Open Mics - Like & Dislikes!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    p90fool said:
    The best part was that the host used to grab two performers from the first batch who'd never met before and lock them in the pub kitchen for half an hour to write a song. That was a real ice-breaker, and it didn't matter if it was a bit crap as the entire audience was onside. 
    That's a thoroughly excellent idea! About 10 years ago we went on a late night radio station in Birmingham, the other guests were some burlesque dancers. We were told to write a song to play to a burrito stall on Broad Street to convince them to give us free Burritos. It was a lot of fun.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 408
    I prefer getting a set number of minutes to set up and play. I tend to do short songs - but some people will get the same number of songs but add several verses of widdling (not interesting enough to call soloing) or will spend ten minutes sound checking their gear before starting a song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Some people will take along music and lyrics and obviously need a stand for it.  Any lighting that's behind the performer may shine on to the said music and the glare may make it unreadable. From memory, I had some chords written in red ink and when the red lights flashed the chords disappeared.

It was a bit like Les Dawson playing the piano.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    edited June 2021
    Most of the things that make for good ones around my way (for both audience and participants) have largely been covered, but basically:
    • as the host, sheep dog the performers
    • start on time
    • clear playing order, even if it's a bit flexible as the evening develops (flexibility normally by getting regulars/people you know to shuffle about the order if it's going to help the flow)
    • give the next performer the nod before the current one starts their last song, so they can get ready (guitar out, tune up, etc.)
    • clear guidelines on either amount of time or number of songs (with a bit of flexibility - if it's a three-song rule but someone does really short ones, throw them another one; if they do a couple of epic ones, or try to cram in a stand-up routine around them, cut the buggers short)
    • introduce each person and lead the applause afterwards
    • be clear up front as to how much player gear is acceptable - yay/nay to bring your own amp/pedal board etc.
      (edit: perhaps not "up front", but be clear in your own mind what you're going to accept and what you aren't, so you're ready when some hero turns up with the control surface for the Starship Enterprise)
    • have someone to actively run the sound, at least for the start of each performer's set
    • only piss off out the back for a fag if it's someone you know and trust on stage

A lot of them around here develop a fairly regular set of attenders, plus the odd "walk-in" or "occasional", and lots of people are known to lots of others. That tends to lead to an environment where some people will just wander up and start sitting in on percussion, or harmonica or whatever. I quite like that, but not everyone does*. One of them the organiser always offers to sit in on cajon if you want etc.

The ones that are more painful are the ones that advertise a start time, but are never ready, and the host is running around in a tiz, they start about an hour late, no-one quite knows whats going on, mates get preferential treatment etc. etc.

*I should say that the people who do that only do it to other people they know, and are also competent. It's less good if you get someone with no sense of timing thumping the bongos or whatever
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    I’ve been to some where there is time limit rather than a number-of-songs limit on performers. Stops people playing three songs that are each the length of PF’s Echoes.

I actually went to something on Sunday where the microphone shields were changed after every performer - presumably to be covid compliant. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Shrews said:
    Some people taking it far too seriously. It's just a bit of fun and the rubbish players should be applauded just as much as the good. At one I went to it nearly kicked off because there was a couple chatting (not loud) and he stopped what he was doing and started pointing the figure at them spouting off about how much time he'd spent getting it right , blah, blah.

You're not doing a concert mate and nobody's paid to get in. In fact most people aren't even listening. Just get the fck on with it and get off. Miserable cnt.

So maybe a reminder to all the performers that they're not at the Royal Albert Hall.
    What im taking away from this is make sure you go to one where the organiser at least has halfstacks.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    p90fool said:
    I used to go to one where everyone booked in and was given a 15 minute or three song slot, and then at midnight it became less formal with more jamming. 

The best part was that the host used to grab two performers from the first batch who'd never met before and lock them in the pub kitchen for half an hour to write a song. That was a real ice-breaker, and it didn't matter if it was a bit crap as the entire audience was onside. 
    Thats awesome. I love that kinda thing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DazzaDazza Frets: 93
    p90fool said:
    I used to go to one where everyone booked in and was given a 15 minute or three song slot, and then at midnight it became less formal with more jamming. 

Loving the sound of that, once established I would defiantly give that a go! the three song limit is the way we are going to go and if time allows, a couple more.
    edited July 2021

@BenSirAmos Good point, the setting up element we are looking to help and keep slick as we can with a bit of chat about what they might need prior to the night cracking on.
    Snags said:
    Most of the things that make for good ones around my way (for both audience and participants) have largely been covered, but basically:
    • as the host, sheep dog the performers
    • start on time
    • clear playing order, even if it's a bit flexible as the evening develops (flexibility normally by getting regulars/people you know to shuffle about the order if it's going to help the flow)
    • give the next performer the nod before the current one starts their last song, so they can get ready (guitar out, tune up, etc.)
    • clear guidelines on either amount of time or number of songs (with a bit of flexibility - if it's a three-song rule but someone does really short ones, throw them another one; if they do a couple of epic ones, or try to cram in a stand-up routine around them, cut the buggers short)
    • introduce each person and lead the applause afterwards
    • be clear up front as to how much player gear is acceptable - yay/nay to bring your own amp/pedal board etc.
      (edit: perhaps not "up front", but be clear in your own mind what you're going to accept and what you aren't, so you're ready when some hero turns up with the control surface for the Starship Enterprise)
    • have someone to actively run the sound, at least for the start of each performer's set
    • only piss off out the back for a fag if it's someone you know and trust on stage

A lot of them around here develop a fairly regular set of attenders, plus the odd "walk-in" or "occasional", and lots of people are known to lots of others. That tends to lead to an environment where some people will just wander up and start sitting in on percussion, or harmonica or whatever. I quite like that, but not everyone does*. One of them the organiser always offers to sit in on cajon if you want etc.

The ones that are more painful are the ones that advertise a start time, but are never ready, and the host is running around in a tiz, they start about an hour late, no-one quite knows whats going on, mates get preferential treatment etc. etc.

*I should say that the people who do that only do it to other people they know, and are also competent. It's less good if you get someone with no sense of timing thumping the bongos or whatever
    What can I say, a perfect summation, thanks man! Thats the way we want to tackle it, how would we want one to be ran. The start time etc. is key as you say combined with good comms.
    HAL9000 said:
    I’ve been to some where there is time limit rather than a number-of-songs limit on performers. Stops people playing three songs that are each the length of PF’s Echoes.

I actually went to something on Sunday where the microphone shields were changed after every performer - presumably to be covid compliant. 
    Totally! Time limit also the other option if it creeps beyond the lengthy 3 song limit, need a time out sign! The shields we have covered but glad you picked up on it, nice to know others are doing it too.
  • are there any open jam sessions in london, I'm a guitarist and haven't tried to jam live spontaneosuly before, would be agood experience I think, let me know if you guys know of good ones thnaks
  • chomer75chomer75 Frets: 6
    edited September 2021
    Deleted - found answers on another thread!
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 145
    I love the openness and the inclusiveness that comes with some I’ve been to. I’ve found long term friends through them, formed bands through them and learned a heap about what songs do and don’t work well with an acoustic. 

I don’t like the number of people who don’t really prepare properly and take a book of chords and lyrics and mumble through songs in Ill suited keys, and poor timing. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Some open mic peeves:
    • The ‘star performer’ who turns up mid evening and expects to play straight away. They do their 3 songs then immediately leave because they’re not even slightly interested in hearing anyone else.
    • The band(s) who see it as their right to do an extended slot every week so it turns into a sort of old boys’ club where newcomers can’t get a look in.
    • Sessions that hugely overrun. I went to one Sunday afternoon open mic that was billed as 1.00 - 5.00pm. When I left at 10.30pm there was still a queue, literally, of people waiting their turn.
    You’ve definitely got the right approach @Dazza and there are excellent suggestions in this thread. Good luck with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited October 2021
    Suggest that it's best if first-timers are on ealrier as Open-Mics seem to get fuller as the night goes on, and there's less to  be intimidated by if you're up in the first hour.

Also, what to do with repeat bad performers ?  Get them up early and over with !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260
    edited October 2021
    I really don’t like the turn up, expect to play immediately and then leave as soon as you’ve done your turn types. That is absolutely not in the spirt of open mics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PBJPBJ Frets: 5
    People who are actually very good. Big fish, small pond. Also, the play & go ones. 

• I run one weekly in Chichester, pretty much all the points have been made already but the main things for me are:

Having a house band so there's always a fall back of something rehearsed and entertaining so non-musician punters (you know, the ones who actually buy beer) choose to stick around.

Having good equipment that musicians want to play thru, we have a couple of supro amps, nice pedal boards and a good drum kit with decent heads and cymbals - makes a big difference. 

Then it's just a case of all the house band members really being on it organising who's going next and making sure people know what they're doing etc, makes for quick changes and a fun and entertaining experience for the musicians and the drinkers.

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management