Tuners to replace original Yamaha ones

sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
Hello, I have an f310 that I have enjoyed for ten years or so but the b machine head is all crunchy and stiff.

Can anyone point me to a replacement compatible set.  I won't mind drilling as long as the original holes were covered.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    Try these guys. I found them easy to deal with although you may find cheaper on flea bay or Amazon.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    If you want to replace them you’re definitely going to have to drill it - there are no other tuners that fit those holes, if it’s the offset two-screw type I think it is (in online pics). No other tuners will completely cover both original screw holes unfortunately.

They’re probably the worst machineheads fitted on any modern guitar, but you could actually just replace the gear if you prefer - they can be taken apart easily. If you’d prefer to do that I could send you a selection of gears.

If you would prefer to replace the set, you need to decide whether you want the higher-quality diecast type with a threaded front collar - these need the headstock hole opening out at the back, which is a more complex job - or the vintage pressed-steel type, which will just need two new screw holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Thanks both.

It is those offset ones with two holes, yes.  I've always known they were cheap but they've worked alright!

I'm sure the others won't be far behind so I don't think it's worth repairing this one but I appreciate the offer @ICBM , thank you.

As to your advice for replacements, I'd be happier to not have to drill out the actual peg holes, I suppose, unless it was really worth it.  

I just kind of hoped there would be an obvious option!!  Like for 40-odd quid?  Sounds reasonable?

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    edited June 2021
    Possibly something like this on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musiclily-Semiclosed-Guitar-Tuners-Machine/dp/B015IYVVT6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=DLCASRWZ8C5J&dchild=1&keywords=guitar+tuning+machines&qid=1624918300&sprefix=guitar+tuning+machines%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-6

for a tenner. I don't know if they will fit but it is worth a try (the dimensions are shown in the last picture on the listing). There are other options with the offset two screwhole type for around the same price. Just do a search on Amazon for "Guitar Tuning Machines"