HX Stomp Home vs Live

What's Hot
bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
I got an HX Stomp over lockdown and it has become an integral part of my setup. I've been rehearsing remotely as a new member of an already established band using Jamulus and I've been going direct out of the HX Stomp into an audio interface, and have set up all my patches with modelled amps+cabs accordingly.

The band has a first gig since lockdown at the end of this month, for which I intend to use the stomp into my Dr Z Maz 18.  I'll need to convert my patches so that they will work into the amp. 

The best strategy I can come up with so far is to use various drives to try to get close to the sound of the modelled amp/cab combinations, but going to have really limited opportunity to test at volume ahead of the gig.

Alternative options I'm considering are to go from the stomp into the FX return on the amp or to skip the amp altogether and go from the Stomp straight into the PA. 

Buying a FRFR cab is currently out of the question financially. 

Needs to be as failsafe as possible as don't want to let the new band down with a technical glitch, so I'm avoiding using 4 cable method which I think introduces too many points of failure.

Anything I'm missing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    In to the FX return and disable the cab sims in your patches.  Give it a whirl at volume before the gig if possible.  Ive done it on the fly when we turned up at a gig with 'PA provided' and there were no monitors so went in to the FX return of a HRD and it sounded fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I use a BOSS GT-1000 rather than a Helix, but assuming the routing is flexible (and that was one of the things that the Helix is really good at, if I recall) you can set it up for the best of both worlds. Take your modelled output to the PA with your mic and cab emulation on but on your patches, add a second output (perhaps through one of the loops on the Helix) with the cab and mic sims off. Take that to the FX return of your amp. If there's no master output level on the Helix, you will want to put a volume pedal/block before it hits the power amp, or configure one of the knobs to act as master volume output from that block.

I run my modeller like this so I can do either "silent stage" PA only or go my amp (or a borrowed one if I have to). It's also possible to do both so the PA gets a decent consistent sound and I can get my trousers flapping if the venue allows it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
    John_A said:
    In to the FX return and disable the cab sims in your patches.  Give it a whirl at volume before the gig if possible.  Ive done it on the fly when we turned up at a gig with 'PA provided' and there were no monitors so went in to the FX return of a HRD and it sounded fine
    Thanks @John_A , hoping to get at least one opportunity to try at volume ahead of the gig.
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
    I use a BOSS GT-1000 rather than a Helix, but assuming the routing is flexible (and that was one of the things that the Helix is really good at, if I recall) you can set it up for the best of both worlds. Take your modelled output to the PA with your mic and cab emulation on but on your patches, add a second output (perhaps through one of the loops on the Helix) with the cab and mic sims off. Take that to the FX return of your amp. If there's no master output level on the Helix, you will want to put a volume pedal/block before it hits the power amp, or configure one of the knobs to act as master volume output from that block.

I run my modeller like this so I can do either "silent stage" PA only or go my amp (or a borrowed one if I have to). It's also possible to do both so the PA gets a decent consistent sound and I can get my trousers flapping if the venue allows it.
    This does sound like best of both worlds, thanks @vasselmeyer - will give it a go
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Check this brilliant video out;