Watch a middle aged man who looks like a geography teacher play some guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Chuffola said:
    Rocker said:
    In the context of a song, that playing might fit the bill perfectly.  In isolation though, it sounds like noise.
    I sometimes award a "LOL" where I haven't actually laughed out loud - just found something amusing. But this actually did make me laugh - and out loud at that.  Not sure that was Rocker's intention. 
    Nah… @rocker ‘s intent was to piss on something he 1) doesn’t like and 2) can’t do!!!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Rocker said:
    In the context of a song, that playing might fit the bill perfectly.  In isolation though, it sounds like noise.
    I'm afraid I have to agree.  But hey, our opinions mean nothing - as long as he's enjoying himself and having fun with his gear, that's what it's all about and its all that matters!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2021
    I mean.... it's just an ignorant thing to say, and it's rooted (in Rocker's case anyway) in a general dislike for me, rather than the video itself. He'd deny it till he's blue in the face, but it's patently obvious. And he's one of few members on this forum who has threatened physical violence against another member. His opinion on pretty much everything is trash - he's a complete embarrassment.

I'd never call you guys' blues wank "just noise" - I'd call it wank noise at the very least! lol

Anyway, as a mate said to me today when we were guffawing about this issue:

I love the line from Rick & Morty - "Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what makes you cheer."

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Proper love that DD8 video.

You should have an ambient side project and call it Clint and Gryke
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Proper love that DD8 video.

You should have an ambient side project and call it Clint and Gryke
    There's something really inspirational about having a few pedals on a board, that don't know anything about each other, that don't sync with each other, that don't interact with each other in anyway, save to feed the next output in the line.

You can come up with some gems when you just tit around and turn knobs.

Bye!

I mean.... it's just an ignorant thing to say, and it's rooted (in Rocker's case anyway) in a general dislike for me, rather than the video itself. He'd deny it till he's blue in the face, but it's patently obvious. And he's one of few members on this forum who has threatened physical violence against another member. His opinion on pretty much everything is trash - he's a complete embarrassment.

I'd never call you guys' blues wank "just noise" - I'd call it wank noise at the very least! lol

Anyway, as a mate said to me today when we were guffawing about this issue:

I love the line from Rick & Morty - "Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what makes you cheer."

Still… be good to see @Rocker ’s blews wank vid… but I guess it’s just less work to criticise folk that actually play rather than put himself out there innit?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited July 2021
    I walked around the Isle of Skye in my Tacoma T Shirt so expect a flurry of requests to play in Scotland. 

I don’t in the slightest bit think that you have to be able to ‘do better’ in order to criticise anything but I do think it’s not in the spirit of the forum to post uninvited negative comments on anything of a member’s own work that they have posted - wether that person cares or not as it’s exactly the thing that puts people off posting. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I walked around the Isle of Skye in my Tacoma T Shirt so expect a flurry of requests to play in Scotland. 

I don’t in the slightest bit think that you have to be able to ‘do better’ in order to criticise anything but I do think it’s not in the spirit of the forum to post uninvited negative comments on anything of a member’s own work that they have posted - wether that person cares or not as it’s exactly the thing that puts people off posting. 

I think you don't have to be able to "do better", but you should at least have some appreciation of the music you are criticising.

I don't like that metal tone because as someone who listens to metal all the time you've over scooped the mids is valid. I don't like that metal tone because I only like blues is not.
  • Ehhh... I've had my asshole moments when critiquing people as well. We're all human.

Bye!

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376

I've done the same in the NE of England, although I suspect people just think that that I'm a not quite bottomed out derelict, or a fan of Jeff Bridges as the Dude.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    My input seems to have caused a great deal of mirth.  Not a problem actually.  Some time ago I saw a TV program that analysed Bohemian Rhapsody.  The individual parts were pretty uninspiring and some sounded utter dirge.  But when the bits were mixed down, we ended up with a classic song.  Freddie knew what he wanted and the bits he requested played, were like the pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.

I am aware that Drew is involved in recording and that type of work.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt that this guys playing could be used in some way on one of his records.  I replayed the track and, while it sounds nothing short of noise to me, I would not laugh at anyone's playing, however bad, unless they played badly deliberately, not being able to perform some technical move on the guitar is not something to be laughed at.  I admire such players who feel the need to try to learn such technical skills.  As for my playing standard, it does what I want and I have no great desire to take it any further.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Hmmm, more of a physics teacher I think.
    Rocker said:
    My input seems to have caused a great deal of mirth.  Not a problem actually.  Some time ago I saw a TV program that analysed Bohemian Rhapsody.  The individual parts were pretty uninspiring and some sounded utter dirge.  But when the bits were mixed down, we ended up with a classic song.  Freddie knew what he wanted and the bits he requested played, were like the pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.

I am aware that Drew is involved in recording and that type of work.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt that this guys playing could be used in some way on one of his records.  I replayed the track and, while it sounds nothing short of noise to me, I would not laugh at anyone's playing, however bad, unless they played badly deliberately, not being able to perform some technical move on the guitar is not something to be laughed at.  I admire such players who feel the need to try to learn such technical skills.  As for my playing standard, it does what I want and I have no great desire to take it any further.
    The thing is, Drew sticks a video of himself up and you comment that it sounds like noise…

it was just a bit of a little bitch thing to say!!!!!!

Rocker said:

As for my playing standard, it does what I want and I have no great desire to take it any further.
    Music peaked with Layla right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    Rocker said:

The thing is, Drew sticks a video of himself up and you comment that it sounds like noise…

it was just a bit of a little bitch thing to say!!!!!!

Rocker said:

As for my playing standard, it does what I want and I have no great desire to take it any further.
    Music peaked with Layla right?
    Music peaked with ol' blind man Gerrard playing the dulcima down t'old Pot & Noodle last Friday.

Bye!

Perhaps we should have a “rockers critique” thread…

we can post our stuff and he can tell us how crap it is!…
  • You don't look like a Geography teacher at all. Where's the North Face fleece and wellies?
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    poopot said:

that would be a great podcast. It could start out with only mildly challenging music like ac/dc and gradually take him further and further out of his comfort zone until he's being subjected to sun(O))))) or Atari Teenage Riot. 

It might break him though. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

that would be a great podcast. It could start out with only mildly challenging music like ac/dc and gradually take him further and further out of his comfort zone until he's being subjected to sun(O))))) or Atari Teenage Riot. 

It might break him though. 
    He’s be broken by AC/DC to be fair…

start with some Mary Hopkins and gradually move up to Eric knopfler.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    More Lab technician than Geography teacher to me ...........needs more cardigan !
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    edited July 2021

And now I'm Johnny-ing about with a Boss DD8.
    Didn't realise a Dd8 could sound like like that. 
    I'm way behind on my pedal knowledge, but after seeing and hearing that, I want one....

Edit: There's more than just a delay going on there, right?