Ian Elson Guitars - AVOID!!

What's Hot

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    I think he should stick to making excuses instead of guitars. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:

But even they’re not very good.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    skunkwerx said:

Yeah but you get them on time tho’
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited July 2021
     B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    mendy said:
    skunkwerx said:

Look... I’m sorry for the delay in building your guitar. I’m not making excuses. The shipment from China was attacked by a Giant Squid. The parts I ordered are really rare and we need to wait for the beanstalk to grow before we can get more. I’ve already explained this. Regards, NoRefundsGuitars
    Did the giant squid get covid??
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    mendy said:
    skunkwerx said:

Look... I’m sorry for the delay in building your guitar. I’m not making excuses. The shipment from China was attacked by a Giant Squid. The parts I ordered are really rare and we need to wait for the beanstalk to grow before we can get more. I’ve already explained this. Regards, NoRefundsGuitars
    A big boy did it, then ran away.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    JerkMoans said:
    mendy said:
    skunkwerx said:

A big boy did it, then ran away.

Served me well over the years  ;)
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited July 2021

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    This is why i stick to the big name players, because i know what i'm getting - ok it's not quite so black and white and there are poor guitars made even by fender and gibson, but it's easier to determine their quality from public consensus. 
    tFB Trader
    @M1ck while it’s obvious that you have taken offence to a particular word being used to describe an unskilled worker it is by no means being applied in a derogatory manner by @FelineGuitars .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    M1ck said:
    @FelineGuitars ;;;;;;;;

But lets get back on point, many people doing the work described as menial simply have no choice, they probably have family to look after, rent or mortgage to pay, they may have ended up in such a position through no choice of their own and the only other option would be unemployment. A self-employed person – perhaps a guitar maker (other trades also qualify) – made a choice, no doubt motivated by, amongst other things, perceived financial incentives. I’m not self-employed so from a layman’s perspective the market for a self-employed persons service or product will have an effect on earnings, if the product or service is niche then compromises will probably need to be made.

I am in agreement with the notion that a person that has studied hard and has relevant experience and is providing quality service or products should be earning more than someone less well qualified or experienced – the reality is though, that’s not always the case.

You possibly picked a challenging week to continue this theme...

Having worked an extra 40 hours this week for a VAT return that needed to be tied up I have had a very long week at work for no increase in money. 
    I came close to thinking about jacking it all in  & going to see if Dominoes Pizza needed a new employee (i was once a pizza chef)

Your use of the Frost report sketch on class structure in UK to illustrate your point  was shall we say "interesting" to say the least

You possibly picture me sat somewhere in leafy Surrey with a Mercedes in the drive and and lovely big house, with a wife and kids and a couple of cats and dogs - nothing could be further from the truth.

I was born in and do live in Croydon (which isn't exactly idyllic) but my family all come from much closer to your neck of the woods in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. 
    I can't justify the cost of owning a car (I do have an old push bike). 
    I can't afford to own a home or even to rent a whole one of my own.
    And I felt I couldn't afford to have ever have had children doing the job pathway that I chose for myself 35 years ago, which is why I lost some of the meaningful long term relationships I had because I wasn't in a position for starting or providing for a family if I continued with the profession I chose.

Choosing to be a guitar maker was a PASSION and not centred around making money.
    If I hadn't jumped ship and stayed on the Physics course I was originally doing  life might have been very different.
    Interestingly ON DAY ONE of my luthiers college course we were told if you think you will make lots of money, think again and LEAVE NOW.

Ok - my job can be fun  because I am handling and looking after guitars, although in truth my job in recent years seems to be mainly looking after customers, looking after suppliers, and keeping lots of paperwork and red tape in order to keep HMRC happy.
    But my job is one where I help people with what may be a pleasurable part of their lives in playing music, owning and collecting guitars and that feels good. 
    So in reality my job is built on satisfaction and not money which is just as well as I don't get to keep a lot of that for myself.

As I said, I have done many, many jobs either before, in-between and as well as working on or with guitars.
    Many of those jobs were as I interpreted the word: menial (ones where with only a little bit of training or guidance I could do the job). 
    These jobs were welcome though and paid rent to keep a roof over my head.
    From shelf stacking in shops, to delivering leaflets and newspapers door to door, to warehouse work, to filing jobs in an office to being a kitchen porter and dishwasher to being a gardeners assistant I have done a lot of these jobs that keep society going.

So I value these jobs and the people who do them.

I'm glad that we agree on the idea of someone who has studied & worked in a career for many years and built a good reputation and a solid business making more money than someone with no training or skills on day 1 of a job that requires little or no background training, and that not everything in life is fair .

We have more similarities than differences, and I'm sorry if I used a word that inadvertently triggered you.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 50reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    ^  And this is yet another proof
    of how Jonathan and Feline are the polar opposite of the subject of this thread.
    What a gentleman and a star, we’re lucky to have him on this forum and IRL  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11553
    lysander said:
    ^  And this is yet another proof
    of how Jonathan and Feline are the polar opposite of the subject of this thread.
    What a gentleman and a star, we’re lucky to have him on this forum and IRL  <3
    Agreed.  It was a a thoughtful, well-considered and heartfelt post.  Jon deserves every success (and when I can squirrel away enough money to afford one of his V's, I'll contribute towards it!)  
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited June 2021
    I think it’s ok to call certain jobs ‘menial’ if the work content requires no skill. It doesn’t say anything about the class, skill, background etc of the person doing the job, nor should it. Though it’s also true to say that many so-called menial jobs actually do require a lot of skill, judgement, care, diplomacy, accuracy, stamina, and many other qualities that are not present in everyone. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    viz said:
    I think it’s ok to call certain jobs ‘menial’ if the work content requires no skill. It doesn’t say anything about the class, skill, background etc of the person doing the job, nor should it. Though it’s also true to say that many so-called menial jobs actually do require a lot of skill, judgement, care, diplomacy, accuracy, stamina, and many other qualities that are not present in everyone. 
    I totally agree. Conversely ‘menial’ jobs also provide an income for those who aren’t blessed with a great education or have not had life opportunities and skills enjoyed by others. That said, they are critical to the economy. These people are invaluable and if they are managed properly and made to feel worthwhile, they can enjoy as much job satisfaction as anyone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    One of my jobs requires a fair degree of initiative but is classed as menial as it's in a supermarket, the other one's even more menial as it mainly involves playing horrible songs to farmers. 

Luckily I don't base my self esteem on my job titles. 
    :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    p90fool said:
    ...the other one's even more menial as it mainly involves playing horrible songs to farmers. 

Holy shit: a real-life Wurzel!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I decided to have a nosy at the business page, it appears to be gone. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    And his bullshit continues… apparently his page was hacked :)

Seriously? Who’d hack that?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    poopot said:
    And his bullshit continues… apparently his page was hacked :)

Seriously? Who’d hack that?

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom