Wide flat neck, 12 fretted...suggestions?

What's Hot
m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
Considering something with  wide, 48mm at least or 1 7/8 fairly flat neck, with a 12 fret join to use as a finger picker. Probably to be strung with silk and steel and be reasonable amplified. 

Any suggestions? 

Oh yes. Has to be cheap. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    My Martin 0-16 NY fits that bill, but I'm not selling and I doubt any are cheap. But as something to set your sights at, I'd expect some "tributes" that are similar to be available. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    The only thing that immediately comes to mind is the Blueridge Historic Parlour series. They are not that easy to find but Hobgoblin Music are a stockist. They are very nice all-solid guitars with ebony fretboard. However, they are not cheap (start around £750) but I would think would give a similar Martin a run for its money. Electronics would need to be retrofitted.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ve got a very old 12 fret Supertone  for sale with a wide flat board 
    Its not the easiest combination to find
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
    edited June 2021
    mmmm. 

Also found a cheap one of these:

Anyone any experience of  the Guild westerly series? 

Scrap that. Mis-read the nut width.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited June 2021
    Washburn R314, 12 fret, 1 7/8 nut.
    Approx £500 from various retailers.

No idea on fretboard radius. No electronics. 
    Thanks for that heads up, too. It seems well laid out.

Shame they have made it vintagey. Personal preference but trying to make something look like something else kind of puts me off, however daft that may seem. 

Sorry to all relic'd strat owners.... :D
    Kilgore said:
    Washburn R314, 12 fret, 1 7/8 nut.
    Approx £500 from various retailers.

No idea on fretboard radius. No electronics. 
    I forgot about this. I had one of those a while back - but sold it because I found the tone a bit uneven and tinny. I actual tried silk and steels on it but that didn't help much. It had the rather strange Washburn triangular neck profile. I bought it for £200 from Gumtree, ace Glastonbury luthier Alan Miller converted it to left-handed (including bridge saddle angle) - and I sold it for over £700 in an eBay bidding war. I think it had a flat fretboard.

It doesn't come anywhere close to the Blueridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the comments so far. 

I see that most are 00 or Parlour sized. Anything in 000 or dread ?

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited June 2021
    m0rt said:
    Thanks for the comments so far. 

I see that most are 00 or Parlour sized. Anything in 000 or dread ?

Cheap, 12 fret, 1 7/8 nut, flattish fretboard, 000 or dred.

I think you might have to compromise on this wish list and decide which areas have wiggle room. 

Sigma do a 12 fret 000 but 1.75 nut. About £400 approx. 
    There's always the Washburn D34S dread - with 1 7/8" nut and 12 frets to the body - if you can find one. There is a 1995 one
    advertised here https://pickersfriend.co.uk/product/washburn-d34s-12-fret-1995  
  • Recording King ROS616 000 size, excellent value, I have one. The only problem is they are not made anymore so you will have to look for a second hand one.
    Recording King ROS616 000 size, excellent value, I have one. The only problem is they are not made anymore so you will have to look for a second hand one.
    One is come up on Reverb from a seller in Southampton https://reverb.com/uk/item/41352478-recording-king-ross-616-mahogany-2017-mahogany

The listing doesn't give much info but specs say the nut width is 1 13/16" - Approx 46mm
  • GTC said:
    Recording King ROS616 000 size, excellent value, I have one. The only problem is they are not made anymore so you will have to look for a second hand one.
    One is come up on Reverb from a seller in Southampton https://reverb.com/uk/item/41352478-recording-king-ross-616-mahogany-2017-mahogany

The listing doesn't give much info but specs say the nut width is 1 13/16" - Approx 46mm
    Mine is definitely 1 7/8", almost 48mm, but they may have changed the specs because most people don't like such a wide nut. They also used to make one with a spruce top, a great guitar for the money.
    Mine is definitely 1 7/8", almost 48mm, but they may have changed the specs because most people don't like such a wide nut. They also used to make one with a spruce top, a great guitar for the money.
    Manufacturers have an annoying habit of changing important specs like this. On the Reverb listing mentioned earlier it says refer to the Guitar Village site for specs - and that says 1 13/16" - but it is a recent 2017 model.
  • GTC said:
    Manufacturers have an annoying habit of changing important specs like this. On the Reverb listing mentioned earlier it says refer to the Guitar Village site for specs - and that says 1 13/16" - but it is a recent 2017 model.
    Yes, that's possible, but another possibility is that the person in Guitar Village taking the measurement wasn't very careful, it's only a 1/16 after all.
    This is the problem about buying "sight unseen", I am very fussy about neck dimensions and string spacing, so when I go to look at a guitar I always bring along a steel ruler and a calipers.
    GTC said:
    Yes, that's possible, but another possibility is that the person in Guitar Village taking the measurement wasn't very careful, it's only a 1/16 after all.
    This is the problem about buying "sight unseen", I am very fussy about neck dimensions and string spacing, so when I go to look at a guitar I always bring along a steel ruler and a calipers.
    Yes - nut width measurement precision can often by lacking. However, there are several online specs which quote the nut width for this model as 1 13/16". 

Agreed you should try preferably try it yourself or get someone to take a photo with measurements - and also look at the E to e string spacing which is just as important.

Looks a nice guitar though.
    thanks for the comments and recommendations and heads up. Really appreciate it. 

That Recording King looks rather interesting, too. 

I just need this Peerless to sell, now!

Not quite as wide but another potential is the Sigma 000m-15S+. 

Sigma’s take on the Martin 000-15SM which I have always had a soft spot for. 
    m0rt said:
    Not quite as wide but another potential is the Sigma 000m-15S+. 

Sigma’s take on the Martin 000-15SM which I have always had a soft spot for. 
    Nut width 44.5mm - if you are happy with this then there will be a lot more options to consider.
    meh. I saw on one site it was 1 13/16 so 46, however, looking elsewhere  - you are right.