Flipping Band Names

What's Hot
vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108
4 weeks and over 180 suggestions later, and 5 people still can't come to an agreement as to what they're calling themselves.

Honestly, I'm losing the will...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    The stunt doubles. 
  • vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108
    Thanks, but I think what we really need is fewer suggestions and a ruthless overlord to make a decision.  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    A Band grows into their name....no matter how stupid or boring it might appear at first.
    Biffy Clyro,  Radiohead ,The Rolling Stones, The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band......
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Knock out competition? 

Every band member gets to choose two names which are randomly drawn against each and voted on until a winner emerges. This doesn't work if you have an even number of band members. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    “Hot Karl”
    Knock out competition? 

Every band member gets to choose two names which are randomly drawn against each and voted on until a winner emerges. This doesn't work if you have an even number of band members. 
    Fortunately there are 5 of us and we were intending to do this.  But 3 people came out with their top 2, one (the drummer) hasn't contributed anything other than, "I don't like that", and shortly after one of the three switched their choices to two brand new entries, which is fine except they were both pre-existing bands.

A Band grows into their name....no matter how stupid or boring it might appear at first.
    Absolutely.  The most active participants in this exercise are the least picky at this point.

Think it's time for ultimatums and a firm hand, because we're at the point where we're starting to tout for bookings.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31487
     shortly after one of the three switched their choices to two brand new entries, which is fine except they were both pre-existing bands.

Think it's time for ultimatums and a firm hand, because we're at the point where we're starting to tout for bookings.
    This can be a problem, but don't sweat it too much unless you're going for world domination.

I picked a band name which was just something which amused me in the Profanisaurus and didn't find out until years later that there was an obscure band of the same name in the US a few decades ago.

There is also a DJ who's recently started gigging under the same name with a degree of success, but as long as we're more famous than he is within our gigging radius I'm just going to stick with it. 

My finalisation process was simple - come up with a name which no band member finds cringeworthy then go for it, and if you don't like it, leave. Democracy doesn't belong in bands, if it takes a month and 180 suggestions just for a name you will never get a setlist together.

Ultimately even most famous band names are a bit daft until you've heard them a couple of times, then it ceases to have any meaning. 

One tactic I've used a couple of times over the years is just to call it The (fill in the least reliable member's name) Band, so if they don't turn up it's only their name on the posters.
    :)
    p90fool said:
    if it takes a month and 180 suggestions just for a name you will never get a setlist together.

There's the dumb bit.  We got the set list together within a few weeks.  We were pretty much ready to go this time last year, after a dozen practices from scratch.

But I think we've settled on something now.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Call the band: "Ask stupid over there what the band name is" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    The Undecided
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10178
    Radiohead and the Rolling Stones are good band names imo.
  • Adam and The Cunts
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3012
    Thanks, but I think what we really need is fewer suggestions and a ruthless overlord to make a decision.  =)
    “Ruthless Overlord”.  That’s a great Metal band name, especially if it’s in that unreadable font that all the metal bands use these days.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    We were the 1180s for a while, cos no one could decide what we’d be , and the Rehearsal Studio had to have a name, so they took our work office address.  Was as good as anything else at the time
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    by "flipping band names" i thought you might've meant "zed leppelin", "fink ployd"  :#
    bbill335 said:
    by "flipping band names" i thought you might've meant "zed leppelin", "fink ployd"  :#
    Nope. Nor am I buying them and selling them on for a profit.  ;)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Nothing beats 'the Front Bottoms "
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Haha, just read this thread. Your initial post could have been written by me! We're going through EXACTLY the same. I am about ready to put a fork in my eye at this point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom