Alternative to Behringer P2 with proper limiter?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1190
I’m deaf enough already, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a similar IEM amp to the P2 but with a proper limiter? 

Thanks.

cam f
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Behringer P1.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    You can't have a limiter on a headphone amp that will work the same with all IEM's ... it would have to be calibrated for a known sensitivity of model IEM at a known impedance. 

You plug a head into 2 different cabs and the more sensitive speakers in one cab will produce more volume ... so you could only set a volume limit that applied to one known speaker ... with other speakers could be too loud or too quiet. It's the same same with IEM's and headphone amps. 

Most headphone amps will have current limiting on the output so shorted broken headphones don't kill the output stage but it's not proper volume limiting. The best thing you can do to protect your hearing is get a good seal on the IEM's so you don't need excessive volume to hear everything perfectly. I've been on IEM's for 15 years and had no problems so far. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Thanks @Danny1969  I was hoping you might help out, as you seem to have some great real world experience with this. :)

That all makes sense. So are you happy to use the P2? I'd been looking at the LD Systems HPA 1 but it's twice the price and I'm not sure it's a serious upgrade. I'm pretty much going with your advice on trying to start using a wired system with a combo IEM/Guitar cable. Like others here, much appreciate your input on this. Thanks.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Danny1969 said:
    You can't have a limiter on a headphone amp that will work the same with all IEM's ... it would have to be calibrated for a known sensitivity of model IEM at a known impedance. 

This.

I have an LD Systems HPA1, a Behringer P2 as a backup and, since June of this year, I've replaced these with a Behringer PM-16 system.  On any of these with the volume / limiter set switching from my custom moulds to a set of KZ ZS10's and the volume rockets up.

A limiter is good to prevent you getting caught out by spikes but ultimately it's up to you to not crank the volume too high.  Very often people will keep asking for things to be pushed up in their mix.  I always tell people - don't tell me what needs to come up, think about what needs to come down.

Behringer P1.
    Ah! Doh! I was mixing up the P1 and the PM1, thinking they were the same thing. So would you recommend the P1 over the P2? 
  • I’ve only ever used the P1 as I prefer a stereo mix through iem’s, so I can’t compare. The sound quality of the P1 is excellent though.
    But I think you can use the P2 in stereo too, but you need a 2into1 cable. It talks about that here http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/930 Is this right? Jeezo, IEMs are tricky for the inexperienced. :)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    camf said:
    But I think you can use the P2 in stereo too, but you need a 2into1 cable. It talks about that here http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/930 Is this right? Jeezo, IEMs are tricky for the inexperienced. :)

You can.  As well as requiring the appropriate cable there is also a mono / stereo switch hidden away inside.  It’s easy enough to access the switch, you just slide the cover off as you would do to change the battery, but it can be a bugger to locate.

• PhilMPhilM Frets: 278
    I have a mix of P1s and P2s that I use with the band for silent rehearsals in my living room. I feed them from my XR-18 with the bus compressor acting as a hard limiter.