SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB, A Mac of some sort

What's Hot
keithfkeithf Frets: 371
Looking for something cheap and cheerful.  I've never used one before.
Just needs to be able to run hx edit and maybe some sort of daw. I'm thinking maybe an imac or maybe a mini that I can add my own monitor to. 
Some advice would be useful.let me know what you have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    Sounds like a great piece of kit.
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    keithf said:
    Sounds like a great piece of kit.
    I highly recommend the M1 Mac Mini. I picked one up and it blows away the Intel 8-Core Mac Pro it replaced. They're usually on offer every few weeks on Amazon.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Be mindful that there is some software still not fully compatible with the M1 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    As good as the M1 mini is it does cost £600 and then you need a monitor. 

A 10 year old iMac cost around £150 and will do what you need. I have 5 of them, all doing various things but the one I use as a DAW is a 2007 so pretty old but has no problem running 30 odd tracks in Protools, did a whole album on it recently. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds ideal for what I need. 
    Looks like I missed a few around here
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    I would add that if you buy a used Mac and need to run up to date editors for Line 6 and DAWs, then don't buy anything over 3-4 years old.

My Mac collection has ones from 2005 in it, just they don't like any of the new operating systems, which can an issue with modern music-making software. This is why I have them, as I have a shed ton of cracking vintage software too!

I have a good friend that gets refurbished Macs and upgrades them properly, and he sells them with guarantees and does free cover etc

https://www.overair.co.uk

Just ask for Rob, and say Jef sent you. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    stonevibe said:
    I would add that if you buy a used Mac and need to run up to date editors for Line 6 and DAWs, then don't buy anything over 3-4 years old.

My Mac collection has ones from 2005 in it, just they don't like any of the new operating systems, which can an issue with modern music-making software. This is why I have them, as I have a shed ton of cracking vintage software too!

I have a good friend that gets refurbished Macs and upgrades them properly, and he sells them with guarantees and does free cover etc

https://www.overair.co.uk

Just ask for Rob, and say Jef sent you. 

Yup, Line6 Pod Farm, UX-series and Pod Farm Plug-in still don't work with Catalina onwards. Its a bugger, because I still rate PF as a great platform for guitarists to get latency free great tone. That said, my new Mac runs the latest version of Abelton which is superb... that won't run on my old MacBook Pro as the OS is too old and can't be rolled forwards any further.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    keithf said:
    needs to be able to run hx edit and maybe some sort of daw. I'm thinking maybe an imac or maybe a mini that I can add my own monitor to.
    What are the system requirements for your music software programs?

What connector plug format(s) does your standalone monitor have? 

IBM-compatible keyboards will work with Macs but you have to do some configuring routine first. Even then, some functions will be either wrongly labelled, in the wrong place or entirely absent. e.g. An optical drive eject button. 

If you choose a Mac Mini, you could elect to purchase an Apple-compatible keyboard with the appropriate DAW shortcuts printed on it. These definitely help with learning new software and save time whilst editing.
    Be seeing you.
    I've no idea to be honest. 
    Line 6 hx edit is essential, anything else doesn't matter at this point.

• sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 723
    keithf said:
    I've no idea to be honest. 
    Line 6 hx edit is essential, anything else doesn't matter at this point.

i have a mac mini 2020 m1 with upgraded ssd for £600
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I’ve got a 2011 13” MBP that you could have for not a lot in fact I’ve got two, one which works, one which doesn’t 
    I wish i new what i needed, 
  • 2017 15 inch MacBook Pro for sale from me, battery in excellent shape, model with the slightly upgraded 2.8ghz i7 processor, would let it go for someone who needs it for £800 which is a pretty good bargain!