John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126

I think there is this myth that he's a big star and he's just not.
    He's an internationally successful mainstream recording artist and full on A-list celebrity. It's entirely possible that that has passed you and your social circle by, and why not indeed. But that doesn't make it a myth, any more than me having never seen an episode of Mrs Browns Boys means that doesn't exist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Lewy said:
    It feels a bit weird the way it just bolts Maren Morris on right at the end. Should have introduced her around the half way mark at least?
    Is that who it is?  I was wondering why Emily Atack was in a John Mayer video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    edited June 2021
    How. Can any man let alone a guitarist like this. The man has slept with every woman you have ever lusted after from a far. And pretty much all of them report  him as a brain spazszing lover. Played with all the living Greats who all say John has it in Spades Rocks up with a PRS guitar and converts hardcore Dead Heads to his way.. Rolls out chirpy tunes when needed. If their was a god in heaven. There would be a plague on his house just for being the over talented Sob that’s J Mayer Lol lol
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited June 2021
    dindude said:

I can honestly say I've never heard him mentioned outside of nerdy blues obsessed guitarists.

You haven’t investigated very far then, or attended any of his gigs.

No I haven't and that's the point.

He's mentioned every ten minutes on guitar related YouTube channels but I've never heard his name mentioned by anyone who doesn't play guitar.

I know many people who own bonamassa and Vai albums for example.

Bigger in the US for sure, but he still manages to sell out the O2 Arena every-time he visits the UK, that’s a lot of nerds! 
    He does. And the row I was seated in was full of swooning 20 something girls, definitely not guitar nerds! 

TINMAN82 said:
    Whatever you think of JM you can’t deny his massive positive influence on current guitar music. I happen to think he’s one of the most talented guitarist songwriters on the scene, last gig I saw pre COVID too.

I can and I do.

I can honestly say I've never heard him mentioned outside of nerdy blues obsessed guitarists.

I know he's sold a lot of records but I assume that must be in the US.

No one really “sells a lot of records” anymore. There are other metrics for music popularity nowadays.

He’s not someone I’d expect to appeal to most of the clientele here, just a good example of mainstream popular guitar based music happening now, rather than decades ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited June 2021
    Wonder if that pink Silver Sky will be a limited edition. That’d be a clown show. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Just checking on the official chart company he hasn't had a single track in the UK top 40 except a guest appearance with fallout boy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Just checking on the official chart company he hasn't had a single track in the UK top 40 except a guest appearance with fallout boy.
    I’m no fan of Mayer but I think that says more about the narrow scope of the charts than the popularity/success of the guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Yep, you can't be considered a star if you only have success in the US and fail to break the UK lol ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Greg Philingaines on keys - who played with EC in the 80s and EC’s chorused 80s Strat sound. Highly derivative - but nice enough. 

I’m glad there’s a young(er) lead player out there - but I wouldn’t pay money to listen to him. He just doesn’t have that ‘hairs on the back of my arms’ thing for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited June 2021
    I love it me like, and I want a pink Silver Sky too. Great song, excellent pastiche vid and some tasty playing, what's not to like.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    I don’t know much of his stuff but thought Gravity was a lovely song. This, though, to my ears, is absolute shite with nothing to redeem it. Different strikes for different folks and all that though, eh.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Quite liked the two tracks I heard. As for the utterly ridiculous comments about Mayer being popular only with blues guitar playing types...keep on listening to the jolly old hit parade on your wireless. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I really like it!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Just had to watch the Forever Man video lol
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    It’s fine as a song.

But those 80’s synths are horrifying
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Greg Philingaines on keys - who played with EC in the 80s and EC’s chorused 80s Strat sound. Highly derivative - but nice enough. 

I’m glad there’s a young(er) lead player out there - but I wouldn’t pay money to listen to him. He just doesn’t have that ‘hairs on the back of my arms’ thing for me.
    Also the percussionist from Toto, you know, what’s his name......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    I liked everything about that single, the Mike and the mechanics/Toto vibe, the Clapton 80's era guitars, the hooks, and i have always loved a pink guitar.
    Then again the 80's was my decade, so the pull is strong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2330
    I like Mayer he's a clever guy. Great catchy track, it is what it is...a simple pop song. He's enjoying himself, having fun, making music and raking in the cash. At his level you can do exactly what you want. Nice to see him hand Miss Youtube her ample ass too, her version was over thought , overly dramatic and cringeworthy much like most her songs. In comes Mayer with a simple catchy hook laden track and blew her away. That's why she's sat on Youtube making music at home for the over 40's who thinks she's pretty and Mayer is out there filling arenas and shifting product. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Strat54 said:
    I like Mayer he's a clever guy. Great catchy track, it is what it is...a simple pop song. He's enjoying himself, having fun, making music and raking in the cash. At his level you can do exactly what you want. Nice to see him hand Miss Youtube her ample ass too, her version was over thought , overly dramatic and cringeworthy much like most her songs. In comes Mayer with a simple catchy hook laden track and blew her away. That's why she's sat on Youtube making music at home for the over 40's who thinks she's pretty and Mayer is out there filling arenas and shifting product. 
    Don’t get me started on Spender, shameless self promotion for per non-talent - I wouldn’t mind if she kept herself to herself and stopped popping up like a bad smell.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Whatever you think of JM you can’t deny his massive positive influence on current guitar music. I happen to think he’s one of the most talented guitarist songwriters on the scene, last gig I saw pre COVID too.

You haven’t investigated very far then, or attended any of his gigs.

No I haven't and that's the point.

He's mentioned every ten minutes on guitar related YouTube channels but I've never heard his name mentioned by anyone who doesn't play guitar.

I know many people who own bonamassa and Vai albums for example.

Unlike Vai and Bonamassa, his fanbase is not just (mostly old) male guitarists

Apparently Mayer is the 74th most famous pop artist
    The most famous pop music artists in America | Entertainment | YouGov Ratings

the only other guitarists in the top 100 are Prince and Ed Sheeran
    Therefore in this survey he is currently the most famous living electric guitarist 

If you play with the selections on demographic, he seems to be just as famous amongst women and younger age groups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom