PSA Glastonbury at the BBC

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
Very tempting to write Glasto just to see who it annoys but I’m being the bigger man…lots of sets from previous festivals posted on the iPlayer yesterday, available for 28 days. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Mike Scott (Waterboys) has a song called "Going Back to Glasters"...is that more or less acceptable?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I watched like, all of them last year... 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Whitecat said:
    I watched like, all of them last year... 
    …nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I think I looked at it last year, now you mention it.  And couldn't find anything I wanted to watch.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Philly_Q said:
    I think I looked at it last year, now you mention it.  And couldn't find anything I wanted to watch.
    It’s not very ROCK oriented but then Glasters never was. The Metallica set is on there. The Madness set is on there where they do AC/DC karaoke in the middle of it for no apparent reason. 
    I’ve started watching The Specials from 2009 which I don’t think was available for a while. Their last period when it was mostly original members including the now late John Bradbury. 
    The BBC don’t seem to dig deep into the archive and show a lot of the jazz and blues that was originally aired whereas you’d think the iPlayer was a great place to put those. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    You're right, it's certainly not very rock oriented, it's much more diverse than that.  Which is fair enough, I don't expect them to cater for me (in fact - veering off topic - I hate it when people go out of their way to cater for me, by providing food I'll eat or playing music I'll like - that just makes everyone uncomfortable, I'm happier just lurking around quietly and letting them get on with it).

I guess I grew up in the days when being a music fan was much more tribal, and I never grew out of it... I can't enjoy an indie rock band one minute, some African jazz the next and Kylie Minogue five minutes later.  There's just too much to irritate me.  Same reason I can't listen to music radio, I want to turn it off every other song.

I know a lot of people go to Glastonbury for the experience, sleeping in a tent, hanging out with their mates, getting pissed/high/stoned, rolling around in the mud then getting sunburn... the music is secondary.  But I don't enjoy any of that shite either.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4083
    Philly_Q said:
    You're right, it's certainly not very rock oriented, it's much more diverse than that.  Which is fair enough, I don't expect them to cater for me (in fact - veering off topic - I hate it when people go out of their way to cater for me, by providing food I'll eat or playing music I'll like - that just makes everyone uncomfortable, I'm happier just lurking around quietly and letting them get on with it).

I guess I grew up in the days when being a music fan was much more tribal, and I never grew out of it... I can't enjoy an indie rock band one minute, some African jazz the next and Kylie Minogue five minutes later.  There's just too much to irritate me.  Same reason I can't listen to music radio, I want to turn it off every other song.

I know a lot of people go to Glastonbury for the experience, sleeping in a tent, hanging out with their mates, getting pissed/high/stoned, rolling around in the mud then getting sunburn... the music is secondary.  But I don't enjoy any of that shite either.
    It’s good having a tribe , I think the tribalism also produced more die hard fans ,you had a passion for “your” music and your tribe , it’s not so prevalent now