Small monitors and wall mounting?

Most studio-quality monitors seem to be designed for mounting away from the wall. Are there any 4-5in models that are designed to perform reasonably well when wall-mounted (e.g. on bookshelves)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    There are monitors that are designed to be sofit mounted but they are big money.

Some monitors have switches on them that allow for divergent placement but they are only filters.
    You could look at room correction (Sonarworks etc) too.

It will always be an exercise in compromise.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    Yes, I'm happy to compromise for this speaker pair. These are not for mixing, just for stereo playback while recording (when I don't want to wear headphones).

I suppose I should avoid the models with rear-facing ports.
  • The Focal Alpha 50’s are designed for use in tight spaces. I bought some for my restricted space at home. They sound excellent.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I-louds, are perfect for this application. They have a built in mic stand socket, and I have mine clamped to a fold away desk, I'm in a small flat with no room for a desk.
    There are a few switches for compensations for positioning, and the V2 has built in room correction.
    Highly regarded when they were released, and are probably available fairly cheaply now, the V2 was twice the price.
    I'll look up the ones mentioned. Did the iLouds have some problems with failures of the speaker interconnect cable/socket? Maybe I am getting mixed up with something else. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Unless you have a huge room it's usually better to place the speakers close to the wall. Look up "speaker boundary interference response" or SBIR on Google.
    goldtop said:
    I'll look up the ones mentioned. Did the iLouds have some problems with failures of the speaker interconnect cable/socket? Maybe I am getting mixed up with something else. 
    TBH, I do recall something about that. The cable is quite a large diameter and fairly stiff, but I have had no problems with it.
    I have my speakers clamped, so there is no movement, but I suspect if they were free to move around there could be strain put on the sockets.
    Pretty amazing speakers for the price / size, and the bluetooth feature is nice to have. In a more serious setup I would possibly try the V2, as they ( IKmedia) seem to know what they are doing.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    When you say V2, do you mean the MTM?
    tekbow said:
    When you say V2, do you mean the MTM?
    yeah, TBH, I was actually referring to I loud micro monitors, the I loud is something else, but the V2 is this-MTM https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmtm/?pkey=iloud-mtm-pair-ts3max-bundle
    which is actually saying for £999, you are saving £10k, bit of a bargain really. Individually they are £349, against £250 a pair for the V1, but I am impressed.
    I knew the MTM ones got a great reception among mix-folk, but I don't need the mix-level specs for this pair. The standard iLouds would work for me. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited June 2021
    goldtop said:
    I knew the MTM ones got a great reception among mix-folk, but I don't need the mix-level specs for this pair. The standard iLouds would work for me. 
    I've got a pair lying around unused if you are interested.
    In perfect condition, I just have too many monitor sets and these were my travel pair, but I'm not travelling anymore.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited June 2021
    Stuckfast said:
    Unless you have a huge room it's usually better to place the speakers close to the wall. Look up "speaker boundary interference response" or SBIR on Google.
    I had a pair which had a cable failure. after getting a replacement under warranty, I have had no problems since. In any case, I am not to worried about it failing again after figuring that aftermarket replacement cables are easily available. 
    Branshen said:
    Stuckfast said:
    I had a pair which had a cable failure. after getting a replacement under warranty, I have had no problems since. In any case, I am not to worried about it failing again after figuring that aftermarket replacement cables are easily available. 
    That's good to know (especially as it looks like I'm buying Octa's set!)