Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Trent Guitars - From the Workshop

What's Hot
TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1717
edited June 2021 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Hey guys! Thank you so much for the incredible warm welcome on the thread in the main section of the forum. After chatting with a few of you I figured you might enjoy some behind the scenes content!

As I get up to speed making some demo models I figured you’d enjoy seeing them come together, these images are from the past couple weeks just to give you a little insight.

This week started off with some experimenting.. a huge part of the positive feedback I’ve been getting has been the lower environmental impact of the guitars. So in an attempt to see if that is something I could to even further on I went into my local reclamation yard. I’m not looking for a rustic look, but under the hood I was interested if I could use non virgin timber for the bodies. Where I live there is abundance of Victorian houses that used locally grown cedar or pine for their floor beam substructure - so that was my search. I want to maintain how light my poplar bodies are, and both of these species offer that - cedar even more so. Before I knew it I found a lovely 6x4 beam with that instantly recognisable aromatic cedar smell. I chucked it in the van and headed back to the workshop, before long I had the beam sAwn down, then to thickness on the panel Saw and carefully planed into two usable blanks. The benefit of having a workshop full of machines already is not lost on me! I got one of the blanks machined up and rough sanded and that’s where I’ve left it for now. It definitely makes a great body but it remains to be seen how I will like the paint finish, given it has a much more open grain structure than Poplar. I think for now Poplar remains the right choice as overall it is relatively sustainable - this is just something to consider for future. It also is incredibly simple to get in consistent and large quantities - no nail hole dodging or rec yard haggling required.

The rest of this week has been necks, the process of cutting out the blanks, routing to shape and getting the truss rod cavity in.

The fretboards are made from a large piece of Bolivian rosewood (pau ferro) that I have selected for grain direction and colour. It’s then sawn up into about 20 fretboards - which is great as for me consistency is really huge. 

The boards are then laminated to the blanks, left to cure overnight and then the frets are pressed in evenly with carefully applied titebond to get a real snug fit in the slot. The water in the titebond not only allows the slot to swell a hair and tighten into the fret but also acts as a really solid way of coupling the fret to the board - but given that metal isn’t pourous like wood it’s simple enough to lose its bond when heated to be removed. 

Fret ends are then dressed quickly so I don’t cut my hands to shreds working on it but will receive a full redress and polish at the levelling stage. The way I carve my necks is with a special router bit, this means all my necks come out the same. When I was gearing up to make guitars that was the one part of the process that I was determined to be consistent as you can’t have a guy saying how great the neck is in one review for it to then being a hair off in another. I used a 5mm packer taped to the heel of the neck to give that taper, I’m aiming for 21 to 23mm or so at the 12th

Over the next couple of days it’s final sanding and then the finish, following that it’s the final crown and dress. I’ve attached an image of another painted headstock from a neck I made last week.

here’s some pics:

(I think a razor blade is the one tool I couldn’t be without half the time)

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little exposition into my building process, lots more to come!

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markarkarkmarkarkark Frets: 139
    Love the body and headstock designs on these, as well as the reclaimed wood. That pau ferro looks much nicer than some of the stuff I've seen on recent (cheaper) Fenders, post CITES.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @TrentGuitars - great to see you on here Elliot!
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Brilliant- subscribed :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1717
    tFB Trader
    @TrentGuitars - great to see you on here Elliot!
    Thanks Simon! Great to hear from you too
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    Frets levelled, dressed and polished up, fretboard edges rolled and the ends are rounded but not too rounded so that you lose playing area.

so happy with the Bolivian rosewood/pau ferro boards
    tFB Trader

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132

I started the thread thinking dark green for the cedar and then there was that headstock. 

What about 3 p90s though, almost like the NR firebird (could be cool with a 5-way switch)? Loving these, seriously considering moving some gear on to fund one.
    tFB Trader

I started the thread thinking dark green for the cedar and then there was that headstock. 

What about 3 p90s though, almost like the NR firebird (could be cool with a 5-way switch)? Loving these, seriously considering moving some gear on to fund one.
    Hey bud! I certainly can make it that way, the triple
    p90 look is killer! Really appreciate the interest
    tFB Trader

Fully water based finish, and a very thinly applied one too!
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Great stuff, Elliott.
    We really need to see the orange though...  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    Great stuff, Elliott.
    We really need to see the orange though...  ;)
    Haha me too! Let I’ll shoot some primer on the cedar - I need to r&d the grain fill on it anyway! Poplar is flat as it gets - just like alder but Cedar will be much more like that textured novo finish without grain fill
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132

Fully water based finish, and a very thinly applied one too!
    Would love to see that with an aged pearl or parchment guard with black plastics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Just in case there's any confusion - the guitars are made with 2 piece Poplar bodies, the 'reclaimed' cedar is something I'm R&D'ing as a future option ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

The necks get a lightly tinted amber satin lacquer. I use concentrate in a dripper bottle into untinted water based lacquer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    Just in case there's any confusion - the guitars are made with 2 piece Poplar bodies, the 'reclaimed' cedar is something I'm R&D'ing as a future option ;-)
    I was wondering how you'd got such a flat finish on the cedar! I used it for some body builds years ago, and while I love the tone and weight of it, it's just an absolute B to prepare and finish properly :#
    Working on a model 1 body earlier today, 

the rear section of the guitar has a broad roundover - gives it this lovely pebble shape at the back, then it transitions into a smaller round, here I am fairing the transition 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Polishing up a body to end the week, 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    Oooh shiny 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Love that green.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom