 80s vibe, and yes can definitely hear Behind the Sun in it.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I agree, it's great to see a guitarist being so popular, but I can't fathom why. The song is very bland and instantly forgettable.

Clearly not for me, but I'm glad he is inspiring others.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    It's a small thing, but I find "Sob Rock" a very strange title.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited June 2021
    I've a lot of respect for him, as long as I don't really have to listen to him unfortunately - I actually think that could be a song I would really enjoy if it wasn't dressed in Toto Africa synths and the cheesy 80s production. Not my thing at all though with that style as the backing
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    It's a small thing, but I find "Sob Rock" a very strange title.
    Think that’s the point! The whole vibe is slightly tongue in cheek 80s and the video references Claptons video for Forever Man. Mabye some upbeat 80s soft rock is what we all need right now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    Whatever you think of JM you can’t deny his massive positive influence on current guitar music. I happen to think he’s one of the most talented guitarist songwriters on the scene, last gig I saw pre COVID too.

I can and I do.

I can honestly say I've never heard him mentioned outside of nerdy blues obsessed guitarists.

I know he's sold a lot of records but I assume that must be in the US.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:

I can honestly say I've never heard him mentioned outside of nerdy blues obsessed guitarists.

You haven’t investigated very far then, or attended any of his gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    edited June 2021
    That video was quite dull and unremarkable.
    I mean the song, not just the video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    As I said, “whatever you think of him” it’s hard to deny his influence on guitar music. I’ve just stopped counting at 12 guitar lesson/tutorial videos uploaded to YouTube in the last 24hours for that new song, including Justin Sandercoe. That’s not even counting the comment videos, covers, piano lessons etc etc.

Its not for everyone but if you dig deeper he’s a monster player. I guess you need to be social media and YouTube connected to fully appreciate this.

Have a listen to Born and Raised or Paradise Valley for a more rootsy introduction to his stuff.
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 882
    edited June 2021
    I think this is dreadful.

I like slow dancing, but what the hell is this, awful video as well

The only way it could get worse. if had Phil Collins on drums.

What is with this 80s crap soft rock thing 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    TINMAN82 said:
     In the video he even seems to reference the Clapton floating hand vibrato technique.
    Phew. I thought I’d gone too far into guitar-geekery by noticing that. Glad I’m not alone ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Richard Marx plays the hits of Toto...

This kind of '80s sound was OK at the time - we'd somehow forgotten the '70s and temporarily didn't know any better - but it's clearly dreadful in retrospect.  I don't know why anyone would want to go back and recreate it.

But hey, if you like it, I'm not trying to persuade you not to.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:

No I haven't and that's the point.

He's mentioned every ten minutes on guitar related YouTube channels but I've never heard his name mentioned by anyone who doesn't play guitar.

I know many people who own bonamassa and Vai albums for example.

I think there is this myth that he's a big star and he's just not.
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:

He's mentioned every ten minutes on guitar related YouTube channels but I've never heard his name mentioned by anyone who doesn't play guitar.

16 million album sales apparently

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    I thought this track was weaker than the previous singles, hopefully there are some gems among the rest of the album tracks.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Bigger in the US for sure, but he still manages to sell out the O2 Arena every-time he visits the UK, that’s a lot of nerds! 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    It feels a bit weird the way it just bolts Maren Morris on right at the end. Should have introduced her around the half way mark at least?